What are you currently playing?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby OL » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:41 am

I'm honestly not sure what he means about Tanimura being "whiny whiny whiny." Been a while since I've played it, but I only remember Tanimura getting angry about things he was fully justified in being angry about, and none of it came off in any way that might be construed as annoying. Most of the rest of the time, he plays things pretty cool.
Like I said, been a while, so maybe I'm wrong. But I don't remember Tanimura being anything other than fun and refreshing.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:10 am

Also enjoying Suikoden 2 on the PS1. Don't know how I missed it. Oh, wait, yes I do. Thief: The Dark Project took my 1999 and Deus Ex took my 2000 till November 8th, when Shenmue came out in Usona. Then after August 2001, Arcanum took the rest of my undergrad years without mercy and my grades suffered tremendously. But, damn, what a story!
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Mr357 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:31 pm

KiBa wrote: Also enjoying Suikoden 2 on the PS1. Don't know how I missed it. Oh, wait, yes I do. Thief: The Dark Project took my 1999 and Deus Ex took my 2000 till November 8th, when Shenmue came out in Usona. Then after August 2001, Arcanum took the rest of my undergrad years without mercy and my grades suffered tremendously. But, damn, what a story!

Sounds like you missed System Shock 2 as well (at that time).
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:58 pm

OL wrote: I'm honestly not sure what he means about Tanimura being "whiny whiny whiny." Been a while since I've played it, but I only remember Tanimura getting angry about things he was fully justified in being angry about, and none of it came off in any way that might be construed as annoying. Most of the rest of the time, he plays things pretty cool.
Like I said, been a while, so maybe I'm wrong. But I don't remember Tanimura being anything other than fun and refreshing.

Just listen to that pussy voice! lol, I can't stand it. That's the jist of the whiney aspect; he just sounds like an adolescent girl half the time.

I just wrote a whole bunch, but its ok; a lot of it my opinion and I don't wish to derail the thread.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Interesting, the games in the series I would say most Yakuza fans would say were the best (2 and 4), you dont seem to care for that much. Y3 is probably alot better than the half of a game we received in the localized version, Y3 has one of the most notorious localizations ever I would say, but the core story is entertaining enough and while I like the Tokyo area better, Okinawa was a nice change, especially the house being right in front of the beach.

I'll hold my breath on coming up with my favorite Yakuza games until I am at least finished with Y4, but its already seeming like it might be one of the best in the series to me, at least from technical and game play stand point, since I havent seen much of the story and characters yet. Im 15 hours in and at the end of Akiyamas last chapter.

Mhm, I'm in the minority, which I have no problems with; Nagoshi and Yokoyama seem to agree with me though, as they haven't brought back either Kaoru or Tanimura in any other game, even a quick cameo or as a fighter card in Ishin! (Kaoru being in 3 notwithstanding), so that makes me feel a bit better! lol

BTW, literally the ONLY thing cut from 3 that was major, were the hostess clubs, something I've always given 2 shits about (which is probably why it doesn't bother all that much; simply meeting them and going on dates was much quicker, efficient and enjoyable, for me). Mahjong and Shogi were cut as well, along with 6 substories and that's basically it; I'd constitute that as being 8% of the game or less, not half ;).

But I digress, sorry to take up the topic with my posts. I'm 10 hours in and I'm almost done Akiyama's chapter two (have completed all substories thus far and will get a couple of the easy trophies, just because it takes literally under 10 minutes to get them.

BTW, for a list, here are my choices for BEST (not favourite, though its similar) of the entire series:

5>3>0>Ishin!>Kurohyo: Ashura Hen>Kenzan!>Kiwami>2>Kurohyo: Shinso>1>4>Dead Souls (which isn't a bad game in the slightest)
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:58 pm

There was ALOT more than 6 sub stories missing from 3. I actually used an import guide while playing Y3 and everyone was trying to convince me there wasnt as much cut as I was saying, but alas, I saw the proof right in front of my eyes, but I didnt play through the whole game I ended up just watching all the cut scenes on youtube and from the 15 hours I played of Y3 there was at least 10-15 sub stories that were in the import guide I was using that never triggered when I played the localized version and I got so frustrated not being able to find these side missions and searching and searching for them that I couldnt even continue the game, I got lost in trying to figure out what sub-stories were actually in Y3 and which werent, and almost lost all interest in the series in the process. You could say I did some painful hands on research to figure what exactly was cut from the western release of Y3, and it was so much I couldnt keep running around and finding nothing or go through each individual sub story mentioned in the import guide to see if it triggered, and at least 1/3 of the ones I read about in the guide were not in this version, and I didnt even play through the whole game, i couldnt take it and gave up. But yeah, only 6? Not even close I know that for a fact.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Mr357 wrote:
KiBa wrote: Also enjoying Suikoden 2 on the PS1. Don't know how I missed it. Oh, wait, yes I do. Thief: The Dark Project took my 1999 and Deus Ex took my 2000 till November 8th, when Shenmue came out in Usona. Then after August 2001, Arcanum took the rest of my undergrad years without mercy and my grades suffered tremendously. But, damn, what a story!

Sounds like you missed System Shock 2 as well (at that time).

You're right. I did. However, I distinctly remember seeing the box in the store (the old big boxes) on the very same day I picked up Shenmue 1. I thought to myself, "Looking Glass Studio made an RPG? Nice! Gotta buy this!" Then Shenmue made me forget. However, from 2005 to 2009 I sporadically played through it with the graphical update mods as they were released. Excellent game.

On a similar note, if you loved the original Deus Ex and have been living under a rock, you simply must play through Deus Ex: Revision, the semi-official new reimagining mod and audio & graphical update. It's absolutely fantastic. Fundamentally upgrades the game in every conceivable way and with good taste imho. I can't say enough great things about it. There's enough brilliant map changes and re-recorded music that it's a worthwhile new experience.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Mr357 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:51 pm

KiBa wrote:On a similar note, if you loved the original Deus Ex and have been living under a rock, you simply must play through Deus Ex: Revision, the semi-official new reimagining mod and audio & graphical update. It's absolutely fantastic. Fundamentally upgrades the game in every conceivable way and with good taste imho. I can't say enough great things about it. There's enough brilliant map changes and re-recorded music that it's a worthwhile new experience.

I anxiously waited years for Revision, and then when it was finally released I discovered that it's at least twice as difficult as the original. As a result I quit after Battery Park. Maybe the problem is that I default to "realistic," but it's not like I can play on a lower difficulty.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:05 pm

LOL I had the EXACT same experience. You're not alone. My ego supported by years of breezing through Deus Ex repeatedly on Realistic with my eyes closed compelled me to initially select Realistic as well. After being headshotted by psychic guards with X-ray vision for the 100th time, I restarted the game on Normal and finished it. DXR Realistic mode is for ghosting only imho. So what if I lost my mojo and gave up my dignity besides. ;-)

True story: I trolled the shite out of the Revision comments section on Moddb after they delayed the thing for the millionth time back in March 2015. I compared it to Shenmue 3, saying it would be announced before Revision came out, which made the devs laugh. Not long after in June, Shenmue 3 was actually announced to the surprise of all, which made everyone who wasn't creeped out laugh. The DXR devs continued to promise an imminent release every day until it was ultimately released in October. I checked every day. It became an obsession. That was torture, but not as bad as Yu Suzuki hosting an event that was literally called the Shenmue Postmortem in 2014.

KiBa has received a thanks from: Mr357
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:55 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: There was ALOT more than 6 sub stories missing from 3. I actually used an import guide while playing Y3 and everyone was trying to convince me there wasnt as much cut as I was saying, but alas, I saw the proof right in front of my eyes, but I didnt play through the whole game I ended up just watching all the cut scenes on youtube and from the 15 hours I played of Y3 there was at least 10-15 sub stories that were in the import guide I was using that never triggered when I played the localized version and I got so frustrated not being able to find these side missions and searching and searching for them that I couldnt even continue the game, I got lost in trying to figure out what sub-stories were actually in Y3 and which werent, and almost lost all interest in the series in the process. You could say I did some painful hands on research to figure what exactly was cut from the western release of Y3, and it was so much I couldnt keep running around and finding nothing or go through each individual sub story mentioned in the import guide to see if it triggered, and at least 1/3 of the ones I read about in the guide were not in this version, and I didnt even play through the whole game, i couldnt take it and gave up. But yeah, only 6? Not even close I know that for a fact.

You are correct; 21 of 123 were cut, my mistake (which isn't even 20%).

Still, shogi, mah-jong, hostesses, answer x answer and 21 substories; that equals MAYBE 10% of the actual game; not enough to put me up in arms, especially with 102 substories available; that should be more than enough for anyone.

Still have batting, bowling, fishing (in 2 locales) full golf, IF7, Karaoke, the list goes on.

Then add to that, the longest story of all 6 canon games in terms of chapters, the aforementioned most substories (by a lot), a killer soundtrack, plot and an awesome new stomping ground? Plenty of reasons why its still a great game.

Love the debate btw, apologies again for getting the amount wrong.
Truck_1_0_1_

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Raithos » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:51 am

Henry Spencer wrote: What about you? Which class did you go for?

I went super original and stuck with the knight lol. It just felt right after Bloodborne being such an offensive based game. I usually do a specific strength/dex/int build but I like the starting stat allocation of the knight with strength and dex being equal and no wasted point on int (got my pyromancer for that). This way I can build and use any weapon I find in the game and not have to worry if it scales more with one or the other. I used Ludwig's Holy Blade almost exclusively in Bloodborne, but none of the two-handers I've found have a similar move set, been using the claymore and zwei.
I think I may use the Abyss Watcher soul to craft the Farron Greatsword, some of the strikes he used were very close to it.

Haven't been able to play for a couple days cause work has been busy. But I have a few days off now so hopefully I can make some more progress. Just spent about two hours helping people beat
Abyss Watcher and the Old Demon King (I summoned here, hes a bitch, so figured I would return the favor)
and I gota say it was a lot of fun. Never really messed with the online before too much, outside of some PVP. Really satisfying helping out my fellow sunbros. I might start doing that after each boss I beat just too see if anyone needs a hand. Not sure what they are used for yet, but I've got 15 or 16 sun medals now from it. Hopefully I can buy the praise the sun gesture lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:04 pm

I used the boss souls to get some great items so far like
Havel's Ring, which means I can slap on some great armour and not feel the effects of heavy armour
. Also got my Uchigatana all nice and full of flame damage which really helps with stunning certain enemy types like the maggot infested freaks.
Irithyll Dungeon
is kicking my arse. Atmosphere so thick you can taste it, too. Really seems like a big fanservice for a very certain popular area from Demon's Souls too. Fuck the enemies there though.
A giant who I do like 1 damage to, enemy mobs in the sewer area, jailers who continually bring your HP down to 0.00005
and a simple tap on the shoulder is all that should suffice to kill you. I lost so many Souls tonight in this area *Patrick_ Stewart_facepalm.jpg* FUCK that fucking Mimic that flying dragon kicked me off the edge of the platform as I was running away from him at full speed back to the bonfire. Plus the enemies there are just so creepy, I mean yeesh. Those screams and those enemy designs are pure nightmare fuel. From Software are so fucked up. lol.

Berserk references - More enemies from Berserk again.
Did you notice they put in an even closer match to the Beast of Darkness as a mini boss on the stone bridge in Irythill? And those tiny enemies on the rooftops, Mozgus's cronies...

Bottom right:

This game has its hooks in, so looking forward to the weekend again so that I can get my revenge!

I was going to go as a Knight as I usually do, just felt like miracle spells would help out which they are, supposedly they really nerfed spell damage this time and it's much harder to be a Sorcerer due to the ferocity of enemies this time. I can definitely see an area like
Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and Irithyll Dungeon
both being an absolute nightmare of an area to get through for those builds.

Funny how the game seems to start off so easy and is so hard all of a sudden.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:35 am

Just the Extra-Hard playthrough of Yakuza 5 to go and then that's my Platinum run finished!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:26 am

Couldn't resist, so I got Dark Souls 3 the other day. Just passed the Abyss Watchers.
Always a blast going back into these games. Always addictive, always fun. And obviously, I'm having a great time with it.
But I just have to say... it really is time for From Software to move on to other things.
Granted, I'm not all that far into it, but so far it really is just retreading the same ground that always came before.
Fortress wall full of undead = check.
Swampy area full of poison = check.
Catacombs full of skeletons = check.
And I'm sure I'll be able to check a helluva lot more off by the end of the game. As much fun as I'm having, there's just nothing new here.
The environments are just the same basics they've always worked with, and most of the enemies are similar as well. Even when it comes to bosses (which I guess I've fought about five by this point), I'm just not impressed by anything so far, because I've seen it before in earlier games. The Great Tree was cool and vaguely original, but super easy, and not particularly memorable because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game; always addictive, like I said. This one just... doesn't feel terribly inspired. Nothing has struck me with a real sense of awe yet, while the previous games and Bloodborne all did.
So yeah, it's a really good thing that From is reportedly doing something non-Souls-related next. Feels like it's about time.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:13 pm

Just tried the nioh alpha demo and like wtf, i can't even beat the first enemy... trying to use my bear hands since i can't find any weapons around..... ugh... just gonna delete this pos, glad i didn't waste on money on this.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby OL » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:47 pm

The Nioh demo is out in North America.
Good friggin lord, is it ever HARD. Even more than Dark Souls. I like it a lot though; great graphics, great weapon abilities, awesome combat. Haven't finished the demo yet; might take a while. But it is indeed good.
Still day-1.

EDIT: :lol:
Posted at the same time. Very different views on it I guess.
Of course, I'm not dismissing it just because it's difficult... [-X
And you pick up the first weapon as soon as you land on the beach. Just search the body, and it's right there.
OL
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming