What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Thief » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:08 pm

I'm doing a self-imposed "Month of 21st Century Horror" where I watch a horror movie every couple of days from now until the end of February (that were released post turn of the millennium). So far I've watched Orphan and The Ring.

I guess I started out really strong, because Orphan is one of the absolute best horror movies I've ever seen -- and I've watched a lot of horror. Really recommend it. I don't really like talking about movies because I think they're always best viewed with no fore-knowledge. So if you trust me in the slightest, then I recommend you go see it... and if you don't trust me, then no bigs :)

Thief has received a thanks from: Monkei
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:39 pm

^ I watched Orphan about a week ago, didn't like it at all.
Someone spoiled the twist (which I think is a great and creepy idea) to me a while ago, and I think without knowing it the movie would have been even worse to me. No tension, no being creeped out. Just a few cheap jumpscares, a little gore and another generic creepy kid in a horror movie.
On the other hand knowing the twist beforehand might have ruined it for me. I can't really tell for sure if that's what took away the tension, but I don't think so.

Now after this you probably won't trust me when it comes to horror, but please, for the sake of Joby the Raiser of Hells, watch "It Follows" and "The Babadook". At least do a little research and then decide. Avoid trailers if possible.

Monkei has received a thanks from: Thief
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:11 pm

The Wolf of Wall Street. Well, this movie was just absolutely for me, Scorsese just knows what to do with plot lines like these, but this one was a little different than what he have seen from him before, like just when you thought the rich guy story lines were starting to get old this movie happened lol. Jonas Hill I think played one of the most significant roles I have ever seen him in in this film. The movie grabbed my attention early and it was hard to let go even at the 3 hours long mark, crazy wild ride of a film with alot of well done aspects.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Monkei wrote: ^ I watched Orphan about a week ago, didn't like it at all.
Someone spoiled the twist (which I think is a great and creepy idea) to me a while ago, and I think without knowing it the movie would have been even worse to me. No tension, no being creeped out. Just a few cheap jumpscares, a little gore and another generic creepy kid in a horror movie.
On the other hand knowing the twist beforehand might have ruined it for me. I can't really tell for sure if that's what took away the tension, but I don't think so.

Now after this you probably won't trust me when it comes to horror, but please, for the sake of Joby the Raiser of Hells, watch "It Follows" and "The Babadook". At least do a little research and then decide. Avoid trailers if possible.

Haha no worries, I won't crucify you for not liking it. I actually am an oddity in the sense that I love horror, but I don't get scared from horror ever. So I can't really relate to the creepy-ness complaints, but I didn't really think the movie had any jumpscares and the tension worked really well for me. Also, while I think child-actors can really ruin a movie at times, the ones cast in Orphan were sooooooo good -- at least for that movie. But I won't judge you for not liking it. Some things work for some people and others don't. I can't really explain why that movie worked so well for me, but I haven't been that engrossed in horror in a long time.

As for the movies you recommended, I actually own "It Follows" on blu-ray (after getting it for Christmas) and I absolutely love that movie. "The Babadook" is available currently on netflix, so I think i'll take your recommendation and watch it. Thanks :)

And yeah, I'm avoiding every trailer for this month of horror.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Monkei » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Well, Orphan had one or two attemps at jumpscares I'd say.
Like when the orphan was suddenly standing next to the daughter's bed, or one towards the end when she came running through the woods (that was a cool moment actually)..
but you're right, it's not that jumpscary when I think about it. And like I said, I like the idea, the twist. It's awesome, and imagining a situation like that almost gives me goosebumps :p I jusr didn't feel the execution of that idea as much.

That goosebumpy creepyness is what I'm looking for in horror movies. I don't get scared either, I mean it's movies. It's entertaining, it's fun to watch. I'm looking for horror movies that make me shudder, give me goosebumps by building up a creepy and uncomfortable atmosphere that leads to certain moments that make me go "Hooo.. whoa. That was creepy." Something like that. :p The Babadook managed to do that pretty well, so did It Follows, which I prefer to The Babadook. I loved it for it's beautiful camera work, the great creature, plus it created an extreme tension for me that made me want to claw my hands into my blanket. And it just had that unique feeling to it.. these shifts between tension and dreamyness. Really love it.

Other than that I can only recommend soke funnier stuff that probably doesn't quite qualify as horror anymore. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, Cabin in the Woods. Good and clever stuff. And the two 28 movies, but I guess you've seen those.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more recommendations if you stumble upon something good! :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:27 pm

Speaking of horror I've been watching some lately myself all of them from Asia - Whispering Corridors (Korean supernatural drama which was decent, not really scary/creepy at all though), One Missed Call 1 & 2 (first film was directed by Miike and was a really good film with a creepy climax, second film was just okay and mostly forgettable) The Eye 2 (supernatural horror from Hong Kong that plays it pretty straight), Shutter (Thai psychological/supernatural horror - this is the best one I've seen in a long time, highly recommended, especially if you enjoy films with creepiness, tensions and a pretty solid story, first film to give me such a feeling of tension in a long time) and Tales of Terror (Japanese horror short films directed by various directors including Takashi Shimizu, there's 33 of them, some of them are more effective than others but all are worth watching so far).

Next up on my list is Pulse from Kiyoshi Kurosawa who is a supposed "master of horror" in Japan, not seen any of his stuff yet. Also have Phone from Korea and The Victim from Thailand left to watch. Been on a real horror binge myself.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby rjack » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:54 am

Last night I had watched Kung Fu Panda 3 =D>
rjack
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby OL » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Next up on my list is Pulse from Kiyoshi Kurosawa who is a supposed "master of horror" in Japan, not seen any of his stuff yet.

Might be a little late on it, but I love the guy's work. Has an amazing sense for quiet creepiness. His stuff isn't usually all that in-your-face or anything, but his sense for atmosphere is great. I loved Pulse, personally. For some reason the hallway scene is one of the creepiest ghost scenes I've ever come across, and I love that the movie ends on a nigh-apocalyptic note (not really a spoiler, just a part of the atmosphere). The American remake of this movie completely missed the point of the original.
Kurosawa is great with non-horror stuff as well. Bright Future (Akarui Mirai) is one of my favorite movies overall, and Tokyo Sonata is a good'un as well.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 pm

I watched Turbo Kid after a few Facebook friends recommended it.

I really liked it. A lot of 80s-inspired movies end up being a bit too in-your-face with the 80s stuff and end up as sort of a parody even if they're not intentionally trying to be. With Turbo Kid, it seems like they just tried to make a good movie and it made the 80s setting seem organic. Everything was played 100% straight with no winks to the camera and everyone was super-committed to their roles. Whole lot of fun, just don't watch it with kids because it's gorier than you might think just going by the poster.

Also re-watched Galaxy Quest. I say re-watched, but it's one of those movies I vaguely recall seeing when I was young and I don't remember any of it, so it's like watching it for the first time. Funny movie, Sigourney Weaver's tits looked great, would recommend.

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, Sonikku
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Axm » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:25 am

The words "Turbo" and "kid" together... cant get any more 80's then that. Will watch thanks.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Alright I watched it. I was pleasantly surprised. For what it is, it has an awful lot of heart. I think it's biggest asset may have been that retro soundtrack. God I wish more movies could recreate this 80's vibe. :( I miss that decade.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:36 am

Sonikku wrote: Alright I watched it. I was pleasantly surprised. For what it is, it has an awful lot of heart. I think it's biggest asset may have been that retro soundtrack. God I wish more movies could recreate this 80's vibe. :( I miss that decade.

Listen to this film's soundtrack. Very John Carpenter esque at times (lots of synth atmospherics). Plus a rad 80s electronic music number from a Synthwave artist in there too.

phpBB [video]

The film itself is pretty good as well, by the way. Set in the 80s and violent with some disturbing scenes.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:43 am

Deadpool.

Fuck yeah. In a world where Marvels own movies are starting to feel too derivative of each other and quite unsatisfactory, Fox releases this gem. A rated R superhero film that's self referential and self deprecating? Oh hell yes. I've been waiting for something like this for so long. Antman was good and all, I liked it, but this is a better superhero comedy.

Some of the jokes didn't hit well but the most impressive thing was the story. I mean, wow. It was so good. They weren't kidding when they said this was a love story. And a good one at that. If I have any other complaints, some of the characters sounded too much like Deadpool to me. All sarcastic and stuff.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, Oppy
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Monkei » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:21 pm

^ I second that 'fuck yeah', great movie.

Monkei has received a thanks from: Kenny
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Calshot » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:12 am

Going By The Book (2007)

The town of Sampo has been hit a string of bank robberies. The newly-installed police chief runs a realistic bank robbery training drill as a PR move to re-instill faith in the police department. A traffic cop who takes his job too seriously (he pulled over the new police chief and wrote him a ticket) gets chosen to act as the robber. Unfortunately, he takes the role of robber too seriously as well.

It's an interesting take on the bank heist movie. They manage to add a sense of danger and suspense for the hostages, despite them literally being in zero real danger. While it's not the type of comedy where you're laughing the whole movie, there's a lot of charm and it's fun to watch how the situation steadily gets worse.

Kind of makes me want to rob a bank (figuratively, not literally NSA). I should get around to installing Payday 2.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic