Marvel Cinematic Universe

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:02 am

We seem to have a DC thread in the Batman V Superman topic so thought I'd go a little crazy and make the Marvel thread with the new season of Daredevil coming out.

Watched 4 episodes of the new season of Daredevil so far. I thought the first season was the best thing Marvel had done and this is carrying on where the last season left off. I have too say that the one thing I'm a little disappointed about is the fight scenes aren't as good as the first season.

Also a teaser trailer for Luke Cage just hit.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Monkei » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Good idea. I started season 1 of Daredevil yesterday and am 7 or 8 episodes into it now. Gonna watch Jessica Jones right after it, so I can then quickly get to Daredevil season 2. Really like it so far, especially how dark and messy it is. D'Onofrio's Kingpin is pretty damn great.

I can offer my overview over all upcoming Marvel movies, taken from my "all upcoming comic adaptations" topic. Just the Marvel-Marvel and Sony-Marvel ones though, since the Fox ones aren't part of this universe:

Upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movies

May 6, 2016

Captain America: Civil War
Distributor: Walt Disney
Directors: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
Writers: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
Starring: Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson
IMDB Link
phpBB [video]

November 4, 2016

Doctor Strange
Director: Scott Derrickson
Writers: Thomas Dean Donnelly, Joshua Oppenheimer, Jon Spaihts
Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Tilda Swinton, Mads Mikkelsen
IMDB Link
phpBB [video]

May 5, 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Director: James Gunn
Writer: James Gunn
Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

July 28, 2017

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Distributor: Sony Pictures
Director: Jon Watts
Writers: John Francis Daley, Jonathan M. Goldstein
Starring: Tom Holland, Marisa Tomei
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

November 3, 2017

Thor: Ragnarok
Director: Taika Waititi
Writer:
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Hiddleston
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

February 16, 2018

Black Panther
Director:
Writer: Joe Robert Cole
Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Andy Serkis
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

May 4, 2018

Avengers: Infinity War Part 1
Starring:
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

July 6, 2018

Ant-Man and the Wasp
Director: Peyton Reed
Writer:
Starring: Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

July 20, 2018

Untitled Animated Spider-Man Project
Distributor: Sony Pictures
Director:
Writers: Phil Lord, Christopher Miller
Starring:
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

March 8, 2019

Captain Marvel
Director:
Writers: Meg LeFauve, Nicole Perlman
Starring:
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

May 3, 2019

Avengers: Infinity War Part 2
Starring:
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]

July 12, 2019

Inhumans
Director:
Writer: Joe Robert Cole
Starring:
IMDB Link
[NO TRAILER YET]
Last edited by Monkei on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:34 pm

I'm really looking forward to the Defenders crossover. That's gonna be pretty awesome, I bet.

Daredevil Season 2 is good but TBH, i'm only really interested in the Punisher/Frank Castle. I'm sorry but he's just way more interesting than Matt Murdock 'n Crew. It's pretty crappy he didn't get his own series.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:50 pm

^^I pretty much agree with that. Finished the second season yesterday (blew through it in two days), and Frank Castle was easily the best thing about it. John Bernthal is downright excellent in it. Better than I would have imagined (though I think the character does have a few too many emotional outbursts, but that's more an issue with the writing than with Bernthal himself). Best acting moment in the entire season-- nay, the entire series thus far, is the moment in episode 5 when Castle talks about his daughter.
The season does feel a little lopsided though; while the first had one continuous story all the way through to the end, this one tries to juggle two (the Punisher and the Hand/Elektra), and they never really meet up in a meaningful way, as I'd been hoping. So it does feel a little less-focused than the first season was. Regardless of that though, I think I enjoyed it even more than the first go-round. Everything with the Punisher is rad as hell, and finally delving into the classic eastern influences of the 80s comics is, if nothing else, pretty damn fun. Much as I liked the first season, seeing DD throw down with packs of ninjas on a semi-regular basis makes for some damn fine entertainment. I think Elektra could have been handled a little better; I always took her to be a bit more mysterious in the comics, while the Netflix version puts everything on the surface. And while she's not terrible, I'm not super-keen on the actress playing her.
Also, have to say I disagree with Riku a bit; I think the action is even better in the second season. I'll always have a soft spot for the hallway fight from the first season, but there honestly isn't much else from season 1 that stands out in my mind (aside from the silly-as-hell fight with the Kingpin at the end). Season 2, there's all kinds of crazy, inventive, ambitious action that happens, and I don't imagine much of it will slip my mind.
But as with season 1, the biggest drawback is the ugly focus on Karen that keeps popping up. Regardless of my distaste for her actress, which I've gone over at length before, the character herself is just... boring as shit. She's shoehorned in. There's really nothing organic or natural about her involvement. Basically everything boils down to how ridiculously emotional (to a damn-near unhinged extent) she gets about every stupid little thing. And more than that, I found it really unfortunate that the majority of John Bernthal's later scenes had to be opposite such a boring, unappealing ditz as her. In absolutely no way does Deborah Ann Woll have the presence to hold her own opposite a guy like that. Blah. I really would have preferred to get more scenes with Clancy Brown or someone.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:40 am

