What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Anyone else here watched "Narcos" yet? Best thing I've watched in quite a long time, though it is only one series long so far. It would be pretty hard to go wrong with a story about the life and times of Pablo Escobar anyway, but it's a good series aside from all that too. Even just the small fact that they're all speaking in their own language adds a bit to it. Looking forward to S2...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:39 pm

Finished Jessica Jones.
Really good series, really enjoyable and all that. Great concept overall, and a genuinely great villain. Didn't think I'd like David Tennant so much (he's pretty "bleh" in anything else I've ever seen), but his casting was just right.
Not sure if I like the series more or less than Daredevil... I think Jessica Jones might edge out just slightly as the winner, but only because Daredevil has a couple of just godawful cast members that bring it down a bit, while Jessica Jones only has one (the female incest twin from upstairs; she's just too cartoonish to take seriously, and it leads to nothing but a big facepalm). And even then, that one character/cast member isn't prominent enough to ruin it, so that's a pass, while the ones in Daredevil make me grit my teeth and scrunch my face whenever they're on-screen for the umpteenth time.
Overall I think Jessica Jones is the better series as far as story goes, because it isn't such a basic "superhero" yarn; there's a lot more in the way of legitimate investigation, and for the most part it has to be a bit more clever than just having the protagonist beat up the right people.
I will say that it's a bit overlong though; I kind of feel like it could have easily been about two or three episodes shorter; By a certain point, the cat-and-mouse with the villain gets a tiny bit stale and redundant. And the resolution is pretty underwhelming; you see it coming from a mile away, certain characters suddenly develop plot-necessary stupidity, and
the death of the villain just feels far too tame, considering who he is, what he's done, and how long it takes to actually get to that point. A quick snap of the neck is just so... "meh." She could at least have twisted his head a full 180 or something. Something with some damn ZAZZ.

There are some other quibbles too, but overall, if you don't think about it too hard (I'm looking right at you Kenny :P ), it's just a really enjoyable series to watch through. It ain't bulletproof, but it's fun anyway. And just like Daredevil did, it points in a good direction for the future of Marvel properties on the screen. Having seen him in this, I'm not sure the planned Luke Cage show is the greatest idea (he feels distinctly like side-character material), but all the same, this is another example that shows that the edgier Marvel stuff probably has more life in it than the progressively-getting-staler superhero stuff they save for the movies.

OL has received a thanks from: Kenny
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:30 pm

Oh, I'll find something to complain about. Just you wait.

Actually, there's not much wrong with Jessica Jones. I mean, maybe there are little things here and there but they're completely negligible. It's a fine show overall. I guess it would've been better if Luke Cage and Jones waited a little longer before they started fucking like rabbits on speed. The pilot was very awkward compared to the rest of the series, which felt much more put together like they had a much clearer idea on where to go.

I loved Tennant as Kilgrave. He was easily the best character because he was so well-written and three dimensional. You can tell he had a blast playing that character. Everyone else didn't have the same energy as him, but that was expected. Unfortunately, it's the kind of show where everyone needed to play it broody and straight whereas Tennant was playing it loose and crazy. Those characters by default are always more interesting.

I agree with the criticisms though. It's not the type of show I'd re-watch again anytime soon. That's what I constantly look for in anything. Re-watchability. If there isn't enough to make me wanna watch it again, that's a big minus from me. But it's also important to be good the first time around, so it's definitely worth watching once.

Master of None, however, I would happily rewatch again.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Calshot » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:45 pm

I gave Girl Meets World a second chance, mainly for the Boy Meets World cast's return appearances.

There are 2 two-word phrases I would use to describe Girl Meets World. Full retard & wasted potential.

Full retard comes from a handy mantra from Tropic Thunder, which states "you never go full retard". Jokes which are worth a chuckle get drawn out past the point of humor. Lessons are a bit too forced and Cory puts on his "I just dropped some knowledge" face while the kids don their "wow that's deep I'm totes learning" faces. There are too many characters and they have a hard time fleshing them all out. Pound for pound, GMW seems to have more "special" episodes than BMW, though that could be because I just forgot most of the non-fun parts.

Wasted potential is how I would describe most of the episodes. I remember Marc Jacobs (the creator of the series), saying he made GMW to address modern day problems kids face. The problem is I think he was a bit overzealous and made the storyline fit the special episodes instead of the other way around. Being on the Disney channel definitely is limiting them as well. The painful thing is that you can still see what made the original great underneath it all. You'll get a shitty scene like Angela's shoehorned-in appearance, and then Chet comes in and makes entire episode worthwhile despite having like a minute of screentime.

While it hasn't hit the highs of BMW, there's a handful of episodes that are BMW quality. The Shawn episodes save for his first appearance are decent. The three Eric episodes are worth it for Eric alone. Though he leans more towards dumb comic relief Eric compared to well written Eric, Will Friedle still nails it. There's even a few without any of the old cast to lean on and the kids manage to put out a good episode.

If they used a less-is-more approach and weaved things together a little more organically, it'd be a real winner. For now, I'll just watch the good episodes and pretend the rest don't exist.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:31 pm

I torrented Mr. Robot, watched the first 20 minutes, pretty good so far.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:06 pm

After only watching a small clip of The Big Bang Theory makes me really dis like that show so much. They were even talking in depth specs about the PS4 and Xbox One, but the way it was presented makes me want to put my head through the wall. Here is the clip, Synopsis: Overly nerdy guy inept to sarcasm tries to explain current gen gaming consoles to girl friend over dinner to get advice on which he should buy.

https://www.facebook.com/8gaming/videos ... 978409866/

Is this really one of the most popular shows on TV that alot of my friends dont understand how I cant not like it? ](*,)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:13 pm

I'm catching up to the Walking Dead again despite the fact people on FB spoiled the shit out of what happens to two characters.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Out of curiosity how many friends do you have on FB? I have less than 200 and I never see any spoiler stuff hardly, and im guessing thats because most of my friends on FB are actual friends and not just people im interested in, most randoms I dont add, even when they have mutual friends, im a small circle kind of guy, but I hear alot of people complaining about spoilers on FB and what not and I hardly ever see it so my thinking is that its just number of friends and potential frequency of posting spoilers based on how many people I am following etc.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 am

The spoilers don't come from friends, but random articles from pages I like.

I had to unlike or unfollow a few because those click-baitey dipshits don't seem to understand the concept of "TMI" in regards to their stupid headlines and thumbnails.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

What TV series are you watching

Postby Lerakroxa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:20 pm

To tie in with the what song are you listening to thread, what are you watching on TV/Cable/Sky/DVD etc?

Dirty Harry - The Dead Pool - Channel 5
Lerakroxa
Banned
Banned

PSN: Billyd12
XBL: The King Aza
Nintendo FC: L31N4D
Steam: Lerakroxa
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TLOZ MC,TLOZ OoT

Postby OL » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:50 am

Just watched the first couple episodes of The Wonder Years. Literally haven't seen the show in... what, 25-ish years? And even then, it's not like I really watched the show when it was on; I just kind of had it on in the background. I would have been five or six. And I've really never seen the show in reruns anywhere.
It's pretty dry by today's standards, certainly doesn't have the right kind of rhythm and humor that would appeal to a modern audience. But all the same, it does hit a number of notes that really, genuinely "get" what it feels like to be a kid. Even if it is based in the 60s, I can still relate to some of the shit the show covers in regards to growing up and maturing and all. So yeah, not exactly an amazing show, but it seems enjoyable enough. Might actually try to finish the whole thing.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:06 am

OL wrote: Just watched the first couple episodes of The Wonder Years. Literally haven't seen the show in... what, 25-ish years? And even then, it's not like I really watched the show when it was on; I just kind of had it on in the background. I would have been five or six. And I've really never seen the show in reruns anywhere.
It's pretty dry by today's standards, certainly doesn't have the right kind of rhythm and humor that would appeal to a modern audience. But all the same, it does hit a number of notes that really, genuinely "get" what it feels like to be a kid. Even if it is based in the 60s, I can still relate to some of the shit the show covers in regards to growing up and maturing and all. So yeah, not exactly an amazing show, but it seems enjoyable enough. Might actually try to finish the whole thing.

Really funny coincidence, as I'm just watching it right now too. I'm on episode five. So far I'm really liking it a lot -- the episode about his father and his job was brilliant. The show gets me really emotional though for some reason, something about it really makes me feel a little sad... not sure what it is exactly.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:51 am

Oh yeah, I definitely get what you mean. That was what I always remembered about it from when I was a kid: the slight tinge of melancholy (though I obviously wouldn't have called it that as a kid). Weird that even though it's technically a comedy, I always noticed that about the show from such a young age.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:28 am

Horace and Pete.

It's a ride. Has this closeness that most series don't have. Really enjoying it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Been re-watching that show Battle Creek on Netflix (there were a couple episodes I missed on it's tv run apparently), and I've figured it out: this show is my new Firefly. It's that show that has pitch-perfect casting, an almost perfectly executed mix of drama and comedy, shit-tons of personality... and it just so happened to end after only one season.
Honestly, among network detective shows (meaning no HBO, no AMC, no paid channels, no FX), this is really the only one I can safely say I love. Fantastic cast all around, so fitting in their roles that I'm actively lamenting the fact that I won't get to see these characters again (specifically Dean Winter and Josh Duhamel in the leads; perfect pairing, always the highlight of the show). And the episodic stories, in a far cry from just about every other network detective show in existence, are always appropriately quirky, but never stray too far into becoming hokey. That's the biggest trap most network shows in general fall into, making things too convenient/silly, making you roll your eyes at them. Never the case here, even when dealing with potentially silly stuff. It keeps everything grounded enough that it works out without becoming an eye-roller, but also manages to have a great level of charm every time.
Only two episodes away from finishing it again, and man, that's got me bummed. This really is another Firefly situation. Except in this case I don't think there's much chance of a movie deal. I would hope for a revival or something on one of the big streaming services (either Netflix or Amazon Prime), but that seems unlikely; I don't think anyone is trying for it.
Anyway, anyone that hasn't seen it, seriously... Battle Creek. Check it out. Ridiculously likable.
Goddamn crime that it was axed, while seemingly every other show that CBS renewed that year is utter shit.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic