Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby iyapol » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:23 am

Cedric has said we will see something 'next December' (surely, he means this December?) 'if we are ready on time'.

Sounds touch and go for PSX.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:35 am

iyapol wrote: Cedric has said we will see something 'next December' (surely, he means this December?) 'if we are ready on time'.

It's just a quirk of him not being a native English speaker, he said something similar around MAGIC Monaco this year that caused similar confusion.

As for the touch and go aspect, this isn't uncommon for some games. You would be surprised how quickly the running order for even an E3 press conference can switch up even at last minute.

What we should take away is that they have absolutely planned for a showing in December (PSX is still the likely candidate, and Cedric didn't say that they had no plans for it), provided they reached scheduled completion on whatever they have to show.

I have the absolute faith that they have properly planned ahead, and that the "if we are ready on time" is just a caveat to acknowledge that sometimes the resource and time allocation just doesn't work out for one reason or another.

Even if they don't actually make it to PSX, they'd need to register interest with Sony months in advance to have them provisionally slipped into the stage show. I don't think they're flying by the seat of their trousers, but most likely similar to other games that we'll see at PSX, they're probably cutting it fine.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby iyapol » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:41 am

I have been quite open about my disappointment with some of the updates in recent months but, having thought about the development in a bit more detail, I would much rather them show us something worth showing instead of something rushed or incomplete that could, potentially, damage the future of the game.

It would be nice to see something at PSX, seeing as the last major update was Monaco Magic, but, if we don't get anything, I would be more than happy with a picture of Joy in a sexy Santa outfit.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:04 pm

So, did Cedric say anything interesting? I checked his Twitter and there's nothing, not even livestream links.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:21 pm

iyapol wrote: I have been quite open about my disappointment with some of the updates in recent months but, having thought about the development in a bit more detail, I would much rather them show us something worth showing instead of something rushed or incomplete that could, potentially, damage the future of the game.

It would be nice to see something at PSX, seeing as the last major update was Monaco Magic, but, if we don't get anything, I would be more than happy with a picture of Joy in a sexy Santa outfit.

Luckily, it appears the decision to show something next month is entirely theirs. If they're willingly ready to pull the curtain back at last in a big way, they're probably convinced what they've got to show is going to be satisfying.

Rikitatsu wrote: So, did Cedric say anything interesting? I checked his Twitter and there's nothing, not even livestream links.

No idea, but he did give us the forewarning no new info would be revealed so I expect it may just have been a passing mention anyway.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SledgeNE » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:47 am

Time will tell. I hope so much Shenmue-related in December, but my doubt will be bigger and bigger. It's better to be doubt than to be hyped for me. ;-)
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby iyapol » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:47 am

Spaghetti wrote:
iyapol wrote:they're probably convinced what they've got to show is going to be satisfying

Joy in a sexy Santa outfit?

iyapol has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:37 pm

I don't understand why people have been doubting what we have been told by the bosses of the team itself. But for those who are still doubting....

Nick Accordino was a special guest on the 8-4 Play podcast a couple of weeks back. Nick is currently an associste producer for ISD (International Software Department) for Sony Interactive Entertainment America (SIEA).

His job is to take all of the games that come from Europe and Japan, and get them all ready for shipment in the States. They are involved with everything in the game, from transforming it from its original Japanese or European version, to the North American version. He was in Japan for lots of meetings, and also because there is a lot of stuff planned for PSX that needed to taken care of.

An interesting quote he said was, "there are a lot of surprises, particularly Japanese surprises this year for PSX..."

http://traffic.libsyn.com/eightfour/8-4 ... 161028.mp3

Do you guys really need any more hints like ;-)

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Hazuki00, Mr357, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:52 am

iyapol wrote: Cedric has said we will see something 'next December' (surely, he means this December?) 'if we are ready on time'.

I suppose it's the way to not say anything so that he not spoil the surprise.
Last updates in the kickstarter page have been very poor, I think this is the best signal that a big update is coming in december.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:51 am

I think a better description of the last two updates would be that they've been light on game information. There are always going to be dry periods, but while it might feel like a while ago, we got the great Dev Room video only at the end of August. When you think about it, it's not really been too much of a stretch since we had something really "satisfying".

I think they've played it smartly by being restrained with the updates. It's not really in the spirit of "open development" that Kickstarter offers, but if they were putting out game info every couple of months on a public venue like KS then YSnet would have played their hand far too early and wrecked any PR strategy they had in place.

The game submerging is a temporary annoyance that'll make its reappearance a while lot sweeter, I'm sure.

If you'd asked me a couple months ago, I would have said a PSX appearance is 50/50, but now I'm honestly 100% convinced it'll be there. Everything Peter and LanDC have said about the state of completion about the game from what they saw, Cedric's comments, Yu being in LA that month, and even straight up gut feeling tell me that the time for the game to be seen for real is approaching very quickly.

The only mystery for me is what they're going to do with the November update. Playing it cool and not letting on to a surprise, or teasing the fuck out of it to get the fans hyped. Normally I'm not a fan of teases for upcoming events, but if it drops November 30th it'll only be three days until PSX. That's not too torturous and I'm sure we can withstand the wait.
Last edited by Spaghetti on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:45 am

Peter wrote:An interesting quote he said was, "there are a lot of surprises, particularly Japanese surprises this year for PSX..."

http://traffic.libsyn.com/eightfour/8-4 ... 161028.mp3

Do you guys really need any more hints like ;-)

Monster Hunter megaton incoming!!! \:D/
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Spaghetti wrote: I think a better description of the last two updates would be that they've been light on game information. ...

I think they've played it smartly by being restrained with the updates. It's not really in the spirit of "open development" that Kickstarter offers...

That's what I meant, lack of game information in the updates.

Knowing that the last time we saw material from the game was on magic monaco, that's a lot of time (many months) without seeing a simple screenshot. It's about time for them to release something big for the fans.
The developer video it's ok but we couldn't see much more apart from that scene of falling rocks.

At first people thought it would be a more open project but that way the game would have less impact when they release it, so I can understand they don't give much info and screens.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Sappharad » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:47 pm

Peter wrote: I don't understand why people have been doubting what we have been told by the bosses of the team itself. But for those who are still doubting....

An interesting quote he said was, "there are a lot of surprises, particularly Japanese surprises this year for PSX..."

Cedric's recent comments were clearly trying to lower expectations so that nobody gets their hopes up if it's not ready for PSX. Japanese surprises can apply to a lot of games. Yakuza 0, Rez Infinite, and Ni No Kuni 2 were all Japanese games first announced at PSX last year. The Last Guardian comes out 3 days after PSX starts, that's developed by Sony's Japan studio, maybe a Japanese surprise is that they'll sell it early at PSX.

There is plenty of evidence that we'll see Shenmue 3 at PSX, but nothing for the opening keynote is announced ahead of time. It's supposed to be a surprise, and adding doubt helps it to be more surprising if we're worried that it won't be there.

On a related note, it's less than 3 weeks away now. Is anyone else going?

I'm a bit disappointed that Sega won't have a booth this year, but they didn't have one in previous years either so I guess it's no surprise. I'm still looking forward to going, I was pleased with many of the games they announced at PSX last year so it will be nice to see what they have in person this year. E3 felt like there was very little announced while they had several really long gameplay demos, I'm hoping PSX will be more dense when it comes to number of games showed off. This will also be my opportunity to check out the PS4 Pro and HDR TV's, because I haven't felt compelled to buy either yet.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 pm

Sappharad wrote:Cedric's recent comments were clearly trying to lower expectations so that nobody gets their hopes up if it's not ready for PSX. Japanese surprises can apply to a lot of games. Yakuza 0, Rez Infinite, and Ni No Kuni 2 were all Japanese games first announced at PSX last year. The Last Guardian comes out 3 days after PSX starts, that's developed by Sony's Japan studio, maybe a Japanese surprise is that they'll sell it early at PSX.

I'm not sure I agree with it being a de-escalation move.

It was refreshingly honest, but nothing that should lower expectations of a PSX reveal, personally. This is a long time coming, and even if the devs are up against the clock getting something finished, I don't think they're going to casually pass on this opportunity to wake people up on the prospect of a real, tangible Shenmue III.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:07 am

Hey Peter,

I just read your fantastic interview in the Mega Visions issue #1 :king:

I hope you don't mind, since the interview has been officially published, if I quote you for the benefit of our Dojo friends. :)

MEGA VISIONS:
In a podcast with Fauxpop Media, Adam Sipione (one of your fellow Shenmue fans on the trip) mentioned that Yu Suzuki was quite eager to show off some material that hasn't been shown off to the public. Is there anything that you can share with us, and if you can't, can you give us your own reaction to what he showed off?

PETER CAMPBELL:
Unfortunately yes, YSNET and Suzuki-San were kind enough to give us their trust, and show us some unseen Shenmue III material at various points of the day. I am not legally bound to keep what we seen to myself, but being given that trust was an amazing gift, and not something I would breach. But what we were shown...

...Jaw dropping.

I don't mean that in a fanboy manner either. People have no idea what they have been able to achieve, and what's about to drop in the very near future. In my wildest dreams, what I imagined Shenmue III looking like, what we seen was on a totally different level. YSNET have been deliberately quiet since the summer of 2015, and as someone who prefers the less is more approach, I feel fully justified with that after what we were shown. It's insane, and I honestly cannot wait until the fans see it!!

Well dear Peter, we cannot wait to see it indeed!!

Thank you :heart:

You can subscribe to/purchase the Mega Visions issue #1 here:
http://www.megavisionsmag.com/

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: delvec19, Hazuki00, Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III