Marvel Cinematic Universe

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Postby Monkei » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:05 am

That's really gonna be interesting to see.. most actors' contracts will be fulfilled, the biggest stories will have been told, audiences might even be somewhat tired of the characters by then.. I wonder if pushing the release date of the Inhumans movie back twice has something to do with their plans for after Infinity War Part 2.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Michael Keaton starred in an Oscar-winning film about an actor’s mental breakdown due to having appeared in too many superhero movies, but it seems this hasn’t put him off signing up for more himself.

The Birdman star is in talks for Marvel’s upcoming Spider-Man movie Homecoming, according to Variety, and is being eyed to play the film’s villain.

It's been rumoured he will play the Vulture. Literally a birdman.

Tom Holland is taking over from Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man, with Marisa Tomei set to play Aunt May and Zendaya signed on for a mystery role.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 83741.html
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:53 am

Marisa Tomei just cougarfied the shit out of Aunt May.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Well looks like Doctor Strange will be the first Marvel mehvey I'll be interested enough to go and see. Looked cool from the trailer.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:54 am

Watched Civil War last night and loved it. I'll give it some more time to digest in my mind but it could possibly be my favourite Marvel movie. If you're bored or don't like Marvel movies though I don't see this being an exception. The standouts for me was Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Black Panther and hot Aunt May.

In other news:

Marvel's beloved vigilante the Punisher will soon be the focus of his own Netflix series after actor Jon Bernthal awed fans with his portrayal of the anti-hero on the second season of Daredevil. Netflix and Marvel confirmed they have green lit a full season of The Punisher, with Bernthal reprising the role of Frank Castle in the spinoff series.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, despite the Punisher's less-than-stellar success translating to the big screen, Netflix had been at work on creating a Bernthal-led Punisher series since January, nearly two months before the second season of Daredevil premiered.

Hannibal producer Steve Lightfoot will serve as showrunner on the latest Marvel series. "For me, the complexity and unpredictability of Frank Castle make him an incredibly compelling character and I couldn’t be more excited to dive into his world," Lightfoot said in a statement. “After watching Jon’s performance in Marvel's Daredevil I could not be more excited to be working with him to further develop and progress the story of this anti-hero in a show of his own."

It's unclear whether the series will pick up where the Daredevil series left off, if it would serve as the character's origin story or if producers would tackle one of the Punisher's more fan favorite storylines like War Journal, The Slavers or its 1985 limited series. A premiere date was not revealed.

The Punisher joins comic book-turned-Netflix series for Daredevil, Jessica Jones, the upcoming Luke Cage (due out September 30th), the in-production Iron Fist and the superhero crossover series The Defenders.

The skull-suited, arsenal-toting hero has previously been seen in theaters in the form of a 1989's The Punisher starring Dolph Lundgren in the title role, 2004's The Punisher with Thomas Jane and 2008's Punisher: War Zone with Ray Stevenson. All three struggled at the box office and were savaged by critics, although War Zone has gained a cult following from Punisher fans thanks to its graphic violence and its reverence to the tone of the comic.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:54 pm

Monkei wrote: That's really gonna be interesting to see.. most actors' contracts will be fulfilled, the biggest stories will have been told, audiences might even be somewhat tired of the characters by then.. I wonder if pushing the release date of the Inhumans movie back twice has something to do with their plans for after Infinity War Part 2.

I was talking with my wife about this the other day. These actors aren't going to want to play these roles after infinity war. I've heard Chris Evans wants to get out of acting and direct. And I'm not one to see all of the B marvel movies. I just don't care about ant man, guardians, black panther. I think this marvel bubble is about to burst. The cinematic universe has been great and so many studios are rushing to create their own(I've even heard of a habro one, stupid).

As a Spiderman fan all I really want is an actor who will stay in the role for 5-6 main spiderman movies. I'm sick of the constant reboots. I want a spiderman who can age with the role, excell in college, land a good job, marry a girl(mj), start a family but not get too bogged down in that. Just use that as a backdrop. And give me good villains: mysterio, morbius and black cat and a GOOD venom movie! Venom and the symbiote suit were completely ruined. And I hope they don't try to bring in miles. He's been around for a few years. Peter Parker has been around for decades and he deserves a good long run of movies.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Fri May 06, 2016 4:05 am

So yeah, Civil War is awesome and probably the best superhero movie to come out this year and one of the best of all time.

They got alot of things right, which was impressive considering how much content they had to cover and how many characters they had to give screentime to. It was also better than the comic's depiction of the event, which was different of course but the movie handled the drama better. You really felt the tension between Cap and Iron Man more which made alot of the fighting more intense as a result. I find it pretty amazing that in the source there are a shit ton of characters but most of them don't do anything really except fight whereas in the movie (where there are considerably fewer), every character had a purpose.

Also:

In all actuality, Spider-Man really had no importance in either event at all. I kept hearing how important he is and all that, and really the only thing he did was unveil his identity to the public which started the whole legislation for superheroes needing to eradicate their alter-egos and enlist in a database to have tabs kept on them. You could've done that with any full costumed superhero. In the movie, it was just a "cool factor". The Fantastic Four have a much more important role than he does.

That being said, this Spider-Man is probably the best live-action Spider-Man EVER. Holy shit, I loved every single minute he was in there. Tom Holland killed that role. After seeing this, it's no wonder why they fired Andrew Garfield. This Peter Parker is much more appropriate to the Avengers universe. I preferred there to have been a full movie for him before Stark realizes who he is, but given the time frame and all this was the very best they could do. And in place of the Iron Spider suit, Stark ends up crafting the classic suit which was alot better. Unlike the previous iterations, seeing Spidey get his default suit from Stark was more believable than him getting a sewing machine and crafting something that looks like it required a team of 10 from a state of the art special effects house.

I'm going on alot about Spider-Man, but he was the best part to me and the thing I was really anticipating the most after the lackluster Age of Ultron. He did not disappoint. That and Elizabeth Olsen is cute as fuck.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Amir
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Amir » Fri May 06, 2016 7:28 am

I was a big Spidey fan from '97-'07 (they lost me around One More Day/Brand New Day) and I was very happy with his portrayal in Civil War. Then again, I liked Garfield in TASM2 (the first one bored the tits off me) and was a fan of Maguire growing up as well. I think Spidey had more quips in Civil War than all the other films he's been in.

I'm not the biggest MCU fan, I saw Iron Man and Incredible Hulk in the cinema then passed on the rest until a couple of years ago when I rented the rest to catch up before Age of Ultron. They're mostly one and done for me, enjoyed them all moderately, but there's only 3 I want to watch again:

1. Civil War
2. Ant-Man (big surprise for me)
3. Winter Soldier

I didn't hate BvS but I think Civil War pissed all over it in terms of juggling multiple plot lines, character motivations, action, etc.

I'm not a fan of the comic series, or anything by Mark Millar, so this film really exceeded my expectations.

Also, dat helicopter bicep curl :shock:
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri May 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Garfield played Parker and spiderman pretty well. Tobey was my fav though. But Garfield had garbage storylines. They were too focused on Gwen Stacey and Peter Parker while spiderman felt like a subplot. And absolutely nothing is memorable with either lizard or electro. The best thing about TAS 2 was the suit.

Like I said in the above post I just want a spiderman series that lasts for 4+ movies. Not two that underperform and causes them to reboot the series. I hope because this guy is so young we can get something good going.

I was talking with my wife tonight while we were driving to our inlaws. I think a great overarching plot of the spiderman films would be madam web. I remember vividly from the 90s cartoon her warnings to spiderman of the dangers ahead. That would be so cool to tie the movies together. These are the movie villains I'd like to see in order of the movie they appear in...

Spiderman: Homecoming - Mysterio
Spiderman 2 - Black cat and Michael Morbius
Spiderman 3(just typing that gives me PTSD) - Chameleon
Spiderman 4 - a proper Venom movie
Spiderman 5 - Kraven even though I'm not too fond of him
Spiderman 6 - the sinister six
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Tue May 10, 2016 10:46 pm

So Civil War was alright. Always hated the comic event, but this one just kind of took its name rather than the story itself, so it's not so bad. Still, one of the reasons I hated the comic was that there was an obvious "right" side and an obvious "wrong" one to the conflict, and that element is still very much intact. In order to force the story into motion, you have to make some of the characters side on the "wrong" end of things, and that in turn hurts the characters.
The comic story made me hate Iron Man, when previously I fucking loved Iron Man. The movie doesn't quite hit that extreme, necessarily, but it definitely steps in that direction. Tony Stark is a fucking prick, and not even a fun one anymore. Even with all his Robert Downey Jr.-ness and witty witticisms and whatnot, he turns into a total asshat in this movie. The biggest reason being
his total willingness to recruit a child to act as a soldier for him.
Yeah, Spider-Man is fucking fifteen years old, and Tony Stark sees no problem recruiting him to fight another team of superheroes. He doesn't even present the political issue to him and convince him onto his side; he just uses his identity as rich Mr. Stark to friggin' peer pressure Peter Parker into it. The only reason Peter goes with him is to impress him, because "holy shit, celebrity!"
No two ways about it, Tony Stark is exploiting a child. He's Solidus Snake.

Not to mention that blaming the destruction of the previous movies on the Avengers is moronic (well, ignoring the fact that Ultron was Stark's fault anyway), and with so many super-threats to the world out there, the Avengers are the only protection the world has. So regardless of the casualties the world has suffered (which were the fault of the villains, not the heroes), limiting the Avengers is a dumb fucking idea.

So yeah, motivation-wise and all that, I have some issues with the way it damages certain characters. Same problem I had with the comic story.
But regardless, the action is still great, and most of the characters are still fun as hell. Captain America, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, Falcon; all friggin' gold.
Iron Man, War Machine, Black Widow, Black Panther, and Scarlet Witch however; all either as boring as, or as dumb as a bag of rocks. Dear god, Elizabeth Olsen does quite possibly the worst attempt at an Eastern European accent I've ever heard in a movie.
Waitaminute, that spiraled into negativity faster than I meant for it to...
It's a fun movie with problems. Good popcorn stuff.
But I think Winter Soldier was better.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 am

I actually quite liked it. For me the character drama was pretty great, a lot of the action scenes I honestly could have cared more about. Also, spider-man, completely pointless to bring him into this movie (not that I didn't enjoy his scenes taken as they were, just pointless for the story they were trying to tell).

Most of my friends insisted that Iron Man was clearly right, but I found myself agreeing more with Captain America. Civilian casualty is going to happen with attacks of this scale, no matter what, and the Avengers are the only ones who can deal with these problems. Seems kind of idiotic to show them footage of New York with GIANT FUCKING ALIEN ATTACK SHIPS, and try to make the Avengers feel bad that they didn't save every last person. If I was a person who believed that the actions he was taking was both just actions and necessary actions, I would not sign those papers. The Avengers have not shown negligence or unjust action.

EDIT:
I also personally found myself liking the scenes between Vision and Scarlet Witch. I didn't much care for their characters in Age of Ultron, but this movie has sort of changed that. Liked them both quite a bit.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Wed May 11, 2016 7:09 am

Thief wrote:The Avengers have not shown negligence or unjust action.

Ultron and by extension Zarkovia were Stark's fault, though.

Still, I had a much harder time picking side than I did in the comics (to me Stark was just a dick in the Civil War comics, here he had a point).
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Thief » Wed May 11, 2016 7:28 am

Amir wrote:
Thief wrote:The Avengers have not shown negligence or unjust action.

Ultron and by extension Zarkovia were Stark's fault, though.

lol fair enough, but I meant mostly in the actual dealing with the problems (not necessarily their origin).
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed May 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Thief wrote: Seems kind of idiotic to show them footage of New York with GIANT FUCKING ALIEN ATTACK SHIPS, and try to make the Avengers feel bad that they didn't save every last person.

Apart from the fact that stark is supposed to be the villain of sorts I agree with cap 100%. The whole "people died" was a super weak argument for agreeing to such a political decision as making avengers a UN(or whatever) governed organization. Lots of people died. Just send the police and the military next time and seen what happens. The avengers will just be kicking it in their secret lair or Hawkeye's house when you decide they do what is necessary.

They should've have played up that ultron was Starks creation more than collateral damage caused while the avengers were in the process of SAVING THE FREAKING WORLD!

I loved Spiderman though. I finally feel like they're prepared to handle him well. So is marvel going to be involved in Spidey now with Sony still owning the movie rights?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:51 am

Watched the first episode of Punisher last night and thought it was awesome. I saw it was getting a mixed reception and wondered why. People are complaining it’s too violent... WTF?
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic