Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't get why everyone has a problem with Will Smith as Deadshot. Especially people who don't even give two fucks about the character. Deathstroke? Sure, he'd be an awful choice. But a gun for hire who knows he's a bad guy but still fulfills the financial aspect of his fatherly duties? That reeks of a Will Smith role.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:41 pm

My personal take on it is just that

a.) Will Smith is impossible to separate from any role he plays. Or rather, any role he plays is impossible to separate from Will Smith himself. He's not some great actor; he's Will Smith. And he never ceases to be Will Smith, no matter if it's a serious or comedic role. Never once have I been able to see him in a movie and forget the fact that it's him. And that's a problem. It's the reason these kinds of roles are so often given to lesser-known actors, because the filmmakers want you to see the characters, not the actors playing them.
I want to look at Deadshot on screen and think "Floyd Lawton." With Will Smith, that's an impossibility, because all I'll see is Will Smith.

and b.) Call me racist or whatever, but I take issue with the fact that they've cast a black guy as Deadshot.
By itself, there's nothing wrong with that.
But like I've said before, if you were to make a new Blade movie, and cast a white actor in the lead role, people would be furious. People who don't give two shits about comics or movies would be pissed too. Same for if they made a Green Lantern movie, had the main character be John Stewart, but cast a white guy. There is no end to the shit the studio and filmmakers would get. Because "Oh noes, whitewashing!"
But casting Deadshot, a character who's always been white, with a black guy? Nah, that's cool.
Why is it okay to do it in one direction, but not in the other? I just despise the hypocrisy of it all.
Now, if it were a regular thing, and people were open-minded about race, I wouldn't give a shit. White actor, black actor; who cares, as long as it works? I'm all for that. But society just isn't like that. We have the word "whitewashing" to describe one thing, but there's no opposite word for the other way around.
Sure, maybe it's not an issue with the movie itself, but it reflects things about the world we live in, and those things irritate the shit out of me.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:55 am

What Will Smith film did he do in which he plays a bad guy?

All his roles have been smug good guy or tortured soul who tries to redeem/vindicate himself. The closest thing I know where he plays a "bad guy" is Focus but he was really an anti-hero who falls into the latter category of redemption.

Like OL said, he's too big of a name to distract you into thinking its Will Smith just being Will Smith. I like the actor a lot, he's one of my favorite actors because of screen presence and onscreen charisma but I don't think he has any business playing any established character. Of course, at the same time, I hope he pulls it off.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:40 am

Well, he was a lawyer in Enemy of the State. He clearly did some petty illegal shit in Fresh Prince.

But seriously, so what if he hasn't played a bad guy? He's still played similar roles. What he'll be doing with Deadshot will be along the same lines as what he did in "I, Robot", "Hancock", "I Am Legend", and to a certain extent the "Bad Boys" films. He's shown that it's in his repertoire.

Besides all that, I reckon it's funny that when he was announced for Suicide Squad, suddenly everyone became a fan and expert on Deadshot. A similar kinda thing happened when a trailer was released for some Ryan Reynolds film.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:49 am

The reason for there being no opposite to whitewashing is simply history and society I guess. I mean it's not that long ago that black people were suppressed and not seen as equal human beings. There is no opposite in the world to "white males dominated (and still do) America and all of entertainment" either. It's just the way things played out. So when comics originated decades ago there naturally were mostly white heroes. Other races were underrepresented. Of course they're introducing new non-white characters these days, but they lack the rich history and admiration of all the existing white heroes. They're all white because of the different circumstances back then, not because it made the most sense storywise to portray them as white. In a world without racism and xenophobia we might have gotten a black Kal El from the beginning, or a black Bruce Wayne. I say there's nothing wrong with casting black actors for roles that originally were white, especially if the source material stems from a time when things just were different. If it really bothers you you could always see it as yet another of the multiple iterations of the character, of which none is "wrong". Might even be a better version than the others that came before. Like Man of Steel's Perry White (if you ask me). They're readjusting to make it all fit into modern times. Nothing lasts forever, nothing stays the same.

Update on the reshoots:
In other Suicide Squad news, IGN has confirmed a report that additional filming has been underway for the last week. Additional shooting is a common element in major movie productions and is planned months ahead of time so this shouldn't been deemed as a sudden response to Batman v Superman.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Batman v Superman set a new record at the box office yesterday, with the largest Friday-to-Friday drop ever for a major comic-inspired film release.

According to Forbes, Warner Bros.' new comic book flick performed significantly worse on Friday, earning $15.35 million. Compared to its $81.5 million opening day, which includes the $27.7 million from Thursday's showings, Dawn of Justice dropped a whopping 81.2 percent. When compared strictly to its $53.8 million figure on March 25, the film saw a Friday-to-Friday drop of 71.5 percent.

For context, that's a greater drop than Fantastic Four's 78.7 percent decline and Watchmen's 78.4 percent second-Friday slip, but still lower than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2's 84 percent drop and High School Musical 3's 90 percent plunge.

Batman v Superman's eight-day total stands at a whopping $224.4 million, putting it in eleventh place, right behind Iron Man 3's $232 million total and just ahead of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Chest's $214 million figure for the same period.

Dawn of Justice is expected to make $260 million in domestic sales by the end of the weekend, after passing $500 million worldwide just a few days ago.

The film has made $587M worldwide and apparently needs to hit around a billion to make it a success, ain't looking too good.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:57 pm

I just watched it!

Wow, this movie has it all! It's beautifully shot, it's great, it's good, it's bad, it's WTF and it's VERY questionable. I was getting Spiderman 3 vibes; giving everything away in the trailer and basically having way too much too soon. And woah man Batman was killing terrorists like Sam Fisher! :-O I am so conflicted, i did enjoy myself/was entertained and i loved Batfleck but again man too many questions/wtf things so it left me on that disappointed/concerned scale of impression...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sonikku » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Monkei
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:41 pm

^ Fuck, that's awesome.

Riku Rose wrote:

The film has made $587M worldwide and apparently needs to hit around a billion to make it a success, ain't looking too good.

I think it's still looking fine.
[...] but still lower than Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2's 84 percent drop

- that Harry Potter movie had a harder drop and still made more than a billion. The american market isn't that important for having a hit anyway, as long as things are looking bright overseas. It's at $682,857,793 now worldwide, after a little more than one week (including two weekends of course).
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:23 pm

This has to be the kind of movie that theaters loathe. Something like a 90/10% movie ticket split in favor of the studios opening weekend that gradually improves to an 80/20 split and beyond as the weeks go on. But with so called "front loaded" movies like this I'm guessing theaters feel kinda stiffed while the studio still makes out like a bandit. Or they would rather, if they hadn't charged their distribution arm some obscene amount of money so they're guaranteed to post a loss to weasel their way out of royalties. :lol:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Monkei
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:56 pm

So that's how it works? I thought it was simply 50/50 between theatres and studios.. can't remember where I picked that up though.

Edit: Sonikku, that picture above isn't real, is it? I mean it's not taken from an actual episode or animated movie. It's probably photoshopped together to resemble the image taken from BvS?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:00 pm

Alright I saw it. I was kind of disappointed Batman didn't brand Lex "inglorious bastards" style. :sad:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Typically, the studios negotiate a larger intake on the opening and then over time the gross intakes switch over to the theaters. This is why opening weekend is so important for them.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:43 am

Anyone seen the Ultimate/Extended/Actual Cut Edition yet? It's clearly the film as intended, and the theatrical release feels like those versions TV networks used to do to make room for adverts. Also, I'm pretty sure that the "R Rating" was for the single "fuck" uttered.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:22 pm

OL wrote: We have the word "whitewashing" to describe one thing, but there's no opposite word for the other way around.

I bet whoever pushed for Will Smith was thinking, "Tit for tat!", with respect to whitewashery. The Illuminati like to keep a balance.

As for my own opinion (I don't like forming them anymore, since nothing I think ever comes true), I have only three words: I Am Legend.

I'm sorry if I just stirred a painful memory.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic