Pokemon Go

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Pokemon Go

Postby Axm » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:49 pm

Ok here it is.. we all know somebody would make this thread eventually. Guess I'm that guy. Please try and contain your applause. I know you cant get enough wall to wall coverage and meme's on Facebook already.

It's actually still not out in Japan yet. The servers aren't live. I have the US version downloaded to my iPhone but I just get 0 things active on my map. Makes me frustrated. In the land of Pokemon's origin, the game isn't out here yet. Alot of Japanese people are upset about it. Just makes me want to play it even more now. For now I've just been learning about it on YouTube and such. Seems like the game is alot deeper than first appearance.

How's your progress? What changes would you like to see to the game?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: Pokemon Go

Postby south carmain » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:22 am

I wonder how popular it will be when released here in France. I heard that in the US it's pretty insane the amount of people you see playing it in the street.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Thief » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:05 am

I'm absolutely amazed that Pokémon is becoming a world-wide phenomenon AGAIN. Seriously, like what is going on right now? What year is it?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:39 am

Thief wrote:I'm absolutely amazed that Pokémon is becoming a world-wide phenomenon AGAIN. Seriously, like what is going on right now? What year is it?

Did pokemon ever stop being one of the most popular franchises out there?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Axm » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 pm

It really is kind of a rebirth for the series. We have all the older nerds like us getting back into it for nostalgia at the very least, then the kids and then the parents of kids who are learning about it too. And since everyone has a smartphone these days and its free, alot of people can just see what all the fuss is about and get sucked in. (too much sometimes apparently)
I see now something about T-Mobile in America giving away free data for when using Pokemon Go. Talk about competition.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kintor » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:54 am

Thief wrote: I'm absolutely amazed that Pokémon is becoming a world-wide phenomenon AGAIN. Seriously, like what is going on right now? What year is it?

Far be it for me to play contrarian here but I don't see Pokemon GO is as a resurgence for the Pokemon franchise. There are marked differences between the original Pokemon phenomenon of the late 90s and this current enthusiasm for Pokemon GO.

Because the first time around things didn't happen overnight, it took time with multiple games and constant airing of the anime to lay the ground work for Pokemon's rise to power. However, this time that same ground work doesn't exist, it's a typical surge for a popular mobile game more akin to Flappy Bird or Candy Crush then any lasting phenomenon. I expect that Pokemon GO will fizzle out in the coming months and then nobody outside the Nintendo fanbase will ever want to talk about it again.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 am

To be fair though, things took longer in 98 because the internet didn't spread things like wildfire. I just meant in the terms of global pop-culture phenomenon. Everybody was talking about pokemon in 98, and everyone is talking about pokemon now. I'm not really referencing its longevity.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:40 am

Thief wrote: To be fair though, things took longer in 98 because the internet didn't spread things like wildfire. I just meant in the terms of global pop-culture phenomenon. Everybody was talking about pokemon in 98, and everyone is talking about pokemon now. I'm not really referencing its longevity.

Ah I see what you mean; it really does come down to a difference of definition. For me I consider a true global phenomenon to be something long lasting, a game that endures beyond the initial phase of interest. So while many across social media today are talking about Pokemon GO I also notice just as many saying they are sick of hearing about it.

I think that Pokemon GO will ultimately prove to be a flash in the pan, a temporary and fleeting interest for most smartphone users. Pokemon Go will be a footnote in gaming, certainly known for its rapid rise in popularity but also marred by disrupted local communities and a spate of embarrassing accidents caused by the game's hapless users.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonikku » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:25 am

Kids. Hell back in my day if you wanted to catch some Poke'mon you had to pay money and even then you had to do it on a non back lit black and white screen with nothing but beeps and boops for sound! *shakes cane*
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:30 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr357 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Ziming wrote:
phpBB [video]

And then he chose the wrong starter Pokemon.

Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Axm wrote:I see now something about T-Mobile in America giving away free data for when using Pokemon Go.

"Suck it, net neutrality."
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Mr357 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:12 pm

phpBB [video]

Mr357 has received a thanks from: nskachu
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrandyk » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:08 am

What is the appeal of this game? From what I can tell you just walk around and random pokemon show up on your phone. Is there more to this because it does not sound like something built to last.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:50 am

I never understood what the appeal of Pokemon is. I remember when I was at school there was this weird hype around Pokemon cards. I mean like actual paper cards. And kids would let their card Pokemon fight each other and trade those cards or spend shitloads of money on a rare card. It was completely fucked up. And I sometimes saw some "Pokemon kids" get beaten up and their cards stolen by older kids who would then sell those cards to other Pokemon kids for a lot of money.

I just didn't feel like playing black-and-white Game Boy or fuckikng 5-color Game Boy in the early 2000s anymore so I never got into Pokemon. Feels so weird to have Pokemon come back. Could have done without that to be honest. Anyway, I don't play mobile games so if people want to play it, fine by me. Just hope the hype doesn't get to the point were you can't ignore Pokemon in public.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming