Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue - A Game Ahead Of Its Time

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue - A Game Ahead Of Its Time

Postby masterchan777 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:34 am

Eurogamer's Digital Foundry Retro revisits Shenmue and discusses its technical achievements, what made it so special and what's the best way to play the game today ...

phpBB [video]

masterchan777 has received 6 thanks from: Esppiral, Giorgio, johnvivant, Kiske, Mr357, Sonoshee
masterchan777
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue - A Game Ahead Of Its Tim

Postby Esppiral » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:55 am

They have used my render for the splash screen! \:D/

I'll watch it later.

Esppiral has received 5 thanks from: Kiske, masterchan777, Mr357, Sonoshee, Yokosuka
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:34 pm

As shenmue fan I find the video boring. Many well known background information but only a few seconds about the performance part of shenmue 1. :(
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby johnvivant » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:56 pm

good exposure for the series, and yeah, they would have got a lot better info if they had done a bit more research and checked these forums, like fixing the bording clipping and using demul. this comes right before e3 as well, which will keep the game in people minds if there is some kind of appearance. nice.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: masterchan777
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Really good video. Waiting eagerly for the second video about Shenmue II. Glad it'll reach more people on its way of popularization.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: masterchan777
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:20 pm

Esppiral wrote: They have used my render for the splash screen! \:D/

I'll watch it later.

Not sure they're aware of it lol.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:49 pm

masterchan777 wrote: Eurogamer's Digital Foundry Retro revisits Shenmue and discusses its technical achievements, what made it so special and what's the best way to play the game today ...

phpBB [video]

I couldn't help but pull a :-s face when the dude said, "It may not have completely lived up to expectations." There was simply nothing like Shenmue before this point - the video's title even supports this - so how anyone could possibly have expectations for a game, and even genre, the likes of which had never been seen before, I simply cannot understand. Not to mention the fact that Shenmue is the godfather of the open-world genre, so anyone who loves the GTA series has Shenmue to thank for the seeds it planted. Pretty much every person I've ever discussed Shenmue with, every YouTube video I've ever watched about the game, and every person's experience and recollections about the game have always contained at least one form of 'I was completely blown away' or 'I'd never seen or experienced anything like this before'.

If he's referring to the one valid complaint about Shenmue - the pacing issues (which I don't have a single problem with seeing as there's so much to do and take in during those downtime moments) - then fair enough, but I really don't see how that justifies stating that it didn't live up to expectations. Destiny didn't live up to peoples' expectations, and there's no argument there.

Decent video, nonetheless :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue