Is Shenmue III's trial pc only?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Is Shenmue III's trial pc only?

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:15 am

From the kickstarter

Your choice of a digital copy of the game for PC or PS4, or a physical copy for PC + A digital copy of the trial version for PC + Your name in the credits. Be the first anywhere to play Shenmue 3. Get the real word straight from the development team.

It makes it seem like the trial is PC only.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: Is Shenmue III's trial pc only?

Postby Testament » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:22 am

Looks that way.

Makes sense, too. It's not very economical to put alphas or betas up on console network platforms, unless you're a large developer and you're releasing a demo to the general public.
Testament
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:26 am

Yep, it was known since the beginning.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:56 am

Testament wrote: Looks that way.

Makes sense, too. It's not very economical to put alphas or betas up on console network platforms, unless you're a large developer and you're releasing a demo to the general public.

Eh. Your reasoning here makes little sense. All ysnet would have to do is not list the trial and just give a code. I'm pretty sure they will be doing the same thing on PC version. If anything, the PC trial is going to be out in the wild and cracked. SFV beta was cracked and people were playing it for months. On console you couldn't crack it so we could only play when Capcom willed it. But the cracked beta peeps could play SFV any time without repercussion. Expect this to happen with Shenmue III.

So saying it's not economical to release a beta on console makes very little sense because, as it exists within a fixed ecosystem, what I described above is less likely to happen.

Himuro has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Esppiral » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Console manufacturers (sony) will charge Ysnet to publish on psn even a simple demo, so....

Esppiral has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, Mr357
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Esppiral wrote: Console manufacturers (sony) will charge Ysnet to publish on psn even a simple demo, so....

Ah.

Now we've found our answer.

Can't blame em.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:06 pm

I hope when the time comes, the media doesn't go into a total blitz about the trial's quality/polish as indication for the final product to bad mouth it like with mighty no. 9, but knowing the media... :-(

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Esppiral wrote: Console manufacturers (sony) will charge Ysnet to publish on psn even a simple demo, so....

I read somewhere that Microsoft even charge developers/publishers a few thousand $ per title update on a game as well. Crazy.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:10 am

FlagshipFighter wrote: I hope when the time comes, the media doesn't go into a total blitz about the trial's quality/polish as indication for the final product to bad mouth it like with mighty no. 9, but knowing the media... :-(

Depends how the trial is presented. If the trial is a What's Shenmue style demo of varied game mechanics that serve as a separate introduction to the game, and it is made very clear the purpose of the trial is to obtain feedback, then I don't think the media will lay into it too hard.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:49 am

Sonoshee wrote:

I read somewhere that Microsoft even charge developers/publishers a few thousand $ per title update on a game as well. Crazy.

In that specific case, it's really a good decision. Charging developers to publish their demo makes also sense as the servers are free for no one.
Infact, the real plus of the PC is the feedback. It will be easier for the Windows users to share their thoughts through the expected official forum. Then as you said, YSnet will be able to update their beta freely. It's a different case from Star Wars Battlefront for instance where the main interest of the console betas was to stress the online servers.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Monkei » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:42 am

Himuro wrote: From the kickstarter

Your choice of a digital copy of the game for PC or PS4, or a physical copy for PC + A digital copy of the trial version for PC + Your name in the credits. Be the first anywhere to play Shenmue 3. Get the real word straight from the development team.

It makes it seem like the trial is PC only.

Great find man, very observant of you. And it didn't even take you a whole year to notice. :lol:

:P
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:50 am

Sonoshee wrote:

I believe that was changed shortly after Don Mattrick's departure (after Phil Fish made a fuss about it)
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:45 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote: I hope when the time comes, the media doesn't go into a total blitz about the trial's quality/polish as indication for the final product to bad mouth it like with mighty no. 9, but knowing the media... :-(

They will. We all know they will. We should all be prepared to defend the game - yet again - when that happens. Because the gaming press is subservient to its readers/viewers, and the loudest among them don't seem able to do this:

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:52 pm

@Anon lol!

Big Question: What are the chances that we will get an update on shenmue's development this month? High? Low? :-p

FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sappharad » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:15 pm

This is not the same situation. The trial for Mighty No. 9 was released in September, to make up for the second delayed release since they had announced a September release date and pushed it back. They specifically stated when that trial came out that the content in the trial was done, and the reason for the delay was the online features. It deserves any criticism that it has been be getting. (Disclaimer: I backed Mighty No. 9 for one of the tiers with beta access, and I honestly feel like it wasn't worth the money.)

The trial for Shenmue 3 will not be based on a finished game and we know that in advance since it's estimated to come out over half a year before the finished game. Some of the press has already been hard on Shenmue 3 for the whole crowdfunding thing, but there are also others that have given it a lot of good coverage. I would expect mixed coverage for the Shenmue 3 trial too, just because the original games got rather mixed reviews sometimes as well.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue III