WTF is this footage from(Shenhua fighting off street thugs)?

(Chapters 3-6)

WTF is this footage from(Shenhua fighting off street thugs)?

Postby Zoltor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:54 am

Like 5 years ago someone made a Shenmue retrospective series of videos on Youtube.

Now I have watched these in the past, but I cought a glimse of something, that not only doesn't fit into any of the known cannon Shenmue stuff, but due to the art, clearly being DC, doesn't fit into any of the spin-offs or the canceled Virtua Fighter RPG.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe this footage is concrete proof, that at some point Shenmue 3 was in production, and that this was leaked footage from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfvFaM92zos

It happens within the 1st 31 second, pay close attention, because It's not even on screen for 1 full second.

Does anyone know where this is actually from(I don't recall ever hearing about actual entire cutscenes that weren't used, being on the Shenmue 2 discs, so I was very shocked when I saw that, as no concrete proof has ever come to light, that Shenmue 3 really was in production(all we have, is Sega employees statements, that claim at one point, Shenmue 3 was being worked on. However that's not much to go on, as at the time, they could've really been referring to the Shenmue MMO, for all we know)?
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: WTF is this footage from(Shenhua fighting off street thu

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 am

Now that you're back I imagine you'll want to answer people's questions about your last thread before getting too bogged down in a new one:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49162

Let's Get Sweaty has received 5 thanks from: GYO6161, Himuro, HλLF-LIFE, iyapol, Raithos
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Zoltor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:48 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Now that you're back I imagine you'll want to answer people's questions about your last thread before getting too bogged down in a new one:

http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49162

What, the shrine visitors? That's gonna be easy to reproduce(I'm actually super shocked, people haven't stumbled across that yet), It's just going to require a lot of waiting, as it seems to be tied into the real world date system, similar to how the weather system works, and it is fairly rare, so yea, a lot of waiting is going to be required for me to take pictures of such.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:37 am

during the early prototype phase when the game was still in production for the sega saturn (circa 1996) they actually created pre rendered CG cutscenes for all the major events in the game (all 11 chapters). what you are seeing here is a part of one of those scenes that was either cut from the final game or intended for a future chapter. it seems likely that the scene with lan di and Shenhua in the temple and shenhua using force push on those martial arts guys is a future event. however Yu suzuki confirmed that the scene of Ryo jumping onto a moving train has been cut from the final game, but he said that he may rearrange certain events allowing for the possibility of including it later.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Zoltor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:45 am

johnvivant wrote: during the early prototype phase when the game was still in production for the sega saturn (circa 1996) they actually created pre rendered CG cutscenes for all the major events in the game (all 11 chapters). what you are seeing here is a part of one of those scenes that was either cut from the final game or intended for a future chapter. it seems likely that the scene with lan di and Shenhua in the temple and shenhua using force push on those martial arts guys is a future event. however Yu suzuki confirmed that the scene of Ryo jumping onto a moving train has been cut from the final game, but he said that he may rearrange certain events allowing for the possibility of including it later.

I heard rumors for years now, that the entire series is technically done as far as story goes(however that just implies script, and even story boarding), but I have never found actual cutscenes of events past Shenmue 2 in the story before. So this is this is actually part of such then huh, wow awesome, thanks :)

I never knew actual cutscenes were made for it, and somehow leaked outside of Sega, that's so awesome, thanks again.

Knowing what I know of the story, this is definitely something we would expect from Shenmue 3, I wonder if Yu changed his plans for the story, since when he made those cutscenes, It's going to be interesting to see how the new Shenmue 3 matches all the info we know about his original vision. The whole added character relationship communication system was something that was planned to be in Shenmue 3 from the beginning(yet another system way ahead of its time), which has been confirmed to be in the new Shenmue 3 for instance, so yea :)
Last edited by Zoltor on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SMDzero » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:54 am

I'm almost positive that SPOILERS
Shenhua will do that force-pushy thing in Shenmue 3
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Zoltor wrote: Like 5 years ago someone made a Shenmue retrospective series of videos on Youtube.

Now I have watched these in the past, but I cought a glimse of something, that not only doesn't fit into any of the known cannon Shenmue stuff, but due to the art, clearly being DC, doesn't fit into any of the spin-offs or the canceled Virtua Fighter RPG.

The only thing I can think of, is maybe this footage is concrete proof, that at some point Shenmue 3 was in production, and that this was leaked footage from that.

It happens within the 1st 31 second, pay close attention, because It's not even on screen for 1 full second.

Does anyone know where this is actually from(I don't recall ever hearing about actual entire cutscenes that weren't used, being on the Shenmue 2 discs, so I was very shocked when I saw that, as no concrete proof has ever come to light, that Shenmue 3 really was in production(all we have, is Sega employees statements, that claim at one point, Shenmue 3 was being worked on. However that's not much to go on, as at the time, they could've really been referring to the Shenmue MMO, for all we know)?

Shenhua's Force Move?
That was shown in the Project Berkley CG trailer video so yeah it was prob planned for a future story element or left out of the series after revisions to the story possibly. We won't really know until the games have been completed. But since it was a CG trailer, I doubt it was anything in game.
Trailer:
phpBB [video]
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Now that you're back I imagine you'll want to answer people's questions about your last thread before getting too bogged down in a new one:

What, the shrine visitors? That's gonna be easy to reproduce(I'm actually super shocked, people haven't stumbled across that yet), It's just going to require a lot of waiting, as it seems to be tied into the real world date system, similar to how the weather system works, and it is fairly rare, so yea, a lot of waiting is going to be required for me to take pictures of such.

I think people are more concerned about the street fights with the thugs that nobody else around here has ever seemed to encounter, as opposed to the shrine visitors.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Zoltor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:13 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

I think people are more concerned about the street fights with the thugs that nobody else around here has ever seemed to encounter, as opposed to the shrine visitors.

Oh ok, that may or may not be hard to reproduce, depending if it requires a special trigger to unlock(I'm hoping It's just talk to them a couple times).

I really hope I can get that to happen again, because it was so awesome, and gives people a whole new way to play/go about mastering moves.

I was playing through Shenmue 2, but I've been thinking about replaying 1 again, so I'll definitely be trying to get that to happen.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:03 am

Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Oh ok, that may or may not be hard to reproduce, depending if it requires a special trigger to unlock(I'm hoping It's just talk to them a couple times).

I really hope I can get that to happen again, because it was so awesome, and gives people a whole new way to play/go about mastering moves.

I was playing through Shenmue 2, but I've been thinking about replaying 1 again, so I'll definitely be trying to get that to happen.

Here we go again.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:13 am

shengoro86 wrote:
Zoltor wrote: Like 5 years ago someone made a Shenmue retrospective series of videos on Youtube.

Shenhua's Force Move?
That was shown in the Project Berkley CG trailer video so yeah it was prob planned for a future story element or left out of the series after revisions to the story possibly. We won't really know until the games have been completed. But since it was a CG trailer, I doubt it was anything in game.
Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Over the years i became obsessed with that video, like, unhealthy levels. Its the video that to this day, fires my imagination so much, and why I went down the dark road of theorizing all those years ago.

I segmented each scene of that video, and uplpaded them to my own personal YT channel. Whilst we can now deduce what parts became Kowloon in Shenmue 2 etc, that specific scene around the 30 second mark where the camera pans between 2 tortoise sculptures on pillars to a stone Buddha face which magically lights up is again, still to this day, my favourite Shenmue scene of all time. I have so many theories on it, the first being that it's some sort of temple which reacts to when the 2 mirrors are combined. Is that where the Chiyou Dragon gets magically summoned from? Is that where actual physical treasure of the Quing Dynasty is located?

I have thought about that one shot so much over 15 years that next month, I will be showing Yu Suzuki that one clip and asking, "Do you remember this scene?", and if so, "will we see it in a future Shenmue, unlike the train shot?". I don't care if he thinks it's a bizarre question.

I have to ask. I need to know!

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, shengoro86
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:59 am

Peter wrote:
shengoro86 wrote:

Shenhua's Force Move?
Trailer:
phpBB [video]

Over the years i became obsessed with that video, like, unhealthy levels. Its the video that to this day, fires my imagination so much, and why I went down the dark road of theorizing all those years ago.

I segmented each scene of that video, and uplpaded them to my own personal YT channel. Whilst we can now deduce what parts became Kowloon in Shenmue 2 etc, that specific scene around the 30 second mark where the camera pans between 2 tortoise sculptures on pillars to a stone Buddha face which magically lights up is again, still to this day, my favourite Shenmue scene of all time. I have so many theories on it, the first being that it's some sort of temple which reacts to when the 2 mirrors are combined. Is that where the Chiyou Dragon gets magically summoned from? Is that where actual physical treasure of the Quing Dynasty is located?

I have thought about that one shot so much over 15 years that next month, I will be showing Yu Suzuki that one clip and asking, "Do you remember this scene?", and if so, "will we see it in a future Shenmue, unlike the train shot?". I don't care if he thinks it's a bizarre question.

I have to ask. I need to know!

Dude totally! That shrine or statue or w/e it is is such a big mystery. I always pictured it as a tomb of some sort but obviously without the remainder of the games we will never know!
However, if Suzuki does give us info in a future interview than that would be super awesome and thank you!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah, it looks so intriguing. Unbelievable. But the surroundings kind of look like a Guilin-ish Guangxi Province carst mountain landscape, so it might be in S3, who knows? It might also be at a later point of the story.

If it is still part of the story, that is. Let's not forget the video is almost 20 years old, so it might have gotten cut or changed, just like the train ride part.

Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:31 pm

There are so many aspects of interest though. The flames, the mystical light, is that someone standing in the mouth? What mechanics causes the symbols to part? What's with the bridge that rises up at the bottom of the screen? There's no way that scene will be cut. It looks far too important.

If Yu has cut it, well he will be receiving a brogue kick to the throat and drop toe holded.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Zoltor » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 pm

Peter wrote: There are so many aspects of interest though. The flames, the mystical light, is that someone standing in the mouth? What mechanics causes the symbols to part? What's with the bridge that rises up at the bottom of the screen? There's no way that scene will be cut. It looks far too important.

If Yu has cut it, well he will be receiving a brogue kick to the throat and drop toe holded.

Yea, I don't see these things being cut.

However I imagines some of this not being part of Shenmue 3, but actually Shenmue 4.

Either at the end of Shenmue 3 or the beginning of Shenmue 4, I bet you, Lan Di is going to get ahold of the Pheonix Mirror, and Shenmue 4 is thus going to involve chasing Lan Di down, hoping to stop him before It's too late.

That scene with the stone face, and the mouth opening, implies Ryo got there a few seconds too late, so I think that scene, will be near the ending of Shenmue 4.

In anycase though, yea, all that's way, way, way to important to be something that could possibly be cut.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue II