Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11/21)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11/21)

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 pm

phpBB [video]

Most interesting parts :

(5:10) About MAGIC 2016 in February
There will be a progress statement. Normally, we have the ambition to show a trailer... well rather a teaser I'd like to clarify, with the first true reliable images so we're ambitious. At least, we'll see new things like images, explanations about the game, story, etc.

(16:29) About Yu Suzuki
He's very nice, infact we are basically great pals, that's the reason we work together as well and he's a very humble person (note : Cédric stresses this point during the video because not all the creators he knows are friendly in the gaming/anime universe and sometimes act like divas). I think he is humble because he did everything that was possible to do in the sector of gaming. I was always fascinated when he showed me photos of him with Spielberg or Mickael Jackson but with calm, not as someone like a stalker. And you know what, it was those people who were happy to be pictured with Suzuki because his games provided them a lot of fun and they wanted to collaborate with him. So he doesn't boast at all about it, he's really supercool, we get on very well, and above all, we often drink good wine together. He likes wine, so I do. It's generally the common lot of our discussions (laughs).
Question : Which wine is his favorite ?
Cédric : Well it's a bit of expansive wine (laughs). He enjoys the really great wines, the Château Margaux, etc.
Q : And Romanée-Conti, and goes on...
C : So, yeah I admit we didn't reach this level together yet but we drunk some Château Margaux from his own wine cellar.
Q : His Tokyo-based wine cellar, isn't it ?
C : Yeah, a mini wine cellar in his office at his home but I will say nothing because I own a wine cellar in my office too so I refuse to make fun of him (laughs).

(18:35)
C : The production is progressing well, we're not late at all, it's still planned for Christmas 2017 as we decided. You know, a big interest is there, it's a traditional month for the players. Ok there are other moments in the year but it's usually better to release a game at Christmas.

Q : Since when you're working on Shenmue III before the announcement exactly ?
C : I admit we're not talking a lot about things like that, I don't want to be already impolite but (laughs) it's kind of confidential.

(19:51)
Sega is the IP owner. So for us, making Shenmue III is a huge risk because we don't own the IP. If you own the IP, that means you make a big return on investment. In our case for example, our return on investment will only be from the sales, period. We will not see the money generated by the goodies for example.

I think there are 200 000 big fans.

About AAA status
(Shenmue III) will not be Call of Duty but it will be a really good PS4 game and will easily meet the current PS4 standards.

My hidden goal was $5 million (for kickstarter).

(23:45)
What I anticipate is that Sega releases Shenmue I & II HD. Of course I must make clear that's not official but just what I wish. For me, it's the only viable way for selling well Shenmue III, so beyond the fans network. We also thought about doing a little manga or animation based on Shenmue I & II story but that's nothing compared to remake Shenmue in HD version. About the question you ask me about the hype, while it did not influence us, I think it can for others. I have the feeling that now everybody is interested in Shenmue, for example, at the companies level, to release related goodies.

Q : When was your first encounter with Yu Suzuki, how, and around which wine you seduced him ?
C : Basically, I was interested to meet him. I met him in Tokyo thanks a common friend. Then we talked about a lot of things, firstly Shenmue of course as a fan but I'm also fan of Virtua Fighter so we had a lot of common things to talk. I also bring him to an event in the south of France, then the Anime Game Show at Monaco in 2013 where the official discussion about Shenmue seriously started out because before this moment, it was really impossible as Sega didn't want to let the IP at all. So we're become real friends and we met again several times at San Francisco. We also did together the GDC , the Napa Valley as you mentionned wine. So we indeed drunk all the great American wines while discussing about how to find fundings for Shenmue III. Well it looks quite simple but you know, I do my business since almost 15 years in Japan, you can't meet Yu Suzuki so easily but thanks my job, the doors open a little more easily.

Q : Indeed, a bit like the Jet Set. The hardest part is to get in, and you did it.
C : I would say rather the Jet Set of Gaming (laughs)

(40:08)
Q : How many people are working on Shenmue III development, currently and actively ?
C : Well, our friend Suzuki didn't allow me to talk. He said to me "Don't talk about it, they will discuss again, etc". So sorry I can't answer your question (laughs).

Q : But it's a lot of people, isn't it ?
C : Yes of course, it's a video game so there is a minimum. Moreover, since the annoucement in June, we received so many requests from people who want to participate in the developement, that never stops ! There are even developers who want to work FOR FREE, it's insane. Then it smoothed down a little. For the Shibuya Production mail, I receive personally only 3 or 4 emails per week while in June, it was crazy, they were dozens and dozens of people per day, phone calls with "We want to participate in Shenmue III". [...] There were Australians, Japaneses, Ukrainians... they weren't random guys in their garages but true studios !

Q : Can we suppose that the team, although mainly Japanese, is pretty international ?
C : The team is essentially Japanese but with indeed some foreigners who live in Japan, who speak Japanese. You know that if you don't speak Japanese, it's very complicated... well I'm saying but I don't speak Japanese (laughs), but if you're working among a team, it's difficult.

(41:57)
Q : Will the PC version be optimized compared to the PS4 version ?
C : Good question, I would say "Yes".

(56:15)
Q : Outside the kickstarter, will a physical version be available ?
C : Yes absolutely.

(59:10)
Q : Will the PS4 and PC versions cost a different price ?
C : No at the moment but it's something that can change for multiple reasons. But at the moment, no.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:19 am, edited 26 times in total.

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Cédric Biscay interview by Desert Bus de l'Espoir (15/11

Postby Amir » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks for this, just to add that after the 5 minute mark he says the goal is to have a teaser trailer ready for Monaco in February, but at the very least there will be some new images and info.

Amir has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:19 pm

Physical release in store? Excellent!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hanzumon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:30 pm

Peter wrote: Physical release in store? Excellent!

Anything else would not work.

Another question: Why Yu Suzuki & Co. don´t say, that there will be no XBox One Version.

Nobody today believes in a xbox one version. Why Yu doesn´t say, that Shenmue III will only be avaibal for PS4 and PC?
Hanzumon
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Who cares that it's not on Xbox One. I own an Xbox one and not a PS4 and it doesn't make a bit of difference to me. Could be released for the Gameboy, and those who are a fan of the franchise will do what's necessary to buy and play this game.

Peter has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Hanzumon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:26 pm

Peter wrote: Who cares that it's not on Xbox One. I own an Xbox one and not a PS4 and it doesn't make a bit of difference to me. Could be released for the Gameboy, and those who are a fan of the franchise will do what's necessary to buy and play this game.

I bought a PS4 after the announcement of Shenmue III ;)

I don´t understand, why on the paypal compaign they still say, that a XBox One Version is possible. Thats all ...
Hanzumon

Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:32 pm

I wondered that too, but the only sensible conclusion I can think of is that they are just being respectful. It's not gonna be an "ahahahaa fuck you" attitude towards Xbox. For all they know, Shenmue III could well exceed expectations, and Microsoft swoop in and sign a publish and develop exclusivity deal for Shenmue 4.

Never burn your bridges.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Tuet0ne » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:47 pm

"There will be physical versions in stores". I cannot wait to walk in to a store and see Shenmue 3 on the shelf... That will be quite an experience.
Tuet0ne
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Tuet0ne
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: AC Syndicate

Postby Peter » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:05 pm

It means they will be getting another 2 copies bought by me. Possibly more depending on the PC retail. I will have my Kickstarter exclusive PC sealed and PC opened, PS4 sealed and opened. Then general retail PC sealed and opened as well as PS4 sealed and opened.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Oh yes! physical copies on the store! hopefully that also means that there will be copies on places like Amazon ect..
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:35 pm

Hanzumon wrote:
I don´t understand, why on the paypal compaign they still say, that a XBox One Version is possible. Thats all ...

If they refuse to say that the Xbox One version is impossible, that just means it's technically possible. It will possibly be there 6 or 12 months after the PS4 release since Sony didn't invest ton of money in Shenmue III (Cédric again stressed this point in the video about the minus role played by Sony compared to Shibuya and YSnet).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby James Brown » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Tuet0ne wrote: "There will be physical versions in stores". I cannot wait to walk in to a store and see Shenmue 3 on the shelf... That will be quite an experience.

Yeah man definately! Can't wait to move all the cases on the shelf so it's eye level and infront of all the games...and in those stores that do a top 10 / 20 releases shelf, move all the cases to number 1 :D
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Kiske » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:51 am

Great interview :)

Thank you for the translation Yokosuka!

What I anticipate is that Sega releases Shenmue I & II HD. Of course I must precise it's not official but just what I wish. For me, it's the only viable way for selling well Shenmue III, so beyond the fans network.

Absolutely 100% true!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby japalp » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:59 am

What's interesting about that line from Cedric is that he is one of the main promoters of Shenmue 3. For him to say that remakes of the first two games is the only viable option to ensure better sales and attract newcomers gives me hope that he feels there is a very strong possibility that remakes are on the way.
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby Giorgio » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:14 am

(Shenmue III) will not be Call of Duty but it will be a really good PS4 game with easily the current standing.

? I don't understand what the "with easily the current standing" means.

Q : How many people are working on Shenmue III development, currently and actively ?
C : Well, our friend Suzuki didn't allow me to talk. He said me "Don't talk about it, they will discuss again, etc". So sorry I can't answer your question (laughs).

«He said to me "Don't talk about it, they will discuss again, etc"». I believe Yu Suzuki meant the courrupted gaming journalists will make a big deal out of a detail, again.

Q : Outside the kickstarter, will a physical version be available ?
C : Yes absolutely.

I believe Cedric Biscay meant the PC version, because that's the one he is responsible for. For the PS4 version, only SONY has the upper hand.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Next

Return to Shenmue III