Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Monkei » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:14 am

Sonikku wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: And here we go with Sonikku's conspiracy theories of Ryo being a sex changed time traveler...

Yakuza 4 CONFIRMS it!

Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Nintendo Believed the Wii U Would Sell 100 Million Units

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/games/ninte ... lion-units

Given that the Nintendo Wii was a cultural revolution with mass appeal that would eventually lead to the system selling approximately 101 million units during its retail lifespan, it's understandable that Nintendo was optimistic regarding the Wii U's chance to capitalize off of that success and generate some impressive sales numbers of its own.

However, it appears that some within Nintendo may have had their expectations set a little too high.

At a recent shareholders meeting, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima spoke of an internal sales meeting that preceded the launch of the Wii U during which one Nintendo employee estimated that Nintendo would sell "close to 100 million Wii U systems worldwide" based on the success of the Nintendo Wii.

Interestingly, Kimishima went on to clarify that he did not necessarily share these expectations that the Wii U would be able to match the success of the Wii.

"I was responsible for selling the Wii U, and I knew what was good about it, so I talked with those in charge of sales about the importance of conveying the attractiveness of Wii U to consumers," said Kimishima. "I am guessing that some of this communication may have come across in a negative tone."

How many Wii U's have been sold so far? According to a Nintendo's latest financial reports, as compiled by IGN, that figure is hovering around the 12 million mark. This is in comparison to the Playstation 4's almost 40 million units sales projection and the Xbox One's 20 million units figure.

While Kimishima made it clear that this individual did not necessarily represent the mentality of Nintendo regarding the Wii U's chances of success at that time, it is nonetheless interesting to hear that there were some who felt the Wii's name carried that kind of weight despite the clear differences between the Wii and the Wii U. We'll see if Nintendo takes this lesson to heart as they prepare to make their first announcements regarding the upcoming NX system.

Its funny I guess they thought the Wii name alone was enough for people to look past the high price point, gimmicky touch screen controller which ultimately was the ball and chain for the system. I think they were just high on themselves and made some serious mis calculations, plus and most importantly of all the library was just never there to support those kind of numbers. I really do hope Nintendo returns to form with the NX, the Wii U was a complete disaster and I just want to see some good hardware and innovative gaming ideas with this new console.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:15 am

Really can't see the NX being any different to the U as far as sales go.

Even less so with Scorpio and Neo coming.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:29 am

Holy shit, where the fuck did you pop up from?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:08 am

Thought I would pop back for a bit and see how everyone was. Cut down my forum time and mainly just stick to Unionvgf.com now.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 pm

When a perfectly executed and completed MGSV mission ends in a sandstorm resulting in a Wile Coyote-esque splat death...

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:31 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: When a perfectly executed and completed MGSV mission ends in a sandstorm resulting in a Wile Coyote-esque splat death...

Still less frustrating than jumping down a ledge that you would easily survive in real life and instantly dying because apparently despite being able to absorb bullets if big boss's soles hit the ground a teeny bit too hard then he dies instantly.

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:26 pm

Did You Know Gaming featuring.. OL?

phpBB [video]
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:59 pm

Uh... no, not me. I'd like to think my pronunciation of Japanese names is a little better than that.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:01 pm

it does sound a bit like you though haha
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:09 pm

I guess I wouldn't really hear it, being me and all... weird how personal perception works.

Anyway, I totally just jizzed buckets.
Azure Striker Gunvolt 1 and 2 set to be released on a single cartridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Azure-Striker-Gu ... G50S8R6DBY
The sequel still isn't even out, but the first game represents some of the best time I've spent with the 3DS, and (being Inticreates and all) I expect the same of the followup. Can't wait.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:06 pm

The "Eliminate the Enemy Tanks" mission (8?) in MGSV is fucking intense! Truly awesome game though. There's no way this is done by the same fucking guy that made Snake Eater.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:33 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: The "Eliminate the Enemy Tanks" mission (8?) in MGSV is fucking intense! Truly awesome game though. There's no way this is done by the same fucking guy that made Snake Eater.

Is that "Occupation Forces"? If so, I fucking hated that mission the first time I played it, what with it being so early on compared to my pretty mediocre equipment, but once I managed to upgrade and develop a load of new stuff it was a cake walk. Perfect example of slow-and-stealthy vs. all-guns-blazing as you can simply lie in wait at a single point as the vehicles move through, halting and then fultoning them, or take them out from a distance with lock-on missiles.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:55 am

that was the mission where i jumped off a ledge and died at the end of it forcing me to start again from the very beginning. Fucking hate that mission now.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:18 am

Yeah, that one. And I too fell victim to the ledge thing. Difference is I fuckin loved the mission. Hope there are more "time is of the essence" missions. Lovin the fact that some prisoners actually get executed n'all. This n Blacklist have really pulled me away from the slow stealth approach n pushed me toward the "Panther" style (though still predominantly non-lethal when it can be helped)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming