Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Postby OL » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:12 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/disney-ord ... 10690.html
Star Wars stand-alone movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will undergo several weeks’ worth of additional shooting, sources have confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.
The move is happening after execs screened the film and felt it was tonally off with what a “classic” Star Wars movie should feel like.

Total facepalm.
Y'know, I'm not even all that invested in Star Wars as a franchise, but this still strikes me as just about the dumbest thing in the world.
The main problem with The Force Awakens was exactly that it did match a little too closely the "feel" of a classic Star Wars movie. And by "feel," I mean it ripped off A New Hope beat for beat.
Here we had Rogue One, a movie that looked like a genuinely fresh take on the franchise, doing something different with the material (which seemed like the whole point)... and execs are unhappy, because it's doing something different with the material. :lol:
Not a great sign.

OL has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Sonikku
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:43 pm

Meh. I remember when Disney bought Star Wars everyone was hailing it as the best Star Wars news in years. But Disney is just a profit machine. They see the medium of film making as nothing more than a mechanism for generating ever greater wealth. They care nothing about innovation, constantly looking to the past for ways to squeeze more money out of ancient properties while doing their damnest to extend copyrights beyond what the laws consider typical. This is a studio used to playing it safe and resting on its laurels instead of pushing the medium to its limits.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Would love to have seen the original cut the director gave to the executives, as its probably the true version of the film, and the one I would enjoy the most. Anyone else think this goes a little further than it not being merely "classic starwars" but and/or not "classic disney" or some new version of "classic starwars" according to disney? Disney can be a love/hate relationship in regard to starwars...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:27 pm

They mention in the article that it came off very much like a war movie. So I think the big thing is, after Batman v. Superman got so much flak for being unhappy and generally devoid of jokes or quippiness, Disney are worried about getting the same kind of response with a Star Wars flick. It says the reshoots are going to lighten it up, so I can only imagine it's one big, dumb panic that people are going to hate anything that takes itself seriously.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Frell this boll yotz. I was hoping for Rogue One to be just like Force 10 From Navarone (which was the original Han Solo adventure movie), that is, a great war movie!

They should release a Director's Cut called Rogue 1 From Alderaan.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:51 am

Just cause Force Awakens ripped off certain story aspects of ANH doesn't mean it was "tonally similar" to the original trilogy or even the prequel trilogy. It felt more like Abrams Star Wars fan fiction instead of an official entry for a variety of different reasons (namely the absence of Lucas).

That being said, Rouge One is not an official entry in the main series. Therefore I can actually accept it being a different take on the mythos from that basis alone. It sounds nice that execs think they want to make it more like the OT to fit in (no matter how pessimistic your viewpoint is on that) but here's the thing...they will NEVER EVER EVER EVER make it like the original OT unless they go back to using ALL the original film equipment and techniques used to make the OT back in the late '70s - early '80s.

That's the very basis for the "feel" of the OT in the first place, the technology that was used at the time. Otherwise it's just a painfully hollow imitation of those "really old movies" (Spiderman ftw).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:44 am

Here is the justification of the reshoots from that article "The goal of the reshoots will be to lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure." I dont think they mean classic as in the original trilogy time period, but certain aspects of the Ep 1-7 (the main film entries) that make the franchise what it is thats always been there.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:06 am

Sonikku wrote: Meh. I remember when Disney bought Star Wars everyone was hailing it as the best Star Wars news in years. But Disney is just a profit machine. They see the medium of film making as nothing more than a mechanism for generating ever greater wealth. They care nothing about innovation, constantly looking to the past for ways to squeeze more money out of ancient properties while doing their damnest to extend copyrights beyond what the laws consider typical. This is a studio used to playing it safe and resting on its laurels instead of pushing the medium to its limits.

Word. And the internet at large proclaims them as this amazing media studio that can do no wrong? They suck, I'm sorry. It's fine if you enjoy mediocrity and fanservice, I guess. But for the rest of us? Meh.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby redline » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:47 am

is rogue one apart of a trilogy or just a one off, star wars film?
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:31 pm

It's a stand alone star wars story. Rumor is a Han Solo movie is next which is kind of lame. If we're getting into the territory of stand alone star wars flicks I think we need a Darth Sidious movie or Darth Vader movie, something told from the point of view of the Sith.

Frame the rebels as terrorists disrupting the peace from Vader's point of view. Have him return order to the chaos as he sees it in the only way he knows how. Give us a plot line where the line between good and evil, freedom fighting and terrorism begins to become blurred and that would make for a far better flick than Han Solo Origins. Don't get me wrong, love the character. But his character is best not even having a fleshed out origin.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:22 pm

Nah, they'll never get to the point of moral ambiguity between the two sides. "Good vs. Bad" is way more marketable than "Suppression of Freedoms For a Good Cause vs. Terrorism-If-You-Really-Think-About-It For a Good Cause."
It's a little harder to justify printing childrens' bedsheets of terrorists.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Shouldn't be any harder than justifying the printing of childrens' bedsheets with brutal totalitarian mass killing military strike forces.

"These First Order guys killed billions of people?! Hell YEAH put them on my kid's bed sheets!"

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: myshtuff, OL
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:29 am

Sonikku wrote: It's a stand alone star wars story. Rumor is a Han Solo movie is next which is kind of lame

It's not a rumour, the "young Han Solo" movie was officially announced about a year ago. They cast Alden Ehrenreich (who was pretty great in Hail Caesar) for the leading role.

*Just trying to be a smartass here
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby redline » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:56 pm

"R2-D2 Actor Kenny Baker Dies at 81"
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:29 am