E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby Telekill » Fri May 13, 2016 12:46 pm

As far as Shenmue is concerned for this E3, I doubt we'll get much of anything for Shenmue 3 beyond a nod that the Kickstarter was a success. In other words, old news. If anything, I'm guessing we have a chance (however slim) of having a Shenmue HD Collection announcement for PS4.

Keep in mind that E3 is chalk full of content that is very specifically tailored to fill their time. The fact that Yu Suzuki took the stage last year was massive for Sony to allow. I don't expect anything Shenmue related until E3 2017.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby ShenSun » Fri May 13, 2016 5:47 pm

So after Sega's latest Sega central vid, i think i may have to revise my prediction.

If Shenmue HD is still being investigated, it will be announced E3 2017. If its already done, this year

I still think We're getting a Shenmue 3 trailer next month though.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jibby » Fri May 13, 2016 9:56 pm

Monkei wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Almost 1 year after the big KS success and they are still "investigating" how to solve licence issues and make the game?

"Investigating" smells like a pr response made to nor confirm the thing and neither deny it, which saves them from the anger of fans if they denied it.

Reminds me of Yu Suzuki "looking into" Kickstarter for a couple of years. :P

Yeah but the difference is, unlike SEGA, Yu Suzuki actually gave a fuck about what the fans wanted and actively tried to please people because he knew how special the game was to all of us. SEGA couldn't care less about us. They're a faceless corporation who put profit and reputation first and passion (much) later. That's why I'm skeptical that SEGA will ever release an HD collection unless Sony or another investor bankroll it.

Jibby has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kintor » Sat May 14, 2016 3:19 am

Jibby wrote:Yeah but the difference is, unlike SEGA, Yu Suzuki actually gave a fuck about what the fans wanted and actively tried to please people because he knew how special the game was to all of us. SEGA couldn't care less about us. They're a faceless corporation who put profit and reputation first and passion (much) later. That's why I'm skeptical that SEGA will ever release an HD collection unless Sony or another investor bankroll it.

Don't forget that Yu Suzuki still needed Sega's permission in order to make Shenmue 3 possible at all. When so many other legendary developers have had to make off-brand replicas of their greatest work (i.e. Mighty No. 9) Yu Suzuki has the opportunity to continue the Shenmue saga will the full backing of Sega, an unprecedented achievement for any video game Kickstarter. With time there’s every reason to believe that Sega will release Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, the fact that Sega has made any official statement is good news. Sega could’ve simply avoided the subject but instead choose to acknowledge the real demand for Shenmue 1 and 2 on modern platforms.

Kintor has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Ziming
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sappharad » Sat May 14, 2016 12:00 pm

Kintor wrote:Don't forget that Yu Suzuki still needed Sega's permission in order to make Shenmue 3 possible at all. When so many other legendary developers have had to make off-brand replicas of their greatest work (i.e. Mighty No. 9) Yu Suzuki has the opportunity to continue the Shenmue saga will the full backing of Sega, an unprecedented achievement for any video game Kickstarter. With time there’s every reason to believe that Sega will release Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, the fact that Sega has made any official statement is good news. Sega could’ve simply avoided the subject but instead choose to acknowledge the real demand for Shenmue 1 and 2 on modern platforms.

It seems logical to me that we'll see a mention of Shenmue 3 at E3 this year, no matter how Big or Small that might be. It's positive press for Sony that they helped with bringing Shenmue 3 to PS4 and they're going to want to mention exclusives that they have over Microsoft and Nintendo.

Regarding Sega, maybe we will hear news about increased involvement from them? We saw a few months ago in one of the interviews or updates that Suzuki was experimenting with Magic Maze, which was supposed to be one of the later stretch goals. While that may have just been to see how much it would actually cost to do compared to initial estimates, perhaps Sega decided that they want to publish the game and put some additional money behind it?

I'm still hoping for a pledge upgrade system (I'm already in the top 1%, which most of us here probably are) but I hope they've reached a point where they have the budget to do what they really wanted and the slacker backer funds are just helping them put more resources into making it the best it can be without delaying beyond the end of 2017.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat May 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Kintor wrote:
Jibby wrote:Yeah but the difference is, unlike SEGA, Yu Suzuki actually gave a fuck about what the fans wanted and actively tried to please people because he knew how special the game was to all of us. SEGA couldn't care less about us. They're a faceless corporation who put profit and reputation first and passion (much) later. That's why I'm skeptical that SEGA will ever release an HD collection unless Sony or another investor bankroll it.

Don't forget that Yu Suzuki still needed Sega's permission in order to make Shenmue 3 possible at all. When so many other legendary developers have had to make off-brand replicas of their greatest work (i.e. Mighty No. 9) Yu Suzuki has the opportunity to continue the Shenmue saga will the full backing of Sega, an unprecedented achievement for any video game Kickstarter. With time there’s every reason to believe that Sega will release Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, the fact that Sega has made any official statement is good news. Sega could’ve simply avoided the subject but instead choose to acknowledge the real demand for Shenmue 1 and 2 on modern platforms.

There is absolutely ZERO backing from SEGA when it comes to Shenmue III, not even PR support, they simply didn't give enough shits about the Shenmue brand to hold it so YS managed to steal it from them and make a deal with Sony.

It's not the first, nor it will be the last time SEGA acknowledges Shenmue. The HD ports will eventually come but in modern age SEGA fashion, it will be poorly done and ten years late.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hanzumon » Sat May 14, 2016 2:31 pm

I don´t like sega anymore. There were great in the past, but in the last 10 years, there are´t making any great games anymore.

I hope, that sega will make HD-Master of Shenmue I & II and that they give Yu Suzuki enough money to produce Shenmue IV an V, if Shenmue III is a huge success.

But besides of Shenmue: I don´t care about Sega anymore. They are on the way like Rare. Great Games in the past and the best memories on there games. But not good today.

I´m thankfull that sega lets Yu Suzuki doing Shenmue III. I hope thate Sega bring Shenmue 1 and 2 in HD. But thats all ... Sega was great in the 90s and in the years around 2000. Not today!!!
Hanzumon
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby Centrale » Sat May 14, 2016 6:23 pm

I still like Sega, and I'd say with the exception of a few dry years they've released many excellent games since becoming a third party company. I don't expect them to function with an 80s, 90s, or 00s strategy in 2016. They've done what's necessary to survive and still manage to put out some titles that are too risky for other publishers. Considering they took a significant loss on Shenmue, I think it's understandable that they wanted to minimize their risk/involvement in its future. And rather than outsourcing it to some random developer they waited until Yu Suzuki got his own business in order to take on the project and keep it in good hands. Although, like many, I find their decisions baffling at times, I understand that fans sometimes personify companies in unrealistic ways and we don't know the whole story. We do know that Yu Suzuki insists that he has a good relationship with Sega and hasn't expressed that he feels wronged by the company. Maybe much later when nothing is at stake he'll describe the situation differently, but for now I'm inclined to take him at his word.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat May 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Centrale wrote: I still like Sega, and I'd say with the exception of a few dry years they've released many excellent games since becoming a third party company. I don't expect them to function with an 80s, 90s, or 00s strategy in 2016. They've done what's necessary to survive and still manage to put out some titles that are too risky for other publishers. Considering they took a significant loss on Shenmue, I think it's understandable that they wanted to minimize their risk/involvement in its future. And rather than outsourcing it to some random developer they waited until Yu Suzuki got his own business in order to take on the project and keep it in good hands. Although, like many, I find their decisions baffling at times, I understand that fans sometimes personify companies in unrealistic ways and we don't know the whole story. We do know that Yu Suzuki insists that he has a good relationship with Sega and hasn't expressed that he feels wronged by the company. Maybe much later when nothing is at stake he'll describe the situation differently, but for now I'm inclined to take him at his word.

Name me a great NEW (not port, remaster etc) SEGA game released in the past 12 months that's not Yakuza.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby KidMarine » Sat May 14, 2016 7:40 pm

In fairness to SEGA, they still make some great games like the Yakuza series and Phantasy Star Online 2. And they've done a great job with some of their HD remasters like Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS and Daytona.

But no company will ever come close to how brilliant they used to be. They had tremendous imagination and the skill and knowledge to turn amazing and unique ideas into awesome games. No other company could have made Jet Set Radio or NiGHTS or Super Monkey Ball or Panzer Dragoon. And no company ever will again.

Shit, I've made myself sad...
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Spaghetti » Sat May 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:Name me a great NEW (not port, remaster etc) SEGA game released in the past 12 months that's not Yakuza.

Over 12 months, but Alien Isolation was great.

Don't the Persona titles count as SEGA now that they own ATLUS? I'm sure the spin-offs were reasonably well received.

SEGA's issue these days is that they've paired down their output a considerable amount, so they're losing mind-share. Behind the scenes it seems new SEGA CEO Haruki Satomi understand they've shit the bed on preserving their legacy, but business is business and change happens pretty glacially. SEGA has a grip on what they've done wrong, but now we're just waiting for them to do something about it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sat May 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Name me a great NEW (not port, remaster etc) SEGA game released in the past 12 months that's not Yakuza.

The past 12 months have been interesting in the respect that Sega delayed several of its AAA games to give them more development time, a commitment to quality over quarterly profits alone. Now those games are almost ready, the next 12 months will see the release of several great new Sega games. Such as Persona 5, Total War: Warhammer and Valkyria: Azure Revolution. Plus, there are other great Sega games being made which don't have a firm release date at this time. Such as Yakuza 6, Dawn of War 3 and the as yet unnamed (but definitely assumed to exist) 25th anniversary Sonic game.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Centrale » Sat May 14, 2016 9:36 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Name me a great NEW (not port, remaster etc) SEGA game released in the past 12 months that's not Yakuza.

I reject the premise of the challenge for a number of reasons. First, Yakuza is one of my favorite series; why wouldn't I count it? It's an example of iterative development done right and each game is made to a high standard of quality, with tons of new content year in and year out. Why wouldn't I count the 3DS 3D Classics "reissues," as they're obviously much more elaborately developed than a typical collection?

Secondly, video games are such a diverse medium that it's like saying name me a great book published by Doubleday or a great movie by Paramount. It's entirely possible that people who are friends and otherwise have a lot in common, might not have any shared interest in the same types of games, as I've observed with my own groups of friends. (However, just for the sake of the discussion, I quite liked Tembo.)

Thirdly, Sega's publishing model has changed dramatically over the past decade, so if you can't acknowledge or get into their Total War titles or their Football Manager titles, for example, which are highly rated and dominate their respective genres in sales, then that's on you, not Sega.

I realize there are a lot of people with hurt feelings about Sega... a lot of times I think people are trying to pin the blame for their own lost youth on this company. The company is rolling on. They change, we change, that's how it goes.

Centrale has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kintor
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Sat May 14, 2016 11:45 pm

I for one hate Sega and think they suck.

Sega used to be great, but now simply they're terrible.

Sometimes formerly great companies go down the tubes.

Rare, Konami, Sega, all once great video game companies which have now transformed into garbage.

For everyone who still LIKES Sega let them never forget.. NEVER FORGET their ultimate betrayal the cancellation of Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast.

Peter Moore canceled Shenmue 2, and then laughed at us all the way to the bank.

Now through the misguided idealism of those who like crap like Yakuza Sega has limped on ever since.

It's time to finish the job and let Sega die.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun May 15, 2016 4:38 am

So basically: "I got nothing".

Persona 5 - Atlus
Total War - Creative Assembly
Valkyria: Azure Revolution - Media Vision

My point was, the last internally developed SEGA Japan game that's worth a damn is basically just Yakuza series, they make little else nowadays and even then we had to fight tooth and nail to actually get the newer games released over here (thanks Sony, no thanks to SEGA). Even Sonic is outsourced now. Phantasy Star Online 2 doesn't count since we never got it.

I can't get into Total War and Football Manager since those games aren't for me (I can't force myself to enjoy sports games as I can't force myself to enjoy PC strategy games; they fit a specific niche). It's kinda silly to say "that's on you, not them" when it only appeals to certain demographics. When I think "SEGA" I don't think of games like that. I think of games like "Virtua Fighter", "Panzer Dragoon", "Sonic", "Shining series", "House of the Dead", "OutRun", "Ristar", "Skies of Arcadia", "Valkyria Chronicles", "Yakuza", "Shenmue", "Phantasy Star", "Streets of Rage", "ToeJam & Earl" - games like that.

And no, I don't hate SEGA, I'm just really disappointed in them nowadays. Even the stuff they are making nowadays they don't want to give us.

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III