E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby Amir » Tue May 17, 2016 2:50 am

SMDZero you have far too much spare time on your hands.

Amir has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Kiske » Tue May 17, 2016 5:39 am

I struggle to get the link between what you wrote and hypotetical Shenmue 3 E3 teaser/trailer.
As if we never saw game trailers at E3 build on CG or eventually downgraded when released.

Anyway, my sense of humor must be broken... but that's not the point of my message.

SMDzero wrote: Shenmue 3 is nearly a full year into development but the game needs A LOT of work so it's not in showable condition now.

Here's a report on the build so far:

In a word, Shenmue 3 is ugly. The models are blocky, and the textures are horrifically muddy. Occasionally, walls burst at the seams, and the clipping is also fairly random. Backing that up is the sort of soundtrack that demands to be silenced. The music is overly repetitive, the sound effects are drab, and the voice work is dull and uninspired.

Even at a semi-bargain price of $19.99, Shenmue 3 isn't worth your time, let alone the money fans poured into it. Even die-hard Shenmue fans will be sorely disappointed with Yu Suzuki's latest offering, so we'll just have to wait and see if the Shenmue series can recover from this near-fatal blow.

I already disagree. If the game comes out with the actual graphic quality, I'll be ok!
It's time to understand that it's not a AAA game and appreciate what YsNet has done so far.
The graphics and artistic direction are exactly what I'm expecting from Shenmue 3.
Everything above that will be the icing on the cake.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Sappharad » Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 pm

SMDzero wrote:This long-running tale of revenge that maintains balance between fetch quests and free battles has been in development hell for around 15 years.

The phrase "Development Hell" only applies to products that were actually in development, per the definition. The Wikipedia on Shenmue makes this mistake too, even though the article LINKS to the definition that doesn't fit. The game has only been in development for a year, technically.

I'm only pointing this out after seeing the mistake on the Wikipedia article a few days ago, and not correcting it myself.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Wed May 18, 2016 4:34 am

Kiske wrote: I struggle to get the link between what you wrote and hypotetical Shenmue 3 E3 teaser/trailer.
As if we never saw game trailers at E3 build on CG or eventually downgraded when released.

Anyway, my sense of humor must be broken... but that's not the point of my message.

I already disagree. If the game comes out with the actual graphic quality, I'll be ok!
It's time to understand that it's not a AAA game and appreciate what YsNet has done so far.
The graphics and artistic direction are exactly what I'm expecting from Shenmue 3.
Everything above that will be the icing on the cake.

Let me highlight a few key points in SMDzero's post for you:

SMDzero wrote:Shenmue 3 is nearly a full year into development but the game needs A LOT of work so it's not in showable condition now.

Here's a report on the build so far:

For a game originally based on a fighting game series, Shenmue has an irregularly deep back-story. This long-running tale of revenge that maintains balance between fetch quests and free battles has been in development hell for around 15 years. While the series has more than its share of detractors, both games in the series have been rather good. Today, however, the Shenmue mythos has lost a great deal of steam. Shenmue 2X wasn't received particularly well, and the series' first "online" entry, Shenmue: Online, wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms, either. Still, you got the impression that the people working on the games genuinely cared about them and took the time to ensure that the storyline maintained most of its continuity. Shenmue 3 contains none of this, resulting in holes in the plot, slapdash level design, and a general sense of "Let's just make sure the game doesn't crash so we can get it on store shelves and earn back at least a little bit of the kickstarter money we spent" on YSnet's part.

Shenmue 3's instruction manual claims that the game strives to fill in some of the blanks about the rivalry between Ryo and Lan Di. But the game really creates more questions than it answers. For instance, if this is supposed to take place after the second Shenmue game, why does Ryo have a gun, which he never had in Shenmue 1 and 2? Possible continuity problems aside, Shenmue 3 is decidedly low on story. The game opens with a '70s kung fu-show-style intro movie, and from there, cinematics of any kind are extremely hard to come by. Between levels, you're given a small bit of story progression via radio transmissions that take place between Ryo and Shenhua. Shenhua stays behind at her house, while you, as Ryo, plod through several locales, beat the pulp out of numerous thugs, struggle to find keys, hit switches, and fight bosses. You're given many of Ryo's standard attacks right off the bat, but executing special moves such as the pit-blow punch and tornado kick use up a portion of your special meter, which is replenished by executing combos. Defeating enemies earns you experience points, and every time you level up, you're given a new combo move. The combos are button-tapping combos, though they require little to no sense of timing at all - just hit the buttons in the proper order, and you'll execute the "git some suka" or "super uppercut" moves with ease. As if having to use a combo called "git some suka" weren't bad enough, Ryo occasionally does a bit of trash talking when you execute a combo. This means you'll get to hear Ryo say "Want some fries with that whoop-ass?" significantly more than you want to. As you progress, the combos become more and more devastating, some of them even ending in fatalities, provided that the enemy's life bar runs out as you're delivering the final hits.

The game is really driven by collecting items. To progress, you'll need to find tons of keys, security passes, and the like. The game is seen from a multitude of seemingly random camera angles, none of which give you a clear-cut view of the action. In fact, the later levels are downright frustrating - almost all your enemies are armed, and they can see (not to mention shoot) you long before you have any idea that they even exist. They rarely miss, so your only options are to run in the direction of the shots until you see the enemies, pull out a weapon of your own, and spray fire in the general direction of the shots or use the game's atrocious first-person mode. If you're armed, you can use first-person mode to more accurately direct your fire, but it's limited in that zooming in with the sniper rifle doesn't affect the draw-in distance. So if an enemy is out of your normal sight, zooming in won't help at all.

In a word, Shenmue 3 is ugly. The models are blocky, and the textures are horrifically muddy. Occasionally, walls burst at the seams, and the clipping is also fairly random. Backing that up is the sort of soundtrack that demands to be silenced. The music is overly repetitive, the sound effects are drab, and the voice work is dull and uninspired.

Even at a semi-bargain price of $19.99, Shenmue 3 isn't worth your time, let alone the money fans poured into it. Even die-hard Shenmue fans will be sorely disappointed with Yu Suzuki's latest offering, so we'll just have to wait and see if the Shenmue series can recover from this near-fatal blow.

In other words: you've been played :lol:
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Wed May 18, 2016 5:12 am

Definitely my broken sense of humor :lol:

I'm very sensitive on the Shenmue matter... Polygon articles and their peers have harmed my tolerance.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Monkei » Wed May 18, 2016 7:47 am

I wouldn't say it's your broken sense of humour.. :P

Monkei has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SMDzero » Wed May 18, 2016 3:26 pm

What's wrong with the review? :blink:
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Amir » Wed May 18, 2016 5:52 pm

SMDzero wrote: What's wrong with the review? :blink:

You mean Jeff Gerstmann's review of Mortal Kombat: Special Forces from 16 years ago? ;)

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mortal- ... 0-2612114/
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 18, 2016 7:35 pm

I feel like we've done a weird meta-joke here, considering Jeff doesn't like Shenmue at all.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Thu May 19, 2016 5:50 am

Jeff's review of Mk Special Forces was only one of a litany of diverse sources from which I derived inspiration for my content formation.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon May 23, 2016 9:08 am

This just popped up on my twitter feed. Could be nothing, but I thought that I'd post it;)

https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/734722558826668032

SheepheadCG has received 4 thanks from: Amir, Giorgio, Spaghetti, Switch
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 23, 2016 9:47 am

SheepheadCG wrote: This just popped up on my twitter feed. Could be nothing, but I thought that I'd post it;)

https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/734722558826668032

Seems just a social visit, though they could have had a meeting with Yu earlier on the trip.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby alexh86 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:34 am

I'm now thinking we may see something related to Shenmue III at E3. It seems too coincidental that two guys who will be presenting at Sony's show, including the guy who introduced Suzuki-san in 2015, are meeting with him mere weeks before the event. Of course, it could be a simple progress update but it just seems too coincidental to me.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby Amir » Mon May 23, 2016 11:38 am

alexh86 wrote: I'm now thinking we may see something related to Shenmue III at E3. It seems too coincidental that two guys who will be presenting at Sony's show, including the guy who introduced Suzuki-san in 2015, are meeting with him mere weeks before the event. Of course, it could be a simple progress update but it just seems too coincidental to me.

They had a visit before PSX last year and nothing came of that, I'm inclined to believe it was just a progress update.

Amir has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Mon May 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Hey guys... it's getting near the end of the month. It's almost Kickstarter update time again. :D

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III