I thought the same with the emotional factor, I thought it was a bit too much for what's supposed to be a callus, mostly deadpan individual. The scene with him and Daredevil chained up on the roof immediately comes to mind. I thought he was acting a bit like a nagging wife.

Bernthal pretty much nailed it when he was allowed to.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:01 pm

OL wrote: Also, have to say I disagree with Riku a bit; I think the action is even better in the second season. I'll always have a soft spot for the hallway fight from the first season, but there honestly isn't much else from season 1 that stands out in my mind (aside from the silly-as-hell fight with the Kingpin at the end). Season 2, there's all kinds of crazy, inventive, ambitious action that happens, and I don't imagine much of it will slip my mind.

I think I'm only on episode 6 at this point but outside of that hallway/stairway one shot every fight seems to be toe to toe fighting. In the first scene of the first season it had Daredevil jumping on the crates at the docks and using them to his advantage. I felt like the action from the first season was a little Jackie Chan esque where he would use objects around him and use the opponents weapons against them. I may change my tune as I've been told there is an awesome fight scene in about episode 8 or 9 but the action was one of my favourite things in the first season and this has felt a little meh so far.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:40 pm

^^Yeah, there's at least two more with Frank Castle that are pretty nuts (probably some of the most violent stuff in the whole series), and once the ninjas and whatnot start hitting hard, there's plenty of one-versus-many kinds of fights for DD. I also thought the fight in episode 5, when he and the Punisher are fighting the Irish but DD is dividing his time between knocking guys down and stopping all of Frank's killing blows, was pretty great. Made me laugh a bit. Not to mention the badassery of the part immediately preceding that, where he's nonchalantly tapping his clubs in a dark hallway to lure thugs, then takes them out.
Slightly outside of fighting, there's actually one instance of a save that he makes later in a hospital that looks excellent and feels almost Batman-esque. Hope to see more like that whenever the series continues.

One thing I will say though, is that I'm slightly disappointed that the Punisher never really gets a truly great shootout scene. I was kind of hoping for some sort of Hard Boiled-esque scene, all guns and bullets tearing the scenery to shreds. But instead, the action pretty much remains hand-to-hand. A few shooting kills, obviously, but nothing inventive. Makes it even more of a shame that the Punisher isn't getting his own series any time soon (if ever).
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:52 pm

Some set photos of Doctor Strange have got out:

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:40 am

The first Doctor Strange trailer dropped:

phpBB [video]

Kenny has received a thanks from: Monkei
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:18 am

^ Looks dope!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:21 pm

Yuck. I'll pass.
For some odd reason, even though I dig this stuff in DC's comics (Dr. Fate, the Demon, Deadman, all that jazz), something about Marvel's supernatural side just never really appealed to me, outside of maybe Ghostrider (though even in that case it's more so the concept I like, but not often the execution). Just like with Thor, I've just never been a fan of Doctor Strange, so I'm not interested in the movie.
Doesn't help that I really don't like Benedict Cumberbatch anyway. So I'm negatively biased to begin with.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Doesn't look bad to me. Incredibly derivative of Matrix and Inception though.

I'm looking forward to Civil War though. Lame as fuck it's not coming out for another month.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:14 pm

Looks decent. I like the more serious tone they're conveying, but I'd still take an original Avengers line-up film over this. I'm actually lookin forward to Thor: Ragnarok. It's not exactly the best series, but Hemsworth's fucking class, Hiddleston's hilarious, and Portman's potent as fuck. Oh, and then there's Civil War of course.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Monkei » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:19 pm

^ I read Portman's not gonna be in it. Really looking forward to the Thor/Hulk dynamic though.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:16 am

Yeah, Jane Foster is out for the next one.

What I'm most looking forward to is what the fuck Marvel is gonna do after Infinity War is released.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic