Tokyo Game Show 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Tokyo Game Show 2016

Postby Switch » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:12 am

I thought I'd start a topic for the Tokyo Game Show which is being held next week. Anyone anticipating an update regarding Shenmue III at the event?

I'm in the camp of thinking it will most likely pass under the radar this year, given that the team is hard at work in the middle of development and already providing solid monthly updates.

Also you may have seen that Sega has recently announced their TGS merchandise, a couple of items of which are Shenmue-related: a Shenmue badge (200 yen, for sale from capsule machines at the Sega merchandise stand) and... too bad it's not a T-shirt this year, but a packet of marshmallows (!), one of which features Ryo's mug on it (800 yen).

I've written a bit about them in these blog posts:
TGS 2016 & Shenmue Merchandise
Sega TGS 2016 Merchandise: the Ryo Marshmallow

Edit: updated badge to 2016 version - Sega logo this year.
Last edited by Switch on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Switch has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, Mr357
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Tokyo Game Show 2016

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:46 am

I think they won't anything at TGS, they are working hard and sure don't have an advanced teaser trailer to show.

Anyway, I'd like they to add PC version to the slacker backer campaign and announce it at TGS, it's about time!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Monkei » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:32 am

Not expecting anything from YS Net. Team is hard at work, it's still too early in development, Shenmue isn't big in Japan at all - no good reason for Grandmaster Yu to waste ressources on this.

Not really expecting anything from SEGA either. They mentioned upcoming announcments, but September doesn't really qualify as "towards the end of the year" yet.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:02 am

Monkei wrote: Not expecting anything from YS Net. Team is hard at work, it's still too early in development, Shenmue isn't big in Japan at all - no good reason for Grandmaster Yu to waste ressources on this.

Not really expecting anything from SEGA either. They mentioned upcoming announcments, but September doesn't really qualify as "towards the end of the year" yet.

Still plenty of work to be done.. save the hype until 2017.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:04 am

One year of development for several connected studios, only one year officially remaining. Not "too early" for me.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Monkei » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:23 am

^ They didn't do that much actual developing during the first year though, did they?

In November 2015, Suzuki visited China to promote the project and research the locations, traditional clothes and martial arts of Guilin. In a presentation at China's Chuapp conference that month, he stated that Shenmue III's story and "composition" were complete and that "baseline research" with Unreal Engine 4 had begun.[44] In late 2015, the team began using Shenmue II characters to run simple battle and conversation tests.[45] In February 2016, Suzuki demonstrated the game's weather effects, lighting, and music at the Monaco Anime Game International Conference.[46]
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:31 am

I don't see such evidence there. Last November is far behind us and we still don't know how much stuff they purposely hid before a key public date.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Monkei » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:40 am

You're free to expect Shenmue III footage at TGS to whatever extent you like of course, who am I to tell you what to think. :p
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 am

I would say not to get your hopes up for any Shenmue at TGS. Its still too soon. But an update at the end of the month always brings possibilities for news.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:21 am

I have no particular expectations for TGS, though I will point out for discussion's sake that it was during last year's event that the Slacker Backer was launched, so Ys Net does recognize it as an important occasion on the industry calendar.

That doesn't guarantee anything though, as this year's E3 demonstrated.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby scarless landi » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:39 am

A smart move would be to present a VERY short teaser trailer. Than announce the PC version with the upgrade option. That would seriously boost the amount of pledges.
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror

Postby KidMarine » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:11 pm

Weren't the LA dinner rewards moved to the same time as some event in LA? I'm guessing that's the next time we'll see something big. I'd be happy to be wrong though.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm expecting the PC version to finally get added to the Slacker Backer website, but that's about it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hanzumon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:20 pm

I think that we will see nothing about Shenmue III unless the next E3 in June 2017 ...
Hanzumon

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: lollipop chainsaw

Postby James Brown » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:46 pm

The photo of the badge you linked at the top Switch is last years version dude - maybe you realized though since you detailed the differences in your blogs :)?

Here's a photo I saw on twitter showing each of the badges you'll have a chance of receiving in a capsule toy -

The Shenmue one is actually a larger badge...and for that reason alone (call me crazy) I have a tad more optimism for something Shenmue related [-o<

Would personally love any of those badges above the Yellow text <3 - but ofc the only one I really need is the Shenmue one :king:

James Brown has received 3 thanks from: SledgeNE, Switch, Yokosuka
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue III