What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby OL » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:EDF on Vita sounds really appealing. Do you get to use mechs in that one? I seem to remember one of them having mechs that Orange talked about a while back and sounded coolio.

The EDF on Vita was, if I remember correctly, actually released in the UK on the PS2. I think it was called Global Defense Force? The Vita one is just an enhanced version of that.
The PS4 one is Earth Defense Force 4.1, an enhanced version of EDF 2025. That's the one with added giant robots (which are slow as hell, but look oh so fun).
Still haven't gotten either one myself, but they're certainly on my list.
Oh, and kudos to all the Gravity Rush love. Got my copy the other day too, and it was just a pure joy to see it all gussied-up. Was already one of my favorite games, and this just makes it better.

Started playing Yakuza 5 again after leaving it alone for a while. Finished Saejima's chapter finally, which I wasn't really enjoying much after getting off the mountain, so now I've moved on to playing as... Haruka?
Shit.
I will say, the performance mechanics aren't too bad, but I don't particularly enjoy the dance battle stuff at all.
Ugh.
Anyone know how long this chapter is? I'd like to be done with it as fast as possible so I can move on to Akiyama or Mr. Baseball. Playing as Haruka isn't terrible or anything, but this really isn't what I play the series for. I'm not here to dance my booty off and make Japan love me with my glowing personality. I'm here to bash some fuckers' skulls in. And while I did really like the initial cutscene to it, explaining further why Kazuma had to leave the orphanage (one of my favorite scenes in the game up to this point), all this talk about pop idols is making me cringe so hard I'm getting face cramps. I already hate the whole Japanese pop idol "thing" with a passion, and all this talk about how it's their job to make people love them is making me hate it even more.
It's their job to make people love them? Not to make good music, or to entertain people, but to make people love them?
Gag me with a fucking chair leg. If I have one major problem with Japan as a whole, it's the cutesy parts of their entertainment industries. Can't stand that shit, and this chapter so far is playing right into it. Hope it ends quick.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Infilitrating an insurgent stronghold, risking life and limb, constantly within fine margins of getting caught, genuine film-esque moments of turning the corner or dragging a body out of sight at just the right second, sabotaging communication grids, and making a daring getaway in an enemy vehicle... All to nab a cassette tape of Take On Me. Emergent gameplay at its absolute finest.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Thief » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:39 am

I tried to take a picture of it spinning... but the funny thing about photos... they end up being still. :lol:
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:00 am

OL wrote:Started playing Yakuza 5 again after leaving it alone for a while. Finished Saejima's chapter finally, which I wasn't really enjoying much after getting off the mountain, so now I've moved on to playing as... Haruka?
Shit.
I will say, the performance mechanics aren't too bad, but I don't particularly enjoy the dance battle stuff at all.
Ugh.
Anyone know how long this chapter is? I'd like to be done with it as fast as possible so I can move on to Akiyama or Mr. Baseball. Playing as Haruka isn't terrible or anything, but this really isn't what I play the series for. I'm not here to dance my booty off and make Japan love me with my glowing personality. I'm here to bash some fuckers' skulls in. And while I did really like the initial cutscene to it, explaining further why Kazuma had to leave the orphanage (one of my favorite scenes in the game up to this point), all this talk about pop idols is making me cringe so hard I'm getting face cramps. I already hate the whole Japanese pop idol "thing" with a passion, and all this talk about how it's their job to make people love them is making me hate it even more.
It's their job to make people love them? Not to make good music, or to entertain people, but to make people love them?
Gag me with a fucking chair leg. If I have one major problem with Japan as a whole, it's the cutesy parts of their entertainment industries. Can't stand that shit, and this chapter so far is playing right into it. Hope it ends quick.

There is an option not to continue with the Princess League. It's possible to go through both stages as soon as you go through the 'tutorial' stages. What I'll be doing when I next replay the game..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Thief wrote:Image

I tried to take a picture of it spinning... but the funny thing about photos... they end up being still. :lol:

It's okay, I can just imagine hearing that yakuza start menu sound as you eject cd tray xD

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Kenny » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Forgot the last PSN game I bought as Limbo. Got pretty far into it, stuck on one part. Also played a bit more of New 'n' Tasty, also pretty far into it but the current section i'm in is just not as fun.

Also ALOT of FOB missions in MGS5. Good Christ, it's the same bullshit all over again except this time i'm learning how to overcome the UA-drones, security cameras, and heavily armed guards using only cardboard boxes and uniform camo.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Gravity Rush Remastered. This game is just as engaging as when I played it on the Vita, but it seems a little bit smoother here. The one that did carry over, this horrible camera and controls in certain spots, I'll get stuck on a wall, the camera will spin around at random some times while im trying to move it in a certain direction. Also I cant figure out if I want the horizontal stick inverted or not, with most game I just keep it inverted but when im in the air and using gravity the inversion REALLY screws it up, so im still trying to adjust to the controls. But all in all im remembering why I enjoyed this game back then, hopefully now I can actually complete it.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:52 pm

When playing FPS or TPS for me the camera need to move in the direction I push the stick. Up is up, down is down and so on. I've never been able to use inverted controls unless I was flying, that's the only time it feels natural to me. Like when flying planes/choppers when I push up it needs to move the nose down, when I push down the nose needs to go up. Left and right rolls or tilts depending on the air craft.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:01 pm

My ideal setup for this game would be for on the ground the horizontal (left and right) controls need to be inverted and I am comfortable, but the mid air controls need to be the default but there is no option to set it up that way. Getting over this obstacle may make or break the game for me, i have used inverted horizontal controls for years now and its hard to go back to this. I'm not sure if the mid air controls of the game just need some extra work, (even with the default mid air controls, im struggling, maybe im just not used to being able to move the camera in every direction in mid air like this game allows you) or me trying to get used to these controls are whats causing the problems. As far as using the default controls for left and right, it might be why im running into bugs and getting caught on walls, but I do know the game/camera is pushing me into them as well when it happens. Hopefully I figure it out.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:27 pm

I do remember the camera having issues, but I haven't played the game in a long time. I would get really confused if on ground they were inverted, and in the air they weren't. I don't think my brain could handle that lol. So neither option is working for you? Always inverted or always regular? That sucks. I want to pick up the PS4 version soon and play through it again. Its been too long.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Well Gravity Rush is a bit of a unique game so I think it has alot to do with the game itself, not many games allow you float in mid air and manuever 360 degrees in all directions. Maybe its just a high learning curve, some people "get it" faster than others, im not giving up on it because it is fun there is just alot of possibilities you dont normally have, its an interesting change from the norm.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:05 pm

I just finished The Witcher 3 and played a few hours of Pillars of Eternity.

ys has received a thanks from: Raithos
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Beat Yakuza 4 for reals last night (got stuck on the rooftop at the end last time, game gets crazy hard towards the end and never picked it back up after that). Pretty much played it from the start again. Ending was...rather underwhelming, imo. On to Yakuza: Dead Souls next. Also randomly played and beat Fighting Vipers (PS3 port) as well the other night, an old gem from Yu Suzuki and AM2.

Now I'm getting through my backlog, I have also returned to Final Fantasy Type 0 (PS4), which I've gotten back in to. Game's just as fun as I remembered it being.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby goaliefrk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:07 pm

ys wrote: I just finished The Witcher 3 and played a few hours of Pillars of Eternity.

Thoughts on The Witcher?
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby ys » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Largely positive but just not enough to be a masterpiece personally. Maybe a little controversial considering all the praise the game got? Anyway, positives are gameplay value, big open world with varied landscapes, lots of potions, armor, weapons to test,...

But I'm kind of neutral towards the lore so that influences how I experience the game. The story for example didn't really grab me. The previous game felt a little better at that due to its more focused nature.

As for graphics, those aren't the main focus for me but I noticed great lighting, very detailed armor design, natural looking landscapes etc. on the one hand. With sometimes clumsy animation, less impressive trees/water and overly sharp shadows on the other hand. Sometimes the artistic direction felt a little "busy".
Oh, and the foliage constantly swaying around like a storm was going on felt a little odd at times. The horse AI was sometimes annoying. And I liked the leveling up and potion system a bit better in the previous game. Anyway, none of this detracted from the game. It's just something that came to my mind.

Great game all in all but I enjoyed Yakuza 5 a bit more (played that right before). Even if it technically is the lesser game :P

PS Masterpieces to me are games that really stay with me years later. Ones that had more impact beyond "it's a good game". Be it gameplay and/or storywise.

ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming