Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:46 pm

So this is obviously PT...

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding

Postby OL » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:42 pm

Man, I love ridiculously apocalyptic imagery like that. Trailer told us next to nothing, but it's a cool tease. Creepy as hell and absolutely bleak. Love that kind of stuff.
I feel like Norman Reedus is weirdly overrated among the "dork" crowd though. I still don't really understand what the appeal is outside of the fact that he happens to be on sort of a dorky tv show.
But whatever. Interested to hear more on the game.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:52 am

The only part of the E3 conference I gave a crap about. Looked good. The sort of game I wanted to see out of Kojima for a while. Wonder if it will be first or third person?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:01 am

I can't imagine they'll pay for Norman Reedus and make it first person.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:12 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Wonder if it will be first or third person?

Kojima made a comment a little while back, something about how his next game was going to appeal to the Uncharted crowd or something. So I'd guess at third-person.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:54 pm

In an interview with IGN at this year’s E3, Hideo Kojima revealed the first details about his new studio’s upcoming debut game, Death Stranding.

According to Kojima, Death Stranding will be recognizable as an action game to players familiar with the genre, but that he hopes to do something new with it.

“Metal Gear was an action game,” Kojima tells IGN, “but it was an action game where you happened to be hiding. There was no genre for that back then, and now it’s classified as a stealth game. In that regard, Death Stranding will also be an action game, but I want to make something new, something different.”

Kojima has said before that Kojima Productions’ upcoming project, revealed on Monday during Sony’s E3 2016 press conference, will appeal to fans of “AAA titles such as The Division and Uncharted.”

“People that play [action] games will be able to pick it up easily,” Kojima tells IGN. “After that, like 2-3 hours into the game, they will start feeling like, ‘okay, this is something different, this is something new.’”

While Kojima didn’t dive too deeply into what this means for Death Stranding’s gameplay, he did reveal some details about the game’s themes.

One of the key things evident from Death Stranding’s E3 2016 reveal trailer is “the idea of life and death being connected to each other,” according to Kojima.

“Animals are connected with each other, people are connected to each other, so many things are connected,” Kojima tells IGN.

But it’s a short story by Kobo Abe that Kojima points to as a way to explain one of Death Stranding’s strongest themes.

“In this short story, Abe states that the first tool mankind created is a stick,” Kojima tells IGN. “He states that the stick is the first tool that mankind created to put distance between himself and bad things — to protect himself. He states that the second tool mankind created is a rope. A rope is a tool used to secure things that are important to you.”

Kojima points to the umbilical cord in the trailer, and the rope-like “umbilical cords” hanging from the actual title of the game.

“Most of your tools in action games are sticks,” Kojima continues. “You punch or you shoot or you kick. The communication is always through these ‘sticks.’ In [Death Stranding], I want people to be connected not through sticks, but through what would be the equivalent of ropes… But of course you will be able to use the sticks too.”

How this idea manifests in-game remains to be seen, but Kojima says there are other “small things and small messages” hidden in the Death Stranding trailer.

Think that sort of answers your question Henry.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:01 pm

That's pretty deep. I still lament the fact that we won't get a silent hill or even a horror game from him at least not yet.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:20 pm

I was hoping that he would go back to creating story heavy cyberpunk exploration games. A games like snatcher or policenauts in today's graphics would be amazing for me.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:27 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: That's pretty deep. I still lament the fact that we won't get a silent hill or even a horror game from him at least not yet.

Wasn't he worried about having constant nightmares? Judging by some of the stuff in the MGS games that aren't even classed as horror, I can't say I'd blame him.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

death stranding

Postby patq2 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:33 pm

I watched the death stranding video 1000 times before I noticed the name wasn't death standing
patq2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: death stranding

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:22 pm

I hear Kojima did the same.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Interesting "conspiracy theory" video on Kojima's Konami departure and Death Stranding/PT.

phpBB [video]

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: OL
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:26 pm

^^That's actually an interesting idea. I went into the video thinking it'd be a bunch of really inane fan-theory bullshit, but the points about the radio messages in PT, especially, are pretty convincing.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:20 am

New trailer.

phpBB [video]

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Reedus, Del Toro and now Mikkelsen... Wow, the production values must be through the roof! I really didn't expect this, but this game might even outshine the MGS series. No kidding that Kojima's trying to attain Hollywood's level of ambition. And damn cryptic and creepy trailer again!

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Monkei
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming