E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Sun May 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Along with the main topic now in General Gaming, this topic is for news and speculation regarding Shenmue 3 at E3. As of yet, Sony havent announced anything whatsoever, despite being 36 days away. Not even an official date and time of their conference, however with the rest being announced, its not hard to work out when their conference will take place.

News wise, we dont have much. I am not aware of any tweets floating around from Cedric, or anyone else for that matter. Nor has there been any Kickstarter updates on any E3 news (or non news). We do know Yu Suzuki will be in Los Angeles for the Kickstarter dinner reward, so if he is there then who knows what could happen. Id like to think, there could be an announcement, especially since it would be free advertising to gain more backers and donations to the PayPal campaign. A short video on the Sony stage would help that a lot, perhaps including footage of a new area, character, or the long awaited updated models of Ryo and Shenhua.

Also not to be ignored, is the campaign by Team Yu for #SaveShenmueHD possibly returning some fruits and Sony pulling another crazy announcement out of the bag, with a partnership with Sega and an actual Shenmue HD being announced. I know there are lots of stumbling blocks, but if we just concentrate on the simple aspects here, in that sales of Shenmue 3 will make Sony a profit, Shenmue HD remakes will result in more sales of Shenmue 3, thus Sony could have possibly helped YSNET in getting Sega to act upon developing Shenmue HD. After last years E3, we definitely have no reason to say, "nah, its impossible".

So now, let the countdown and speculation commence!

Sony - TBC - Usually in the evening of Monday June 13

Peter has received 4 thanks from: James Brown, Kiske, Mr357, Sonoshee
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby SMDzero » Sun May 08, 2016 8:58 pm

Best we can hope for is a Shenmue 3 teaser trailer and (GOD willing) Shenmue 1&2 HD announcement.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby KidMarine » Sun May 08, 2016 9:31 pm

I doubt Yu is heading all the way to LA just to go out to dinner, but I also doubt that the game is anywhere near far along enough in development to show off on Sony's main stage. Have to wait and see I guess.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby GYO6161 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:05 pm

I will be fine with no Shenmue 3 news on E3 as long as we have a HD collection announcement.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby ShenGCH » Sun May 08, 2016 11:43 pm

The most we could possibly get in regards to Shenmue III is a teaser trailer showing off the current state of the game (panning shots of interiors and exteriors with some music playing over the top, pretty much), but nothing where gameplay is concerned. Way too early for that at the moment. A Shenmue HD announcement would be the icing on the cake, but I can't see it happening at E3 - maybe some time after, but not during the Sony conference. Then again, many of us said the same thing about Shenmue III for over a decade, so...
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yama » Mon May 09, 2016 3:23 am

Fingers crossed for an HD announcement.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Rakim, Sonoshee
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 09, 2016 5:31 am

I can see a HD collection being announced, but nothing huge in terms of showing Shenmue III. That's definitely something for E3 2017.

If the next Kickstarter update leading to E3 doesn't actually show off any of the game, we'll probably get a sizable game-related update with (hopefully) new screens/video when E3 actually hits.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon May 09, 2016 6:26 am

One month to raise our hopes, one month to rule them (out) :-#

Please play my game!

"Reasons why to expect Shenmue 3 or even better... a Shenmue HD annoucement!"

1. Yu Suzuki presence in LA for the Kickstarter dinner reward.
2. PayPal Slacker Backer page still up and waiting for events like E3 to gain visibility.
3. Rumoured presence of Sega Europe at E3. Great occasion for Suzuki/Sony/Sega discreet meetings.
4. Sega Europe #AskSEGA campaign. Inconceivable (imo) that they didn't anticipate the #SaveShenmueHD effect.
5. Adam Boyes Twitter account banner. Unchanged since last E3...
6. Shenmue 3 teasers from Magic Monaco never "officially" released.
7. Ryuji Iuchi's "private demo music for that demo movie's scene": https://soundcloud.com/ryujiiuchi/erhu
8. Lack of new Ryo, Shenhua, etc... models since E3 2015 trailer.

Game rules? Simply undermine every point of the list. :twisted:

Sub-game rules? Find other good reasons why to expect Shenmue 3 or Shenmue HD at E3. :king:

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Mon May 09, 2016 8:15 am

Positivity as always Kiske =D>
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Giorgio » Mon May 09, 2016 9:11 am

I went to Lapis and she told me we won't see Shenmue 1 & 2 HD at E3 '16, but there's a possibility will see it at PSX '16 or E3 '17 or PSX '17 (some mystic clouds where blocking her view and couldn't see well which one it is).

Giorgio has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, shengoro86, VukBZ2005
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon May 09, 2016 9:58 am

Lol if we don't hear anything of the HD collection I'm imagining some p*ssed off fan is going to tweet harsh things to Adam Boyes again. Remember when he said "Rome wasn't built in a day?" Lmao Boyes is a great guy!

Hoping we hear something from SEGA of the HD collections, if not like Giorgio says maaaybe PSX but failing that I doubt we'll see it unless there is literally no marketing/advertising put in it and they just drop it (it would still help them to be fair...) but as everyone is saying, let's stay positive about this.

Failing Shenmue I'm sure we'll hear of other great things, after all it'll be hard to top off last year. Personally I'm glad we're in a situation where we have S3 and anticipating S1+S2 (and not the other way around).

Hoping for some more on:
- Soul Calibur 6
- Splinter Cell
- Shenmue 3 news obviously! :-p
- Tekken 6
- Phantom Dust if it's truly not in dev hell as MS says...
- Charles Cecil's new project...
- Scalebound (and more JRPGs for Xbox please!)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon May 09, 2016 10:59 am

I'm not expecting anything related to Shenmue at this E3, let's hope i'm wrong!

Shenhua-Nani? has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Mon May 09, 2016 11:08 am

We hope too!

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 09, 2016 11:19 am

Kiske wrote: One month to raise our hopes, one month to rule them (out) :-#

Please play my game!

"Reasons why to expect Shenmue 3 or even better... a Shenmue HD annoucement!"

1. Yu Suzuki presence in LA for the Kickstarter dinner reward.
2. PayPal Slacker Backer page still up and waiting for events like E3 to gain visibility.
3. Rumoured presence of Sega Europe at E3. Great occasion for Suzuki/Sony/Sega discreet meetings.
4. Sega Europe #AskSEGA campaign. Inconceivable (imo) that they didn't anticipate the #SaveShenmueHD effect.
5. Adam Boyes Twitter account banner. Unchanged since last E3...
6. Shenmue 3 teasers from Magic Monaco never "officially" released.
7. Ryuji Iuchi's "private demo music for that demo movie's scene": https://soundcloud.com/ryujiiuchi/erhu
8. Lack of new Ryo, Shenhua, etc... models since E3 2015 trailer.

Game rules? Simply undermine every point of the list. :twisted:

Sub-game rules? Find other good reasons why to expect Shenmue 3 or Shenmue HD at E3. :king:

*cracks fingers*

(Should note I'm not doing this to rain on any parades. I'm just personally expecting media close to what we got at MAGIC, and not some huge public showing.)

1. E3 is a trade event where a number of meetings are held. It's one of the few events where you can guarantee the people you'll want to see will be in town. Yu's last meeting with Boyes and Gio Corsi were in Japan, and this is likely their next meeting for a project update. It doesn't mean anything in terms of the public getting a big Shenmue III blow-out.

2. Nothing really to say about this. YSnet must have figured it generates enough income monthly to keep open indefinitely, even if it only pays the wages of say, one programmer. They don't really promote it very well though, but that's Awesome Japan's fault tbh.

3. It's gone on record that SEGA has nothing to do with Shenmue III outside of just taking a share of profits when the game is done. For Shenmue HD, not saying any meetings haven't taken place already, but it's likely any talks between YSnet, Sony, and SEGA will take place in Japan instead of at E3.

4. Not the first time SEGA have gotten bombarded on Twitter about Shenmue. Just sayin'. It's as ordinary as rain.

5. He's pretty proud of it, I presume. Doesn't actually mean anything.

6. Nothing really to say about this. When the KS campaign don't even upload full-res images, you can't really point to a lack of video uploads as some conspiracy that they're saving it all for E3. It's still weird how they never showed off the Bailu Village Hut video off properly either, but I'm chalking that down to AJ ineptitude over anything else. It'd be disappointing if they were to just show the MAGIC videos again at E3 anyway.

7. It's hard to parse the Japanese to English translation that made that sentence, but demo can mean both music demo, and as a Japanese term for cutscenes/trailers in games. That aint' the music for a trailer though, and they're not ready to show gameplay. Seeing how Iuchi published it publicly, it's likely just a musical demo to be repurposed, rearranged, or reorchestrated later.

8. This one is easy to dismiss. They don't want to show them off until they're either done, or in an acceptable state.

But hey, I guess after last year nothing is off the table. Just don't make a Shenmue HD announcement an inevitability, or hype people up for a big Shenmue III showing we know we're not getting.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby alexh86 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:32 pm

I happen to think we won't see anything related to Shenmue III. E3 is a time to announce upcoming projects for the first time OR to show new video of projects that will be important sellers over the next six to twelve months. It's not really a time to show a project update on something that's known to be coming but is still a long way off. Nothing we've seen in recent project updates tells me that there is a lot they could show in video form either. We've seen a lot of scenery but we've seen no character models and I just don't think they have enough to create a two-minute trailer.

In my opinion, it's more likely to see a Shenmue HD announcement than it is to see a Shenmue III update but this is pure speculation. We shall see!

alexh86 has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Next

Return to Shenmue III