Yakuza series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Yakuza series

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:01 pm

GYO6161 wrote: All the responses here made me try it out!

I just beated the First one cuz my friend had it and he let me have it, really loved it, sadly it seems like Yakuza 2 is expensive as hell... :(

I'll absolutely lend it out to you if you want, just as long as you promise to send it back; and that you beat it relatively quickly, not in 3 years lol.

If you're down, HMU.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Nice Y0 trailer, at least I know that game I can jump right into with out even needing to play 5. Y0 is a cool little game considering it takes you back many years in the lives of Kazuma and Majima, it could be one of the best yet if its done right, those 2 in thier hey day? I think we can look forward to a very awesome game in this one, thats what my gut is telling me.

Fantastic title, I still put it behind 5 and 3 though and ahead of Ishin!; of the games released on the PS4 as well as PS3, it is far and away the best.

Monkei wrote: Too bad SEGA is so slow with localizing these. Zero in early 2017, meaning Kiwami in 2018 at the very earliest? And 6 in 2019? Possibly both even later?

Kiwami won't make it over, bank on it. Only after demand (In Japan only), are they thinking about releasing the soundtrack, because they didn't even make THAT available lol.

Anyways, I'm not bagging on anyone (honestly am not) and to each their own (in terms of how they would like to play), but you two (AG and Monkei) are SERIOUSLY missing out by not getting these games before they are localised:

I played the first 4 in a span of 2 months or so in 2012 and I was seriously, HEAVILY hooked; only Shenmue had me more hooked on a series in my life. I was so hooked, that I immediately went out and pre-ordered 5, knowing fully that I'd be missing out on a lot with the language barrier. After a quick run through Dead Souls, I have pre-ordered every title, played Kenzan! and got both Kurohyos, all without knowing a lick of Japanese; you don't need to have this series in English, to know what's going on, especially with all of the fansites/help/message boards that exist.

TL;DR: Buy the games in Japanese, you will have an amazing time.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:24 pm

I prefer a more slow progression through the series, I wouldnt want to play them all in succession like that, but thats me with any game series that has a chronology like this. I started playing Yakuza 1 and 2 around the time Y3 came out here and I only just finished through Y3 this past year. I personally dont see any reason to play these in japanese although i imagine they arent a translation nightmare like other Japanese games might be trying to play them raw, but I can definitely wait for the localized versions, especially since they keep the japanese audio anyway I see little point in playing the raw japanese version.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:01 am

I've had no enjoyment playing the Japanese demos of these games. It's far too text heavy for me..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:52 pm

Yeah, I've never really understood the recommendation of importing them first. They're so story and situation-based (whether it's the main scenario or the side-quests) that a removal of that element neuters the whole thing. Sure, there's some fun to be had just beating people up or playing minigames, but without context for it, there's really not much point.
Some games are incredibly import-friendly (such as scrolling shooters, or any other game that's more about the gameplay than anything else), but I certainly would never include the Yakuza series in that category.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:56 pm

So I am hearing that Limited Run Games may be doing a physical release of Yakuza 5, and are in talks with Sega about it. I will absolutely buy that seeing as its either that or buy a new hard drive for my PS3 just for that single game. Here's hoping its true.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:25 am

Nice for those who want physical games, but wouldn't the installation size remain the same?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:08 am

No idea, but its the whole needing double space from downloading off PSN then installing which is screwing me up, if I can just install from the disc im fine, assuming it will install 22 gigs from the disc of course. Either way, I would much prefer a physical version of Y5.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:54 am

Got a few friends to try the series. They really enjoyed the atmosphere and fights. Hopefully i can convince them to buy zero when released
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon May 30, 2016 1:03 am

I'm still making my way through Yakuza 5, and the justification for a pair of rooftop fights in the Finale is the most absurd thing ever. :lol:

"Our enemy has lured us up here to battle each other and won't show himself until we do, so let's all fight to the death and the sole survivor will get to find out who made us do this."

Kazuma has experience of pro wrestling, for starters...
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon May 30, 2016 3:57 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I'm still making my way through Yakuza 5, and the justification for a pair of rooftop fights in the Finale is the most absurd thing ever. :lol:

"Our enemy has lured us up here to battle each other and won't show himself until we do, so let's all fight to the death and the sole survivor will get to find out who made us do this."

Kazuma has experience of pro wrestling, for starters...

No better than 4, IMO:

"Let's put money up there and not tell anyone, so that the, "players," involved will all show their faces and then we'll know who we're dealing with!"

Same thing, but this was the final point of the game, making it even more crappy.

At least 5 was a chapter before the end ;)... But I agree, Yokoyama has some brilliant ideas sometimes and some terrible ideas at others.

Just started playing 3 again; I love this game to pieces.
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon May 30, 2016 4:29 pm

I didn't mind that logic in 4. It was different enough there to make sense to me.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Monkei » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 am

phpBB [video]

Monkei has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Truck_1_0_1_
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

phpBB [video]

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Truck_1_0_1_
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Monkei wrote:
phpBB [video]

Excellent :D

You guys will love it, but watch out for Insect Queen and Slot racing; will have you pulling your hair out.
Truck_1_0_1_

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:15 pm

phpBB [video]

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan