Batfleck: The Movie

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Batfleck: The Movie

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Good news? Solo Batfleck confirmed.

Bad news? Geoff Johns is involved.

LAS VEGAS — Tell me, Ben Affleck ... do you direct comic-book movies? You WILL.

Warner Bros. is moving forward with a standalone Batman film with Affleck at the helm — if studio head Kevin Tsujihara is to be believed.

During his opening remarks at the Warners' presentation at Cinemacon, Tsujihara said the studio was excited to be going ahead with the film, which has long been rumored but never confirmed — as well as an Aquaman movie by James Wan.

Affleck hinted at the project — if obliquely — during a press conference last month for Batman v Superman, acknowledging that he'd learned a lot from director Zack Snyder during the making of the film.

But on Monday, he took the CinemaCon stage with all mystery blown to smithereens.

"It's been tremendously exciting for us to be a part of the DC Universe, and we're looking forward to working on Justice League," said Affleck, who appeared with BvS co-star Amy Adams shortly after Tsujihara's remarks.

It was a timely vote of confidence for Warner Bros.' DC Comics plans, which were prematurely called into question by many outlets after critics torched Batman v Superman and audiences scattered following a huge opening weekend.

BvS director Zack Snyder appeared via video link along with Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot and other cast from London, where they're about to start production on Justice League. Warners also showed a long sizzle reel that included footage from director Patty Jenkins' upcoming Wonder Woman — most of which we've seen in a featurette from this year (below) — mixed in with the latest trailer for Suicide Squad.

The point: All these DC Comics films do in fact connect, a point that was driven home by both the footage and the exectives onstage.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/12/ben-affl ... AdM1mG.iqc

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: Batfleck: The Movie

Postby OL » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:03 pm

How is Geoff Johns involved? Nothing in the article about him.
Anyway, not a fan of his? Around the time I stopped reading comics regularly, he wasn't bad. He'd really brought both The Flash and Green Lantern back to life and made them compelling and fun again. And finally watching through the Arrow and Flash tv shows right now, some of the better episodes have him in a co-writing credit.
But eh, guess I haven't actually read any comics by him lately, so I guess he could have aged like bread rather than wine. And I guess he's never exactly been known for anything Batman-related, as far as I remember, so if he is involved, he is kind of a weird inclusion in this.

But whatever, more Affleck as Batman is good. I really hope they don't try to go world-destruction big with it though. With a guy like Affleck as director, I'm actually hoping for some legitimate smaller-scale crime/vigilante stuff, especially after BvS established him as something of an urban legend in Gotham.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Ben said a month or two back that he was working with Geoff Johns on something exciting. This is clearly it. I like some of his work. Dialogue/character interactions are where he excels, but his stories just fall apart. Regularly. Blackest Night seemed to last a fucking lifetime, Flashpoint felt like an Elsworlds rip off of Rock of Ages/Final Crisis, his handling of the New 52's first encounter with Darkseid was woeful (plus he had to throw Hal into Batman & Superman's first meeting), the stories that followed just plodded along and felt like he was struggling to find something for the Justice League to actually do, Infinite Crisis was pretty shit, he has to throw Hal and Barry into fucking everything, and he was partly responsible for the New 52's existence, then denied calling it a mistake despite the fact they're currently correcting that mistake. Plus he's an absolute bellend.

More than anything though, whilst he's good at writing dialogue for Batman, his handling of the character is often poor. The Earth One graphic novels in particular were bland as fuck. And for all the praise he gets for his limited involvement in the Arrowverse shows, remember that he was heavily involved in the Green Lantern film (which tbh I enjoyed, but seriously, fuck this guy...)

Did I mention I don't like him?

As a side-note, have you watched BvS yet or what?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:46 am

I'm looking forward to a Batfleck solo film, his take on it was one of the few things I liked in BvS. Not crazy about his Bruce Wayne, but Affleck is a good director (well on Argo he was).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:36 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: As a side-note, have you watched BvS yet or what?

Psh, just occurred to me that I never said anything else about it. I guess with all that had been said already, I didn't feel like arguing with anyone since there's just no changing peoples' minds sometimes. Thoughts in spoilers, just so it doesn't take up too much space in the wrong topic. Also, not intending to debate anyone about it. Some hate it, some like it. I don't think anyone is going to be convinced against what they already think.
Anyway, big ramble coming up.
I thought it was great. Most of the criticisms are pretty unwarranted in my eyes.
Sure, the first hour is a bit slow, but it's all setting up completely necessary story material; it's not like it drags its feet for no reason. Everything adds up to something, or is obvious setup for the future. I have no problem with that.
People also complain about seeing Batman's parents being murdered once again, but I'd honestly argue that even though I already know the story, this is easily the single most beautifully-shot and emotionally-effective rendition of that origin I've ever seen. Makes Nolan's version seem ridiculously weak and un-cinematic by comparison.
People also complain that the two characters fighting makes no sense, because these are supposedly two of the smartest men on the planet, and one would think they could have just talked it out. The people that complain about that apparently missed Affleck's line (that was even in the trailers) about how "if we believe there's even a 1% chance that [Superman] is our enemy, we have to take it as an absolute certainty." Kind of spells out his single-mindedness on the subject right there. Not hard to grasp. Superman could bake Batman cookies, and it wouldn't change the fact that he could potentially be a walking (slash flying) WMD.
Likewise, the complaints about the "Martha" scene are absolutely silly. Honestly, why can't anyone wrap their heads around why Batman turns himself around in that moment? It all felt pretty reasonable to me. People play dumb and pretend that it's just that their mothers have the same name; obviously that's the dumbest conclusion one could come to. Batman's attitude turns around because, in potentially his last moments alive, Superman cares more about his human mother's life than he does about his own. This marks him not only as being heroic and good, but also as being just as human as Batman himself. He's not the potentially evil alien Batman assumed he might be. Meanwhile, the fact that her name is Martha offers Batman some tiny chance at redemption for the actions he obviously couldn't take as a child. A mother named Martha is on the razor's edge of being murdered, just as his own mother once was, and he has the chance to change it this time. For an emotionally-damaged character like Batman, the benefits of a moment like that ought to be obvious.
I find it funny that while everyone complains about Nolan's movies for overexplaining everything, people also complain when they're offered something simple to interpret for themselves, but can't seem to wrap their heads around it. Silliness.

I can, however, understand the complaint that Luthor's involvement doesn't seem to make much sense; it's never clearly explained why he's doing what he's doing. But there are hints, which I understand if people missed.
He talks about equating his powerful father (who was abusive) to being somewhat god-like, but also explains the idea that a god can't be all-powerful while also remaining all-good, just as one can't be all-good and be all-powerful. Basically, his dad was all-powerful but a total asshole. He has daddy issues.
In a weird way, I can almost look at the story as being like a Superman equivalent to The Killing Joke. While Joker's plan in that was to prove that one bad day can drive even the sanest of men mad, in BvS it seems like Luthor is trying to prove that Superman (the "god" in question) can't be all-powerful and all-good at the same time, by forcing him to kill again.
That is, of course, not even mentioning the deleted scene they released online, which shows that Luthor was obviously under the control, to some extent, of outside forces (the New Gods of Apocalypse, or maybe Darkseid himself). That's their bad for not putting it in the theatrical release. But it should be in the bluray cut, so it'll be interesting to see what else was missing.

Meanwhile, that also leads to the most interesting thing about the entire movie, in my eyes; the idea that the Justice League will need to protect Lois (Superman's anchor to humanity) in the future to keep Superman from going bad, as he did in the vision of the future that Batman has.
Sure, there's the idea that the League needs to exist to protect humanity from encroaching evil, blah blah blah... same reason the Avengers get together. But there's also the fact that they need to be there to keep Superman, the most powerful, potentially dangerous being on the planet, connected to his humanity. They have to be babysitters.
It's an interesting angle, and I'm really surprised that Warner Bros. is approaching so much of this stuff from slightly more subtle, less-obvious angles. This shit really was made for the fans who dig the less-mainstream ideas. For all the talk of how the move is just a big dumb slugfest, there are a lot of deeper ideas in here that many don't even seem to have picked up on.

Also, am I the one one who picked up on the way the movie is dark and bland and grim in the beginning, but once the Trinity finally shows up together... suddenly it's colorful as hell and feels way more like a classic DC Universe sorta thing?
I felt like that was a signal, that the future movies in DC's film universe are going to be a bit more comicbook-proper, in a way. Suddenly you've got much more in the way of costumed heroes stomping around the world, and everything is going to be brighter and more "fun." For all the talk of how dark and mean the movie is, I actually thought it had a really hopeful ending to it, which, in my eyes, seems to point toward future movies which might be more in-line with what people want out of these characters. They just had to properly build up to it.

OL has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Monkei
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:33 pm

Pretty much argued the exact same points (almost verbatim) since I seen it. I knew you'd get it.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:11 pm

Although I didn't like Batman v Superman one thing I couldn't fault was the casting (just the writing and direction) for Bruce and Alfred. I'll reserve getting excited about this until we've seen Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman, I'm interested too see how much influence Zack Snyder has over the movie universe as a whole. Even if Suicide Squad is terrible but feels different too Man of Steel and BvS at least I'll know Ben Affleck can run free with this.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:47 pm

I doubt they're too tied down to Snyder. David Ayer is a good writer/director but the Suicide Squad trailers look everything but. Might be a different kind of awful but I rather it not be.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Monkei » Wed May 04, 2016 10:08 am

MAY, 03 2016
AFFLECK'S BATMAN FILM RUMORED TO BE 'CRAMMED' WITH VILLAINS
Who do you want to see?

BY NICOLE CARPENTER
Ben Affleck's solo Batman film won't only have one villain, according to a new rumor. And not just two, either—it'll feature "most" of Batman's major enemies.

Sources at Birth.Movies.Death are reporting "many, if not most, members of Batman's rogue's gallery will be making appearances in the film."
DC is reportedly looking to create the "definitive" Batman film, and to tell the "ultimate Batman story." Although most of the villains will likely be cameos, it certainly sound like they're looking to go big with the film.
Affleck will direct and star in the upcoming standalone Batman film. Further details have not been officially announced.
For now, Bat-fans can check out Batman in Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Over at IGN, we thought Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was just okay.
Which Batman villains do you hope to see in the film? Let us know in the comments.

Sounds like something that hasn't been done before. Looking forward to it.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu May 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Trust me, it's been done plenty. Just not in live action.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu May 05, 2016 5:54 pm

That's what I meant. :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Wed May 18, 2016 2:26 am

MAY, 17 2016
WARNER BROS. SHAKEUP SEES GEOFF JOHNS ASSUME KEY DC MOVIES ROLE
DC Comics chief creative officer Johns will co-run DC Films.

BY LUKE REILLY
Warner Bros. is making changes to its DC Comics film department in the wake of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice’s lukewarm reception, with DC Comics chief creative officer Geoff Johns set to co-run a dedicated film division with current Warner Bros. Pictures executive VP Jon Berg.

The news comes via The Hollywood Reporter, which states Batman v Superman’s below-expectations performance at the box-office is the catalyst for this executive shake-up and describes the shift as a “course correction”.
Batman v Superman managed to rake in just under $900 million worldwide but the figure has proven lower than desired and has been eclipsed by Captain America: Civil War just weeks after the latter opened. Batman v Superman also failed to overtake Fox’s surprise R-rated hit Deadpool at the US box office.

Johns, who has previously worked on Smallville, Arrow, and The Flash, served as a co-producer and creative consultant for 2011’s Green Lantern and as executive producer on Batman v Superman. As part of their new gigs, Johns and Berg will reportedly become producers on the Justice League movies.
According to The Hollywood Reporter's sources, Berg's bigger role in DC movies going forward will begin with director David Ayer's Suicide Squad; he's apparently now involved in post-production on the film. According to THR, "the studio is working to smooth out the third act of Suicide Squad."
Berg is also co-writing the script for the next Batman movie with star Ben Affleck himself.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed May 18, 2016 11:05 am

I guess Mitts isn't going to be happy. :lol:
Personally, I don't really know what Geoff Johns is like these days, but I do know that in the early-2000s he did a pretty awesome job of writing origins and new introductions to a number of classic characters in ways that were really appealing and palatable to readers at the time... and starting up this movie franchise, that's exactly what Warner Bros. needs to do. Granted, this news doesn't necessarily mean he'll be writing anything, but if he's there to guide things into a slightly snappier direction, I can't say I'm against it.
At the very least he concretely knows his comics, so at least it isn't just a bunch of mindless execs at the top.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed May 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Let's face it, they're just making it official, he was that guy anyway.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:42 am

Oct, 17 2016
The Batman: Deathstroke Actor Joe Manganiello Says Solo Film Shoots Spring 2017
Not much longer now!
by Alex Osborn

Filming for Warner Bros.' upcoming Batman solo film, possibly titled The Batman, will begin this coming spring, according to Deathstroke actor Joe Manganiello.

Speaking to Entertainment Tonight (via Batman-News) at Mohegan Sun’s 20th anniversary party, Manganiello told the outlet he's "just getting ready to go shoot Batman in the spring."

While there's still no specific release date attached to the Ben Affleck-led solo film, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes recently discussed the movie's general timing, saying "it’s a year and a half out." While it was unclear at the time whether or not was speaking to the start of production or its release in theaters, it now looks all the more likely that The Batman will be out sometime in 2018.

For more on The Batman, take a look at all of the DC Comics research Manganiello has been doing for his role as Deathstroke.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Off Topic