Project Update #55: April Report

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Project Update #55: April Report

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:54 am

Not gonna lie, if i'll be forced to play with the english dub i'll be pretty fucking pissed off..... and i don't understand the issue here, don't they have to record the japanese dub anyway? so what's the problem?

All games on PS4 make you choose the language (some with an ingame option, for some you gotta change the system language). Don't do this to me Shenmue...
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mark James G » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:18 am

Code: Select all
pragma once

#include "GameFramework/HUD.h"
#include "MyHUD.generated.h"

/**
 */
UCLASS()
class SHENMUE3_API AMyHUD : public AHUD
{
   GENERATED_BODY()

public:
   AMyHUD();
   virtual void DrawHUD() override;

class USoundWave * Ryo_English_01;
   class USoundWave * Ryo_Japanese_01;

int LanguageSwitch = 0; // 0 - English
                                        // 1 - Japanese

bool PlayOnceForTesting = false;

}

// End of .h
// MyHUD.cpp

AMyHUD::AMyHUD()
{

static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<USoundWave> ryo_eng(TEXT("(FOLDER_DIRECTORY_FILE_HERE"));
   Ryo_English_01 = ryo_eng.Object;

static ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder<USoundWave> ryo_jap_0(TEXT("(FOLDER_DIRECTORY_FILE_HERE"));
   Ryo_Japanese_01 = ryo_jap_0.Object;

}

void AMyHUD::DrawHUD()
{
    if(PlayOnceForTesting == false)
    {
        PlayOnceForTesting = true;

if(LanguageSwitch == 0)
         {
            UGameplayStatics::PlaySoundAtLocation(GetWorld(), Ryo_English_01, GetActorLocation(), 1.0);     
         }

else if(LanguageSwitch == 1)
         {
            UGameplayStatics::PlaySoundAtLocation(GetWorld(), Ryo_Japanese_01, GetActorLocation(), 1.0);
         }

}
}

Well, if it's voice acting that is the budget concern then that is a shame. If it is code related then here is some quick UE4 C++ code I made that should solve the problem. :P

Mark James G has received a thanks from: iyapol
Mark James G
Asia Travel Representative

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:34 am

Is it me or does anyone else think this update was cut very short? Not really much is covered or discussed and the conversation feels very abruptly cut off. They didn't even sign off at the end, it's as if someone accidently pressed send... :-\

Oh well hey ho as long as they're actually working! :-p As for awesome Japan... xO

Man, i do share concern with what they said about dual language support. It reminds me just how much they have on their plate in order to perform with their budget and deadlines looming. Personally I'm fine with whatever audio etc they decide to ship with/what they can do but people will have such high expectations and I'm not sure if it aligns with what they actually have (resources+time). I suppose i just don't want people to want more than YS.NET can give...

Personally, im hoping buy E3/tgs time that they can somehow squeeze more support more investors.

(Which reminds me, i really need to get around to making my second pledge!)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby alexh86 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:47 am

It's surprising that they can't fully confirm access to both VOs for all players. They have English Ryo and Japanese Ryo on board so presumably both VOs are going to be recorded. At that point, it would actually be easier to make one global version that gave everyone access to all VOs and all subtitles than it would be to make localized versions for each region.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:05 am

I think it would've been smarter to just record the game in one language. Maybe not in the spirit of keeping things as they were, but more practical.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 am

alexh86 wrote: It's surprising that they can't fully confirm access to both VOs for all players. They have English Ryo and Japanese Ryo on board so presumably both VOs are going to be recorded. At that point, it would actually be easier to make one global version that gave everyone access to all VOs and all subtitles than it would be to make localized versions for each region.

I'm not an expert but if recording more data on a bluray disc means more time to spend for duplication in the manufacture or more layers to produce per bluray disc, it's not surprising that YSnet has to pay a lot more. While Shenmue III will have ton of dialogues, audio is still the largest part in size and the most complicated data to compress. It's a good news that YSnet are making the game content a priority.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:33 am

To make it short, I was hoping for a mindblowing update but expecting the update we got. :mrgreen:

Very happy to read that they listen to the fans requests, ideas, suggestions and keep us updated on them.

If the logo thing has a potential impact on the game development and budget, i would be more than happy to keep the actual one. If there is a way to produce something better, well, that's great!
At some point, we'll have to think as fans and not backers and leave to the team the important decisions, for the sake of the game.

The audio dub aspect isn't very clear to me at this point. If i'm not wrong and since they announced the return of Corey Marshall during the Kickstarter period, there should be an English version and a Japanese version.
It doesn't appear such a big issue at first to have both audio dubs in one game, but do you think there could be issues like lips sync or who knows what, making this process time and money consuming?
Again, since they have to prioritize their ressources in order to stay within the budget and the deadline, I would be happy with any audio language, as far as we have the English subs.

As for new video sequences showing the character models or even just the Magic Monaco video sequences, I have the feeling that they are working hard on this so they can show something at next E3. I don't see any "logical" reason why they never published the videos from Monaco if it was not because they have in mind to show them (or improvements of them) at E3.

All in all I'm happy with the update. To be honest, I would love to Watch a video of the team members at work, even if they don't show anything of the game to prevent spoilers (kind of a "Shenmue 3 making of" monthly update, you know?).
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby koalazeus » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I would rather have a more fleshed out experience with only one audio language and sub-titles than the other way around. Although my gut tells me it would be wrong for Corey Marshall to not still be involved, even if the above were the case...

"Environment Architecture Designer for the Shenmue series" - what a lovely job title to have.

Hot update.
koalazeus

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:16 pm

It's not just a case of swapping the VO, guys.

If they're making an effort at localisation that means there will be changes between the English and Japanese dub to better suit the markets. It's the same reason why the Shenmue Undub mod just has periodic silences because there's no equivalent for the English subs.

Dual VO could possibly mean full retranslation for all subs (and don't forget, the game will be in 5+ languages subtitled), to properly translate the VO.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, SheepheadCG
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:15 pm

Spaghetti wrote:It's not just a case of swapping the VO, guys.

If they're making an effort at localisation that means there will be changes between the English and Japanese dub to better suit the markets. It's the same reason why the Shenmue Undub mod just has periodic silences because there's no equivalent for the English subs.

Dual VO could possibly mean full retranslation for all subs (and don't forget, the game will be in 5+ languages subtitled), to properly translate the VO.

And lets not forget guys and gals, they're planning to do lip syncing as well to some extent. I'm intimidated just thinking how much work and hours they need to do and if they are going to do it in Jap and/or ENG.

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Sappharad » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:11 pm

Yokosuka wrote:I'm not an expert but if recording more data on a bluray disc means more time to spend for duplication in the manufacture or more layers to produce per bluray disc, it's not surprising that YSnet has to pay a lot more. While Shenmue III will have ton of dialogues, audio is still the largest part in size and the most complicated data to compress. It's a good news that YSnet are making the game content a priority.

The amount of time to manufacture the discs doesn't change based on how much data is on them. Unlike a burned disc, where the disc has to spin around and the laser writes the data, a physically manufactured disc is made from a mold and the surface is basically 'stamped' with that mold. So the entire data layer is made at once.

Blu Ray discs for PS4 come in single layer (25GB) or dual layer (50GB). Producing a dual layer disc can cost around 80% more than a single layer disc, so if something pushes them over 25GB it would cost more. But if they're already on a dual layer disc then the price is not affected.

Although it's relatively easy for them to make a language select feature, there is cost involved to test it. It would take significantly less time to implement than it would to test something like that to make sure every piece of dialogue plays in the language you have selected.

I won't be upset if they don't add the option. I played Shenmue 2 with both dubs, and I'd probably play 3 with both if given the option, but I'm okay if the western releases only have the English dub. (Can always import a Japanese copy, PS4 is region free)
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:30 pm

To be honest it seems like they're still learning about the engine.

Hopefully they'll "dedcide" to have audio options early, because if they want to implement it in late development they may have have bigger problems than if they decide to do it now.

Spaghetti wrote:If they're making an effort at localisation that means there will be changes between the English and Japanese dub to better suit the markets. It's the same reason why the Shenmue Undub mod just has periodic silences because there's no equivalent for the English subs.

Uffff, hopefully no. There has been a lot of shitty localizations to "fit the market", specially in a game like shenmue, the market wants a "japanese game". I really hope they don't go full retard.

phpBB [video]

Really meagre update...

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby PacemaŜinobo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:48 pm

Possible solution to the language problem:

step 1: include all subtitles in both the Japanese and Western localizations of the game.
step 2: ask backers to choose between the Japanese or English version of the game as their reward copy.

Voilà. Lip-synching problem solved.

Or am I missing something? :-k
PacemaŜinobo

Postby fittersau » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:39 am

PacemaŜinobo wrote: Possible solution to the language problem:

step 1: include all subtitles in both the Japanese and Western localizations of the game.
step 2: ask backers to choose between the Japanese or English version of the game as their reward copy.

Voilà. Lip-synching problem solved.

Or am I missing something? :-k

I don't think you are missing anything. Japanese voice with English subs isn't exactly breaking new ground.

Nor is English dub with Japanese lip syncs, anime, movies have been doing it for years.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:12 am

The French media are "doing it" again :???:

http://www.jeuxactu.com/shenmue-3-les-d ... 103756.htm?

According to this article, there will be probably only ONE audio language in Shenmue 3 (For all regions). English or japanese.

Misunderstanding of the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter updates became a bad habit...
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III