Nintendo Switch

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Axm » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
Axm wrote: Theirs room for both dedicated handhelds and smartphone games in the market. Enough room to say both can be around and make a profit. The only question is which will make more money faster and be more sustainable. Which is why Nintendo themselves have started making smartphone games aswell. They are being smart and covering their bases unlike Sony and MS which are sleeping on it imo.

I just don't see much point in handheld gaming anymore with mobile phones now being as powerful as they are. Sure the gamer crowd prefer buttons but the majority of games that require them I would rather play on the big screen anyway and the majority of people don't care about touchscreens. I don't see why if Nintendo went third party they couldn't release the likes of Pokemon, Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem on iPhone/iPad. None of the games really require split second button presses which makes playing games like Sonic on your phone so clunky. How cool would it be to also have your phone automatically sync up with your Facebook like so many apps do so you can visit all your friends towns in Animal Crossing without having to use friend codes. Pokemon Go and Miitomo has shown there is great demand for Nintendo games on those devices, even more then on their own systems since virtually everyone has a smart device.

I also just can't see people in 2017 taking this NX out with them in public as it's an extra thing to carry around. Just over 10 years ago you'd occasionally see a kid in a shop on his DS while his parents shopped but now they're all playing on iPhones since parents already have them on them.

Ya but it's just like I said, Nintendo is being smart in developing for smart phones. Nobody can doubt that these days. That's not in question and they should definitely focus in high on it. Not just for the easy profit but as a matter of survival.

I just think the possible attraction in the NX as both a home and portable console will still make the option to take a separate device with you worth while. The console and portable device market still exists and makes a profit. Thus it can still be profitable if the games are there. If the games are shit obviously nobody will buy it.

And we all play our iOS/Android games outside but once you get home you and I both know we would rather play a console game instead. Nintendo is betting on the reverse effect of being able to take that "home console" with you. However the hell it will work. I think it's a smart move and really, the only viable strategy they have these days.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:31 am

Peter has received a thanks from: Raithos
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:46 am

I'm not into console hype nowdays.

But N is always trying to do something different, and I think they may have a good shot with this.

So yeah, I'm actually quite exited to see what they are going to do.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Axm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:28 am

Hope it turns out good. If my Nintendo stock goes up cause of it ill sell and buy the NX with the profit.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:36 am

Gaf has gone absolutely fucking bananas since the tweet. First time it went down since E3 15
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:53 am

I can't wait. Hardware reveals are the best. Me and two co-workers booked a meeting with each other so we could sit in a conf room and watch the reveal lol. Its on the calendar as "Possible VC Equipment Upgrade/Maintenance Planning" :)

edit: Also...

Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 am

SO were can I watch it ?? Nintendo.com is down
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:06 am

phpBB [video]
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:08 am

Fuck. I like it! Day one purchase possibility
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:12 am

Meh, it's a cool concept, but it's me or is just too close to the wiiU concept ?

The main difference is that this is portable and has 2 little controllers ?

It's cool, but nothing groundbreaking. If this one is also underpowered then is again third party hell for nintendo.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:15 am

Honestly, I'm unimpressed by this Nintendo Switch. The trailer does a decent job of showing Nintendo's vision for the console, as some sort of highly versatile console/handheld hybrid. As a matter of practicality however, no word on hardware power or battery life, which will make or break this concept. There's a reason console manufacturers usually have hour long conferences to reveal new hardware, 3 minutes just isn’t enough time for a proper reveal.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 am

It's in that weird territory of portable but not that much portable...

If ipads were a hit, who knows, people are strange.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

NX (Nintendo's New Console)

Postby Axm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:23 am

So far it looks pretty awesome.. but I wanna know now what kind of power its packing. Basically is it more powerful than the Wii U or just equal to it? Does the dock have extra graphical power to help the main unit? I can't imagine the main unit being so powerful by itself as it looks so thin and lightish.
Either way, this looks really interesting and the most important thing is the games so I wonder what the 3rd party launch titles will be.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:25 am

I think we should all be congratulating Switch on his appointment as Nintendo's new product. =D>
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Raithos » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 am

I think this looks very promising. Imagine a full blown Pokemon RPG that you can play at home on your TV, then take on the road with you. I think it has a lot of potential. The fact that Nintendo is no longer going to have to split their development teams between a handheld and a console is key here. Can't wait for the specs. Since this was just an announcement/teaser I expect a full Nintendo Direct soon.

Just saw this, its using a custom Tegra processor. Great sign

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/2 ... do-switch/
Last edited by Raithos on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming