Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:44 pm

A manager I passed the script to read it and liked it, so now she's passing it along to a director she represents.

It's beginning.

Kenny has received 7 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Amir, Axm, Henry Spencer, myshtuff, OL, Raithos
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Mr357 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:08 pm

Kenny wrote: A manager I passed the script to read it and liked it, so now she's passing it along to a director she represents.

It's beginning.

Great to hear! I hope it doesn't stop there.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Kenny
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Nice congrats! Amazon studios passed on my script. :(

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Kenny
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:34 pm

That sucks, man.

Not sure if they changed their standards, but they had a pretty messed up procedure when it came to compensation. Like you won't get any residuals unless it met a certain threshold in terms of gross if it was released theatrically.

If you have an actual script, you're better off emailing managers and agents with the logline unless you want to make it yourself. Which in case, you need to raise the money or find someone who can.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Kenny wrote: That sucks, man.

Not sure if they changed their standards, but they had a pretty messed up procedure when it came to compensation. Like you won't get any residuals unless it met a certain threshold in terms of gross if it was released theatrically.

If you have an actual script, you're better off emailing managers and agents with the logline unless you want to make it yourself. Which in case, you need to raise the money or find someone who can.

Yeah I am not sure how that piece works so who knows. As for getting in touch with managers, how do you recommend doing that? Where do I go to get that info?
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Find out what genre and premise your script fits under (in my case it was a Contained Thriller and the premise is a guidance counselor who is held hostage by a student), then look up films that are similar to that on IMDB, look up the writer's info on IMDBPro and jot down the contact info for their managers and agents, then proceed to contact them by phone or email stating you have a script (and say the logline if it's an email) and you're looking for representation. That's the approach Andrew Kevin Walker did and it got his script, Se7en, made into a film.

Another way to go about it is to look up directors who directed similar projects, get their people's info, and then tell them you have a script that fits into their repertoire. That's the approach we did and it worked.

It all depends if you just want to sell it or seek representation. But if you want representation (ie a person to lobby for you and get more work) you need to not only give them a really good script but also prove to them you can do more than one. If you just want to sell a script, then just reach out to directors or their people.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: Amir, myshtuff
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:26 pm

That's really helpful. Thank you. I'll start looking into it. This is just a hobby of mine as I already have a full time career, but I figured I'd give writing a shot to see what happens. The first script I wrote is a comedy television series so I'll see what I can dig up.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:45 pm

A TV series will be a tougher thing to sell. You're not just pitching one single feature, you're pitching entire season worth of material. That's alot of money right there and TV shows get cancelled all the time. You're gonna need a TV treatment/bible which encompasses the entire series (basically telling the executives why they should bother investing in this as a show and justifying its longevity) and, more importantly, you need to have alot of experience in television already for them to consider it.

It wouldn't hurt to try anyway. You might run into people who would want to turn it into a feature or a web series. But your success rate is higher if you're pitching a feature film screenplay.

Kenny has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Applied to universities a fortnight ago. Got my first reply. The course requires I get a Distinction (highest possible mark) from my current course. They're only asking that I get a Merit. Fucking. BOOM.

MiTT3NZ has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Henry Spencer, Kenny
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:25 pm

Just finished the first legitimate story I've ever written all the way through. Good learning experience, actually sitting down to plot something out, figure out all the important details, then actually connect and implement it all cohesively. I've always felt like I have really good ideas (and an above-average sense for language, so I know how to make prose sound good), but actually structuring them as a final narrative, I think, is harder than most people imagine.
Only problem is, I'm not sure how publishable it really is. It reads well and all that, but it certainly doesn't fit into a truly discernible genre necessarily, and it turned out quite a bit longer than most places will accept for short fiction (just over 14000 words). I think if I actually want it published I may have to go a bit gimmicky with it and perhaps illustrate it, turn it into a sort of "adult" storybook. Might be an interesting sell if I make a series of watercolor-over-ink images for it, make it a full package like that.

Either way, I'm now moving on to my next story, which I'm actually planning as a full novel (and I have ideas for two sequels already). Mostly just planning at the moment, but the planning is going really well. Kind of an industrial fantasy sort of thing (not steampunk though; god, I hate that overexposed crap). I have all the most important characters, locations, and plot points worked out, but I want to make sure the world is really fleshed out, so I'm trying to create a bit of a bible for it right now. This story is much more fun than the last one though, so I'm enjoying it a lot. Lots of skull-cracking and wise-cracking. All kinds of cracking, really.

OL has received 5 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm, Henry Spencer, Kenny, Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Fuck all you writin-ass motherfuckers.

Rakim has received 5 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, myshtuff, OL, Raithos
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby OL » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:58 pm

Yeah, I thought it was weird, I come on here to post about that and people are already talking about writing.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, Rakim
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:44 am

I still don't understand why humans need social identity.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:22 pm

If you think it's ready to go, OL, I'd love to read it. :)
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Do you guys have to patent your scripts before you mail them to folks?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic