Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Wait a minute...

Fukuhara can come down in the basement with you?!?!?!?!?!

Or is this only in the Japanese version?
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Mr357 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:39 pm

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote: Wait a minute...

Fukuhara can come down in the basement with you?!?!?!?!?!

Or is this only in the Japanese version?

Nope

phpBB [video]
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:29 am

Y U NO link my original upload? \:D/

phpBB [video]

Anyway, of course this is also available in the English version. It's just crazy obscure to get these scenes.
The flashlight thing is easy enough but the other ones... Running around aimlessly for 2 game hours for each scene?
The crazy thing is you cannot just stand around and you cannot lock on to important things. I have no idea why they made it that stupid but when I tried to get those cutscenes back then for the English video this would always prevent him from showing up, like it always resets the "timer".

I dare to say that this these are the most obscure cutscenes in the game. Shenmue has lots of these things, like the drunk QTE or when Ryo's friends visit him but this? Having to just run around the basement like an idiot for 12 minutes? Nobody ever does that.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:13 am

BlueMue wrote:Y U NO link my original upload?

I thought you had uploaded those, but your video didn't show up when I searched.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Have you ever noticed before that the ship at the harbour disappears when you are operating the forklift?

Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Amir » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:53 pm

^ Interesting... Guess it was done to alleviate graphical slowdown when driving the forklift?

Amir has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Amir wrote: ^ Interesting... Guess it was done to alleviate graphical slowdown when driving the forklift?

They did something similar during the 70-man battle and when you're inside Warehouse No. 8, by really turning down the draw distance (to the point of blacking it out completely) and closing the front doors of the warehouse so it wouldn't have to render the exterior, respectively, did they not?

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:50 pm

This is interesting. Everyone has obviously seen it, or rather not seen it but it's seems that it doesn't really get noticed. I never actively did either.

They use a different harbor map when in the forklift so some changes are to be expected. I don't think it is but it could be an oversight that they didn't put the ship in this map. It's more likely that it is for performance though this one ship can't change that much. The short abscenses of the ship are not quite up to the standards of the game, especially since it's so important at the end.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:34 pm

In the 70 man free battle, Ryo's model is swapped for a very low-detail one in order to reduce hardware strain. Similarly, (in Shenmue II, at least) characters' hands switch from high-detail ones with movable fingers to low-detail ones that are one solid piece. I will never unsee any of this stuff.

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:50 pm

Mr357 wrote: In the 70 man free battle, Ryo's model is swapped for a very low-detail one in order to reduce hardware strain. Similarly, (in Shenmue II, at least) characters' hands switch from high-detail ones with movable fingers to low-detail ones that are one solid piece. I will never unsee any of this stuff.

The first image makes complete sense and is actually pretty clever - as well as the workaround for hardware constraints, players are going to be so focused on the fighting and action you'll have to have eyes like a fucking hawk (and possibly the ability to freeze time) to notice Ryo's low polygon model - whereas the second, while it's pretty common knowledge that NPCs outside of cutscenes (with some exceptions) have low poly hands, looks particularly disgusting :lol:
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:32 am

Mr357 wrote: In the 70 man free battle, Ryo's model is swapped for a very low-detail one in order to reduce hardware strain.

And very low AI as well.

The 70-man free battle is the best reason why a full remake would make sense. Imagine what this brawl would have been without the hardware constraints of the time.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby myshtuff » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm in Japan right now for vacation. Last night I went to Lawson's for some food. After I made my purchase I was able to put my hand in a raffle ticket box to win a prize. Didn't win anything, but I was really hoping for a boom box. [-o<

myshtuff has received 5 thanks from: Amir, Himuro, Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, Switch
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Switch » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:27 pm

myshtuff wrote: I'm in Japan right now for vacation. Last night I went to Lawson's for some food. After I made my purchase I was able to put my hand in a raffle ticket box to win a prize. Didn't win anything, but I was really hoping for a boom box. [-o<

Did the shop assistant say anything about the result? 8)

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, myshtuff
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:33 pm

Switch if I had the time and patience I'd ask you to join me so we can retranslate Shenmue 1 and 2. The amount of time it'd take would be tremendous and your Japanese is far better than mine. (I'm only n3).
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Switch » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:18 am

Himuro wrote: Switch if I had the time and patience I'd ask you to join me so we can retranslate Shenmue 1 and 2. The amount of time it'd take would be tremendous and your Japanese is far better than mine. (I'm only n3).

Yeah, in one way it would be nice to see some of those lines cleaned up, but I guess we'd miss that quaint touch they bring to the English versions. (Cool, didn't know you've got n3, are you going for n2 next?)
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue