New Fear Effect announced - Kickstarter

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

New Fear Effect announced - Kickstarter

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:08 am

Sushee founder Benjamin Anseaume told Eurogamer Fear Effect fans should expect a very different game than the Kronos-developed, Eidos-published originals that appeared on the PSone.

"Fear Effect was back in the 90s and 2000s a triple-A game. Our Fear Effect is an indie game," he said.

"So players have to expect major changes both in terms of the gameplay and the visuals. We are a small team of 10 people. We are not Kronos. We are an indie team. We want to make something that respects the series, but it's not going to be Fear Effect 3. It's going to be a new Fear Effect with new gameplay."

Sushee was inspired by Harebrained Schemes' superb turn-based tactical role-playing game Shadowrun Returns when designing the gameplay for the new Fear Effect. An isometric camera perspective will let the player control up to five characters at the same time, with a focus on strategy when it comes to the combat. The idea is the characters work together, combining their attacks and defensive actions for maximum effect.

phpBB [video]

This is getting mixed response so far. They are launching a Kickstarter for it anyway.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -announced
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: New Fear Effect announced - Kickstarter

Postby sand4fish » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:57 am

Basically a Fear Effect on name only...
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:08 pm

Yup. If people are disappointed it's not hard to see why.

They should just release inferno on psn or something.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:02 pm

What a weak friggin' excuse to change things entirely. So it was triple-A back in the 90s, and that somehow means you can't continue the series with the same basic elements?
All you need for a good Fear Effect is cell-style graphics, looping pre-rendered backgrounds (which were more expensive and time-consuming to produce back in the day, while a skilled 3D artist can do them nowadays with far less strain), and a solid story. Not a single one of those things has to be all that taxing on the financial end. You'd basically be creating a point & click with action gameplay. It's not that complex. The only iffy part is voice acting.

I'd say no thanks to the proposed idea. If you don't have the means to do it right, then fuck off and do something else.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:19 am

You probably won't even need prerendered backgrounds anymore. You can render everything in realtime now, same with cutscenes.

Voice talent depends if they're union or not. You can get significantly lower rates with nonunion and that's been the norm for awhile as far as I know. Recreating a Fear Effect game nowadays should be significantly easier compared to 2000/2001 but you still need a paid team to get it done unless it's one big fan effort.

They're either too scared/inexperienced to try, they did the calculations already and figured this is a cheaper bet, or something ELSE happened that's preventing them from going forward with a true sequel.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi, I've never played the originals but this game in particular looks good, any fans/enthusiasts of it here? Is it worth backing on kickstarter?

If this is to many people what shenmue is for me, then i would gladly support their dreams as they have supported mine/ours...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 am

PS4 and Xbox One console support is here for €20!

I just upped my pledge. As I've said before I've never played the originals but judging by the footage this game looks cool imo so I'm going to keep supporting it + it looks like the kickstarter needs all the support it can get lol...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:00 am

Hey everyone, the devs seem to have shared a huge update yesterday for this game, thought i'd post it here to get some of your thoughts on it. Seeing how I still haven't played the original games or know barely anything about it, it looks pretty cool to me judging it by its own merits, and it's good that they found the demo helpful helpful (I didn't back this project high enough to receive it) I'm hoping the shenmue 3 demo can also be released earlier so that they can get some quality feedback too and have enough time to implement the changes necessary:

The last three months (!!!) have been busy here at Sushee. Here’s a sum up of what we’ve been up to since the prototype’s release.

Gameplay adjustments

Since you wrote such detailed comments and suggestions about the prototype, there was much to do to live up to your attempts as gamers, and as fans of the Fear Effect franchise.

Skills have been redefined so that they offer more strategic possibilities when we implement our most team-oriented feature: skill synergies.

Hana will now be able to fire bouncing bullets. Also, she will be equipped with heat detection mines, because traps can definitely be a lot of fun.
Rain will grab and stun enemies, leaving an electric damage over time. She’ll also create a hologram of herself to lure enemies and avoid being attacked until they realize their mistake (too late, obviously).
Deke keeps his flamethrower (this was too much fun to remove), but can also fire mini-rockets that will randomly hit enemies around him (he definitely doesn’t like subtle warfare).
Glas is an expert in military gear: he can now deploy a small machine gun turret that will explode when destroyed. He keeps his grenades. Grenades are always useful.
Axel will wield a small crossbow equipped with piercing bolts, damaging every enemy in a line. He will also throw a confusing powder in a cone in front of him, making opponents fight themselves for a short time.
All those skills will have at least one synergy with another character’s skill. For example, hitting an enemy afflicted with Deke’s flame damage with Hana’s bouncing bullet will spread the fire to all the enemies it hits. But we won’t tell them all, you’ll have to discover them. There’s nothing like practical experimentation!

Glas has a talent for finding the worst drinking spots in Denver.
Glas has a talent for finding the worst drinking spots in Denver.
Level design

We told you a lot about the combat system and our tactical take on Fear Effect, but very little about the stealth system and the puzzles. Stealth system will be very similar to what you might have seen in other games: when you’re stealthed, your whole party will follow you in the shadows as well. Every attack will kill instantly (except a few stronger enemies), and an alarm system will alert the guards if you’re detected. We are currently working on a level design that will allow you to play without being seen at all in certain areas.

But of course, if you prefer brute force...

Also, some levels will be designed as big puzzles. You will be given keys to change the configuration of the area (moving footbridges or crates, opening doors that will require others to close, etc), so making your way through the area will require a bit of thought. We are quite happy with the result so far, and we hope you’ll enjoy exploring those parts!

New environments

We took some time to focus on all the urban environments. This kind of environment offers a lot of visual possibilities, from luxury hallways to dusty rooftops, and we really enjoyed exploring aesthetic possibilities.

Paris' rooftops
Paris - Chinese embassy - private showroom
Paris - Chinese embassy - private showroom

We’re also working on the capital of Greenland: Nuuk. We all have images of how a city like Paris could look like in a near future, for it has been depicted many times along with other big cities. But Nuuk is a challenge for us, as it is a very fast-evolving city. If you visit Nuuk today, you’ll see no skyscrapers, but we like to think that it could be among the most technologically advanced cities, in the future. The cyberpunk feeling we cherish so much won’t be lost at all once we get to Greenland!

And then?

Technically, the foundations are strong and we already started to test the combat in a few specific areas. It now requires some polishing, and clarity; we will start working on visual feedback and visual effects (electrocution, stun, explosions, flames, blizzard…).

Graphically, all the characters and enemies are ready to fight. There are still a few areas we need to work on to make sure we keep the Fear Effect touch. That means some landscapes and decors should look bloodier, weirder, darker.

Inspiration comes from all sorts of games and movies, but there is one particular area that hasn’t been that much depicted in pop culture: the spirit realm, its link to animism and shamanism, its true meaning for the Inuit people, its weird and ominous-yet-fascinating beauty. We can’t fail that part, for it is the heart of our story. And we’re eager to show you something we’re really proud of.

And this is how trouble starts.
And this is how trouble starts.

Let’s keep in touch!
We saw all your comments, both in the forum and on the KS page. Don’t worry, we are watching very closely every messages from our community, and your worries show that you’re expecting a lot from Fear Effect Sedna, it’s a source of motivation.

This past three month, we chose to focus on the big amount of work we had, considering that every single member of the Sushee team is 100% dedicated to game development. We’ll try to send more frequent updates, but, really, don’t worry, the game will be released, and we hope it will meet your expectations.

Don’t forget, for more frequent information and shorter updates on Fear Effect Sedna, you can follow us on our Twitter and Facebook feeds! We like to share little things; images, gifs, as well as fan arts from all over the world. And do our best to answer your questions as quickly as possible!

Best,

The Sushee team.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby redline » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:28 am

FlagshipFighter wrote: Hi, I've never played the originals but this game in particular looks good, any fans/enthusiasts of it here? Is it worth backing on kickstarter?

-funny, every few years i think about the original game. nostalgia?

i played the original when it first came out on ps1. i remember the game being really trippy due to the resident evil style gameplay with comic/cartoon style visuals. i dont remember much about the story, something about shooting people and going into hell.

Fear Effect Sedna isnt my type of game. if they made a new Fear Effect, fixed camera angle gameplay and cel shaded graphics, i would buy it :)

redline has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:14 pm

It's a prototype, but it gives you some idea of how Sedna plays:

phpBB [video]

I've only played it for about ten minutes myself, but it does seem to have quite a different atmosphere to the previous two Fear Effect games.
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to General Gaming