Phantom Dust HD

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Phantom Dust HD

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:09 am

I know there is a certain someone who will be happy...

Long-dormant action strategy game Phantom Dust will be launching for the Xbox One and PC, it was announced during the YouTube Live stream taking place at E3 2016. The game will be part of Microsoft's Xbox Play Anywhere program, so players can play it on either platform after purchasing it once. This is currently limited to digitally purchased games.

The game will be released for Xbox One and PC in 2017. The game will also have competitive play via the Arena platform on Xbox One.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-o ... 0-6440760/

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Phantom Dust HD

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 am

Hell yeah, that's more like it

phpBB [video]

Here in the UK we never got this and since Xbox was region locked... \:D/
Looking forward to this.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:09 am

Well, lookee there... I might actually get an Xbox One now. This is literally the first time I've ever been inclined to do so. Had no intention whatsoever before.
The game was already astoundingly gorgeous for an original Xbox game, so it'll be nice seeing it in HD.
Gotta laugh at the trailer though. "One of the most beloved franchises on Xbox."
:lol:
Buuuullshit. It's still niche as can be. I don't even know how many comments I got on my video about it, how people only found the video because of the announcement of the remake/revamp however many years back.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Turns out it's not HD but the exact same game with online elements up and running.

phpBB [video]

So we're sticking with the original graphics for the game. Party because the animations are so crucial to gameplay and to upres the graphics means opening old animation files and everything else; so the original resolution and the framerate is exactly what you're going to experience. You know it is a little bit of a wayback-machine kind of experience but the gameplay is so incredible that is what we're focused on bringing back.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby OL » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Well that's... really, really fucking lazy. At the very least they could treat it like a backwards compatible emulation kind of deal, like what PS4 is doing with PS2 games. Those things look great, and they're just using basic PC-style emulation to make them look a little prettier. She goes on about retaining the animation and whatnot, but upscaling the resolution of a game doesn't fuck with the animations. That's the dumbest excuse she could give for keeping the game in the original 480p. It's just an excuse to put as little money and thought into this as possible.
So yeah, nevermind I guess. No reason to get an Xbox One anymore. Microsoft is proving how little they give a shit about actually getting this whole newfangled "videogame thing" right (at the very least in comparison to the stuff Sony is doing).

Also have to say, total lol at this spokeswoman trying to talk about the game like she's intimately familiar with it. She blames the game's lack of exposure in the west on Majesco not making enough copies (which is silly; it isn't particularly rare by any stretch), rather than on Microsoft themselves for passing up publishing duties. She says it all like Microsoft isn't to blame at all.
Then she goes on about how "no one has ever built a perfect arsenal in the thirteen years the game has been available," like it's some kind of mythic, sought-after thing.
That's just... dumb. There's no such thing as a perfect arsenal. That's not how the game works.
Everything she says just reeks of pre-planned marketing bullshit. Hate listening to people like that talk.

OL has received a thanks from: south carmain
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:44 pm

I guess their target audience are people who have never played video games in their life to come up with bullshit like that.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:14 am

Mixed feelings on this. Yay it's still coming but what a cheap arse job ms are doing on it.

The leaked footage of the real HD remake looked fine.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:12 am

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III