Root Letter

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Root Letter

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:27 am

phpBB [video]

This looks like a great visual novel game from Japan. It's beautiful to have this kind of game come out in the West too. It's coming to Europe and North America in late October/mid November.

From what I've heard, you basically receive a letter from an old high school friend of yours and that letter is your only clue in solving a 15 year old murder case. Then you go around visiting all your former classmates to find information. People are all in their 30s now and in many different walks of life by now and you have to find out what happened 15 years earlier.

I never heard about this game before but I'm probably gonna get this and see what it's like. I've been wanting to get into this genre for quite some time but have never played any game like that since they're mostly exclusive to the Japanese market. It's great to have this come out in English as well.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Root Letter

Postby Yama » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:55 am

Pre-ordered, definitely have to support more VN's like this coming west. Psycho Pass, Root Letter and Steins Gate 0 all within a few months, definitely a record.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:37 am

Well, I've finished most of the game. There's one ending I haven't achieved yet. Other than that I've seen all the endings and completed all the side quests. I can really say, it definitely is woth the money. Gripping storyline, lovely NPCs, beautiful soundtrack.

That was something new to me. First time I've played something like this. You didn't go wrong with the preorder. I might even get Steins Gate Zero.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:25 pm

I just finished this.

The art was really beautiful; if I ever go back to Japan, I'd like to visit Matsue (not sure why Max didn't seem to know what a Starbucks Coffee shop was though), and there were some really nice music tracks, but I kind of found the story a little underwhelming. The idea and the beginning of the story are intriguing, but I thought a lot of the revelations were anti-climatic.
Ash
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SickOctopus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Bought this last week as the artbook edition was on offer and I've been curious for a while, anyway. I opted for the Vita version as I think visual novels lend themselves really well to handheld format.

Quite looking forward to starting this.
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Return to General Gaming