E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby Sonoshee » Wed May 11, 2016 10:22 am

ShenSun wrote: Shenmue 3 will on the E3 stage. They'd be stupid not to show it considering how much buzz it got last year.

It was one of the biggest announcements at their conference.

Im calling it, Shenmue 3 trailer or gameplay demo with models finally being revealed, along with an hd announcement of the first 2.

They already stated somewhere (I forget the exact place, maybe someone can help me out here) that Shenmue 3 would not be at E3 at all this year (there apparently won't be enough to show). I'd love to be proven wrong but I am not getting my hopes up for anything concrete. After all these years of being disappointed, I'm surprised you are so willing to set yourself up this way regarding a trailer, models AND Shenmue HD.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 11, 2016 10:30 am

Nobody should be getting their hopes up about a trailer on an E3 stage at all.

It's far too early, and these fully produced trailers take a long time and dedicated resources to create. The focus is clearly on creating the game right now, and Shenmue III punching above its weight by getting into the AAA hype game is a waste of time and money.

Best case scenario is:
. Shenmue III gets name-checked on-stage at Sony's conference
. Shenmue HD
. Large KS update on the game's progress

Thinking we're getting much more than that is setting yourself up for disappointment.

We'll get a well produced reintroduction trailer eventually, but this year's TGS/PSX is the very earliest I can imagine it happening. E3 2017 would be the right time to start getting people excited.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hanzumon » Wed May 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Nobody should be getting their hopes up about a trailer on an E3 stage at all.

It's far too early, and these fully produced trailers take a long time and dedicated resources to create. The focus is clearly on creating the game right now, and Shenmue III punching above its weight by getting into the AAA hype game is a waste of time and money.

Maybe we get a little teaser-trailer ... not a big Triple A Three Minutes Trailer ...

But one thing: Last year, the game was NOT into development and we get a trailer with a little demo for the kickstarter thing.

And 12 Monats later, we will get nothing? I don´t think, that we will see nothing about Shenmue III on the Sony-Event. I don´t think that Yu Suzuki is in LA to show us something big, but a little update with a short Teaser-Trailer should be possible ...

Sony is not Nintendo and will do nothing special on a E3-Event :shock:
Hanzumon
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby ShenSun » Wed May 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Personally, i just want the Shenmue HD announcement. Im happy enough knowing that Shenmue 3 is in production. Im still certain it will be at E3 though.

Only one month left. Im booking that day off work. I watched E3 last year at work and people thought i was insane due to my mood and behavior going crazy after the announcement. Couldn't focus on work for the next 6 hours :)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Hanzumon wrote:Maybe we get a little teaser-trailer ... not a big Triple A Three Minutes Trailer ...

But one thing: Last year, the game was NOT into development and we get a trailer with a little demo for the kickstarter thing.

And 12 Monats later, we will get nothing? I don´t think, that we will see nothing about Shenmue III on the Sony-Event. I don´t think that Yu Suzuki is in LA to show us something big, but a little update with a short Teaser-Trailer should be possible ...

Sony is not Nintendo and will do nothing special on a E3-Event :shock:

I don't even think a small teaser is on the cards. They've barely started motion capture, and as far as we're aware there isn't even a sound team in place.

Last year was different, because there needed to be something for the press conference and the Kickstarter to get people excited. Now though? The public are expecting more. Showing Shenmue III in a half-baked state is going to do more harm than good, not to mention take development attention away from where it is needed.

We need to remember development began in earnest during August last year. Most games these days don't even get shown until a year and a half/two years into development, why would Shenmue III get shown off after 10 months?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Wed May 11, 2016 3:22 pm

To keep the name fresh in the average gamers mind and encourage extra donations to an ongoing Paypal for the games development for one, of which the presenter in the conference has a stake in the profits. Exactly what they did with the Kickstarter announcement last year: free advertising.

Nothing new to us even needs to be shown. Just a re-editing of the Shenhuas house cinematic from MAGIC cut with images from Bailu Village we have already seen, and an image with the Paypal logo and the link at the end of it. The reach of the conference is immense, even more so after last year. Nothing but good things can come of it.

It's important to remember that we are still very much a crowdfunding title, and that nothing has changed since last year except for having 6.5 million in the pot. We have not met Suzuki-sans adequate amount for the full Shenmue experience, and another significant difference from last year is that we have 10 months work to sell the game better than last year's tech demo, and gain more donations. Plus, it could be combined with a reveal of a new reward, which Suzuki-san said he would like to make back in February.

Anything is possible.

Peter has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Ziming » Wed May 11, 2016 3:40 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Wed May 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Wow. Well bravo for at least acknowledging it!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 11, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm taking this as a confirmation that it's happening. They wouldn't be talking about it at all if the licencing was completely unworkable.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed May 11, 2016 4:30 pm

Spaghetti wrote:I'm taking this as a confirmation that it's happening. They wouldn't be talking about it at all if the licencing was completely unworkable.

That was a pretty big elephant in the room, which was ready to make an awful lot of mess on the carpet if they'd ignored it.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby James Brown » Wed May 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Yeah they only mentioned it because of the amount of #AskSEGA questions about it, they promised to try and answer any question and when 60+% of the questions were about Shenmue (look at above graph :) ), they had to keep that promise and somewhat explain Sega's current stance on the title. I wouldn't assume it's "Confirmed", but it's certainly a step in the right direction!
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kintor » Wed May 11, 2016 4:49 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I'm taking this as a confirmation that it's happening. They wouldn't be talking about it at all if the licencing was completely unworkable.

Yeah, if Sega is saying anything about Shenmue 1 and 2 HD right now then they must be pretty confident most of the licencing issues can be overcome. The worst case scenario Sega could probably adopted a similar policy to how they ported Crazy Taxi, by replacing any brand names with generic equivalents: KFC = generic 'Fried Chicken Shack' etc. This means that the HD versions wouldn't be 100% like the original games but I'm willing to accept a few visual changes like that for the sake of overcoming the licencing problems.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 11, 2016 4:50 pm

It's been the elephant in the room for years at this point.

Closest we've gotten to any kind of acknowledgement was when that SEGA rep had a slip of the tongue, and mentioned Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue as hotly requested re-releases.

Why do I think this is a subtle confirmation?

Actually stating they're investigating making it happen is a big turning point. The business case has likely been made to have the go-ahead for figuring out the legal wrangling, and the legal situation must be workable enough, or have a viable alternative, to talk about a HD Collection publicly like in the video.

SEGA probably wouldn't set themselves up for a fall by talking about Shenmue HD before they were confident it could happen one way or another. I think the battles to be won now are just getting the games as accurate to the Dreamcast originals as possible by making an agreement on the licenced aspects.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 pm

If that's the case, then I hope they don't let something like product placement delay them from getting the games out before Shenmue III. The clock, Timex or otherwise, is ticking...
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Peter » Wed May 11, 2016 5:12 pm

What licensing are they referring to though? The branded items in the game? Or the more intricate working of the game engine used that were not property of Sega? Surely in game branding issues are just a question of money no? That's easily sorted. But a year later and we are only getting comments now, with seemingly no work done on the HD remasters?

Plenty of fat to chew.

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/sega-investi ... -remasters

I really hope this news catches across as many gaming sites as it can. The water is beginning to boil. Let's keep the pressure on.

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III