What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby OL » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:35 am

Just got back from a trip, so I was indulging in a bit of handheld gaming while I was there.
Finally sat down and dedicated time to going through Black Rock Shooter. I already really liked it, but I hadn't gotten far because I was always distracted by other games. But having a few plane rides with just my Vita on hand made it much easier to actually get somewhere in it. Up to stage 5 now (there are 6 altogether, I think), so I'm finally nearing the end. Probably gonna finish it in the next couple days.

Also downloaded a digital copy of the PSP version of FFTactics before my trip (already had it physically, just needed this so I could put it on the Vita), so I got some time in on that too. Haven't played it in a long time. I have all kinds of crazy nostalgia for the sights and sounds, but I'd mostly forgotten about the story and gameplay details, so that all felt weirdly new to me. Matsuno really is a step above most other JRPG writers/directors, isn't he? This game feels so much more goddamn mature than anything else I can think of that's FF-related. Not sure if and when I'll actually finish it (for the second time, I mean; finished it as a kid, I just don't remember many specifics aside from loving it), but I'll probably keep plugging away at it here and there over time. Really making me want to finally tackle Tactics Ogre: LUCT as well.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, KiBa
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Keep seeing all this Pokemon 20th Anniversary stuff everywhere. I've not played a Pokemon game since I was about 10 years old but seeing Nintendo release Blue/Red/Yellow on the 3DS has made me get an itch to play it again mainly for nostalgia reasons. I see the occasional image of a new Pokemon and just wonder who the fuck they are but I have a lot of nostalgia for that first 151.

Seriously though the fact it's 20 years old now makes me feel really old. From the age of about 7 until I was about 9 was when Pokemania was at it's biggest so I was the perfect age for it. 'Gamers' bitch and moan that gaming is mainstream now but literally every kid (Boys and Girls) had a Gameboy with Pokemon, watched the show and collected the cards at my school. They actually ended up banning the cards from my school after some kid had some stolen and a mum kicked up a fuss about it. Before that I remember a whole lunch period where I had people begging me to trade my Blastoise card. I also remember getting Pokemon Gold about 6 months before it even came out in the UK as I got it while on holiday in America and people just watching me play it for an entire lunch break.

It seemed the moment they started bringing more Pokemon out everyone just lost interest overnight. I remember watching the TV show and not knowing any of the new Pokemon and I just stopped watching straight away. The games still seem to sell quite well but I don't see kids talking about Pokemon and don't know anyone who carried on playing after the original Pokemania.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:27 pm

That's cause the next slew of monsters were abominations with incredibly unmemorable names. The original 151 were something so special and it was a unique concept for the time.

It's probably the last massive fad I can recall too. What came after Pokémon that was such a powerhouse in terms of merchandising? TMNT and Power Rangers are the only other two I can think of from our generation that was like that. Maybe Angry Birds?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Kenny wrote: That's cause the next slew of monsters were abominations with incredibly unmemorable names. The original 151 were something so special and it was a unique concept for the time.

Many of the Pokémon found in Gold/Silver were created during the same time as Red/Blue, they just weren't put into the first game. The ones that came after aren't bad, they just aren't special to you because they don't hold any nostalgic value. There are plenty of people who start with later generations of Pokémon that insist that their generation was the best.

Same thing holds true for just about everything, cartoons/music/anything. People seem to idealize their childhood and go so far as to enact some sort of pseudo-imperialism in order to force other people to find some enjoyment out of it -- problem is that people aren't going to care if they didn't grow up with it. Doesn't really speak much of quality, but rather, of one's perception of its quality.

This is why you'll get so many people insisting that the original 151 Pokémon were the best -- because it was at its peak popularity during its first generation, and more people are going to have that "nostalgic childhood twinge" towards that particular time of Pokémon.

Thief has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:46 am

Kenny wrote:It's probably the last massive fad I can recall too. What came after Pokémon that was such a powerhouse in terms of merchandising? TMNT and Power Rangers are the only other two I can think of from our generation that was like that. Maybe Angry Birds?

The thing with Angry Birds it was just a game and you see the odd piece of merchandise here and there, the movie is coming out but that feels like it's 5 years too late. The game came out in 2009 so the kids who played it are teenagers now and probably don't give a fuck.

Pokemon was on TV, film, games, trading cards, shirts and pretty much everything you could slap a Pikachu on. The only thing that I can think that has been as big is maybe Marvel.

Maybe with stuff like the Internet and Netflix kids have so many options that everyone has different interests. When I came home from school the first cartoon when you got in was Pokemon and it was on Saturday mornings as well, so if you was a kid that's all you could really watch.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:05 pm

There's a difference between a fad and something so popular that it has merchandise. A fad is usually a cultural phenomenon, and nowadays it tends to come in the form of social media trends.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Pokemon, TMNT, and Power Rangers were massive cultural phenomenons for their time. They peaked and then died down. They're still popular but not on the level they were when they were first introduced.

With the whole thing about the ones that came after the original 151, I don't really hear anything about them in the mainstream unless it's like Mudkips. Then again, some of the ones in the original 151 are largely forgotten too.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Batshit crazy, psychedelic weirdness Pt.2. The original Galerians is one of those underrated gems on PSX and this is almost as good (not been to a desolate house fighting bald, long coat/fedora wearing psychics which were ripped off from Dark City or fought a limping/disabled crazy scientist who is actually The Terminator in disguise... yet, but more crazy, demented children who enjoy killing people, gouging out eyes and popping heads with their psychic powers, plus the music is trippy just like the first game). Whoever made these games are just messed up people.

You also get to fight the final boss of Galerians PSX again right at the start of the game, Dorothy, who is a "female" A.I. who spits out eyeballs. Yeah...

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Kenny » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:42 pm

More MGS5 goodness. I S Ranked all the missions and now i'm doing all the mission tasks while doing the occasional FOB mission.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:46 am

Decided to revisit Bloodborne last week and no other games have gotten a real look-in since. I was already on NG+, picking up my progress from having just beaten the Blood-Starved Beast, so I've pretty much been cruising my way through the game aside from a few bastard bosses such as Rom and Amygdala. Just beat Micolash again last night.

Better still, The Old Hunters DLC is currently on sale, so I purchased it yesterday, and other than the first boss being an absolute prick (easily one of my least-favourites in the entire game), it's a fantastic DLC. I felt a pang of disappointment after beating
Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower
(conversely, my new favourite boss in the entire game) because I thought the DLC was over, but then a whole new area opened up and I was stunned by how different it is from the rest of the game, the DLC included. Completely unexpected and fantastic in terms of aesthetic and presentation.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:08 am

Still playing Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It's great. Taking my time with it.

KiBa has received a thanks from: OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Finnaly got supermodel 3 emu working
Besides some graphical glitches, vf3 plays like a dream. Glorious.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Calshot » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:53 pm

Ace Attorney Investigations 2, the one that was never translated into English officially.
I'm close to the end of the second case, and I can confidently say that it's much better than Edgeworth's first game (which I felt was one of the weaker entries in the series).

For example, the final case in the original Investigations game is

some crap about counterfeiting money. It wasn't interesting enough for me to remember the details.

Meanwhile, the first case in the second Investigations game is

an assassination attempt on the president

featuring a surprise guest appearance by
Motherfucking Shelly De Killer

The fan translation is also pretty good. It feels the same as the official localization done for the other games. I'm using an earlier version of the fan patch (didn't even know there was a final release until recently), so I can only assume the finalized version is even better.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Finally got back into Gravity Rush Remastered this weekend and I progressed to Chapter 18 and did 2 of the 3 side missions (Maid and Spy DLC) and got their costumes. All I basically have left is the Military side mission and the end of the game which I should be finished with soon, its a been a fun game so far thats for sure!
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:16 pm

Lots of Division.

Getting up to level 30 before entering the Dark Zone.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming