Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby ys » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:09 am

Himuro wrote:But Yakuza is the same shit every game. Same location, same protagonist with little justification keeping him. Zero overarching plot. How many times can people play Kazuma Kiryu punch someone in the face? That shit was fun ten years ago but now it's the same ol song and has been as far back as 3.

They have added things along the way though. I realized this when I saw someone play the first game recently. It was much more limited in what you could do compared to the third and later games. Not saying worse. Just less to do besides the story.

Himuro wrote:Absolutely. If there's nothing big on this game before or during its two year anniversary I fully expect a lot of backers to ask for refunds. It will be deserved as well.

I'm not worried now but that is one of the reasons why I would later on. There are actually backers who aren't big fans but chose to support the game nonetheless. Those might not have as much patience and faith in the project compared to us and could ask for refunds as you said. So in the end, it would affect us even if people here don't mind if there's a trailer and updates or not.

ys has received a thanks from: Himuro
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yama » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:30 am

The optimism in this thread made even me believe despite flat out being told 'no.' Doesn't change anything though, a lot of these things are approved last minute, for instance TLOU2 was NOT on the list either. Still, no surprise here despite some last minute hope, so I'm not heartbroken. Missing last E-3 and this PSX only means the initial reveal will be both polished and impressive, I'm okay with that. I too want the game to get much needed exposure, but if that's the case save it for E-3 2017. We're getting Shenmue III, a game most of us would have taken in the form of a half baked novel at one time or the other. Relax, it's coming.

Yama has received 4 thanks from: Axm, FlagshipFighter, Let's Get Sweaty, Monkei
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Sappharad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:43 am

Peter wrote:As I've said in multiple posts, along with other backers who sat with the Executive Producers and Yu himself, we were strongly hinted that Shenmue 3 would be shown at PSX, in 2 months. If they changed the plans, then I would suggest sending them an email and letting them know you are wound up.

I am a little disappointed but I am still happy we have the existence of Shenmue 3. You will too, in time.

I'm several pages behind having gotten back from PSX just a few minutes ago, but at least you're not disappointed that you didn't go anymore, right? That would have been a huge mistake for you based on your previous statements.

I tried to hunt down Corsi at the show today to see if he'd tell me anything, didn't find him. I did see Adam Boyes, but that was before the show and he was walking past while waiting in line to get in so I didn't have a chance to talk to him. I did get a full video of the crowd reaction to the Yakuza stuff, which although I captured it in 4K it's blurry and apparently I wasn't pointing my camera at the screen half the time because I was watching it myself. Oops.

I was disappointed too, as it was my #1 reason for going, but I'm glad I had plenty of fallback things to look forward to. Sonic Mania is awesome, there are some neat things about Yakuza 0 that I wasn't expecting like pinch to zoom on the touchpad for the map, and I finally got to see what difference HDR televisions make. (It's almost something that needs a side-by-side, as it looks very nice a photographic quality and although it looks very nice in person seeing one by itself without a side-by-side to a normal TV didn't make me want a new TV.)

If I happen to see Gio tomorrow, I will of course attempt to see if he can say anything at all about this.
Last edited by Sappharad on Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Mr357
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:44 am

Snoopbob2006 wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Snoopbob2006 wrote: There was nothing official to go off right? I understand it's disappointing but at least it's still happening. Pitch forks away everyone. I understand everyone has thoughts that have been building up as the months go by but just remember the game you have been waiting around 15 years for is going to be ours within a couple of years.

There is no excuse. They have taken the money over 70k people and have gained nearly 7 million dollars. Not showing Jack shit for over a year is inexcusable. If the project is having trouble communicate that. While Cedric is telling us December 2017, we still haven't seen anything of note. Zero screens since Ferbruary. No updated model. No direct feed video of Shenhua's house. They think it's okay to release videos made in August of this year with absolutely zero updates on how this game is doing in development. A lot of us gave this game 100 dollars or more. Some gave a fortune. I was fully prepared to give 300 extra dollars to the PayPal if they showed a trailer at PSX. Nope. Pitchforks out.

Yeah I gave as much as I possibly could to the kickstarter and I woke up today (in japan) and felt exactly the same as I did before I went to bed. I understand you are upset but how do you know where they are in development? I understand we could see scenery and maybe some new music but they will most likely want to show us more than than that.. maybe they want to give us something with actual voice acting in it or finished character models.. I would of never thought PSX would have been the breaking point for shenmue fans..

It's the breaking point for me because it was virtually the last shred of hope we had for any tangible update before the end of this year. Cedric literally said they can't say or show anything major before December 2017. Common sense pointed to PSX as being the time and place for such a reveal. Instead, it's nearly the day after PSX and nothing happened. So far this year we've gotten maybe five screen shots, and an off camera video of a walkthrough of the game that hasn't been pubicly released to nearly 70k backers. Development notes from updates have been mostly shallow. The status of the game is unknown - the last update was reportedly recorded in August of this year, which is worrying because it shows they are recording updates months in advance without any hint about the games development status and this being a Kickstarter - not a regularly produced game, this draws concern.

If they had given us anything to chew on through the year: voice over clips, a new model of Ryo/Shenhua, an environment trailer, anything to sink our teeth into, this wouldn't have hurt so badly. Instead, we all put our last hopes for any real update on the game all the way back in fucking SEPTEMBER because of Cedric's words and this is the result.

It isn't just PSX. It's everything to do with the project from the point the KS ended all coming to a head, and when it's FINALLY hinted we will finally get to see the next Shenmue as per Cedric - the games PRODUCER - jack and shit happens.

To be honest, I blame myself for getting so emotionally invested after Cedric's December tease tweet. I should know better than to get excited for ANYTHING Shenmue until I see it with my own two eyes.

Himuro has received a thanks from: iyapol
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:32 am

ShenGCH wrote: My biggest concern is where exposure, attention, and interest are concerned. Sure, we get monthly updates from the team covering a range of things, but what use is that when it's only the backers receiving those updates, plus a smattering of non-backers who come here or check the Kickstarter page every now and then? E3 was the best possible way to announce the game because it's the biggest gaming event in the world, and they fucking nailed it, but that was a year and a half ago; resting on one's laurels is absolutely not the way to go, especially where video games are concerned, so keeping those who are already aware of the game hyped and excited, and garnering interest from those who previously weren't bothered or didn't even know about the game, should be a priority. That is why showing Shenmue III at PSX would have be an incredible move; not only were people praying for it to happen, and showing it would have got them even more hyped and content with progress of the development, but it very well could have been the game's second wind following its reveal at E3 2015.

The game desperately needs a revitalisation in the form of a showing at a big event, but they knocked that on the head by doing a no-show, not only leaving backers and/or those looking forward to the game in the dark and also concerned with how the game is coming together, but also completely wasting the opportunity to garner new interest. Would it have killed them just to send a two minute trailer to be shown?

The good thing about big game events: they're yearly. PSX'16 is gone, it'll be back again next year. Same with E3, TGS, GamesCom, Paris Games Week, etc. Yeah it sucks they didn't get something out there, but let's not pretend this was a one-shot thing. Our one-shot was getting the game funded, which we did, thrice over.

Himuro wrote:It's the breaking point for me because it was virtually the last shred of hope we had for any tangible update before the end of this year. Cedric literally said they can't say or show anything major before December 2017.

No, that's a quirk of him not being a native English speaker. We had this same song and dance at MAGIC over this.

Himuro wrote:The status of the game is unknown - the last update was reportedly recorded in August of this year, which is worrying because it shows they are recording updates months in advance without any hint about the games development status and this being a Kickstarter - not a regularly produced game, this draws concern.

No. Categorically, no. I know I was one of the people who thought that initially, but after thinking about it- it's a dumb assumption to draw. The Awesome Japan people just goofed when reusing a title card. Yu's computer said 23rd November. Let's kill these stupid conspiracy theories right now.

Himuro wrote:If they had given us anything to chew on through the year: voice over clips, a new model of Ryo/Shenhua, an environment trailer, anything to sink our teeth into, this wouldn't have hurt so badly. Instead, we all put our last hopes for any real update on the game all the way back in fucking SEPTEMBER because of Cedric's words and this is the result.

It isn't just PSX. It's everything to do with the project from the point the KS ended all coming to a head, and when it's FINALLY hinted we will finally get to see the next Shenmue as per Cedric - the games PRODUCER - jack and shit happens.

To be honest, I blame myself for getting so emotionally invested after Cedric's December tease tweet. I should know better than to get excited for ANYTHING Shenmue until I see it with my own two eyes.

Look, if you want PSX'16 to be the hill you die on for this project, fine.

But there's always another game conference or monthly Kickstarter update down the road. PSX was never going to be the end of the journey. It's okay to be mad for a bit, but if this kind of rhetoric continues, you're just going to be playing yourself.

I really do empathise with the annoyance of not getting to see the game just yet, but let's be real, this scenario is temporary. Tomorrow is another day, business as usual.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:37 am

You say business as usual but I'm worried about the larger implications for the game such as non-fans rescinding their donations. They have zero investment and don't know what the game is. The silence from the team is not helping things at all and I am legitimately concerned for the status of the game. Watch this months update be "Yu's favorite Christmas pajamas" or something.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:46 am

Himuro wrote: You say business as usual but I'm worried about the larger implications for the game such as non-fans rescinding their donations. They have zero investment and don't know what the game is. The silence from the team is not helping things at all and I am legitimately concerned for the status of the game. Watch this months update be "Yu's favorite Christmas pajamas" or something.

Honestly? It's only fans on here and in the KS comments that I've seen talk about refunds (which may not even actually be possible). That's understandable, though. We're the most emotionally invested, and therefore the most mad that it didn't make PSX, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, y'know?

Non-fans probably don't actually care that PSX has come and gone without Shenmue. None of the stuff that got us excited about PSX moved the needle on places like GAF, let alone the average joe who donated $29 for the digital version on the first day of the campaign and never looked at it again.

Make your voice heard to Cedric, Awesome Japan, YSnet that you're unhappy with not seeing enough of the game, but let's not pretend they aren't actually doing anything when we know they're working their asses off week-in week-out in that Ebisu office. From there it's a short leap to becoming that weirdo in the KS comments who thinks Yu has become an alcoholic and spends all the money on wine.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:52 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Himuro wrote: You say business as usual but I'm worried about the larger implications for the game such as non-fans rescinding their donations. They have zero investment and don't know what the game is. The silence from the team is not helping things at all and I am legitimately concerned for the status of the game. Watch this months update be "Yu's favorite Christmas pajamas" or something.

Honestly? It's only fans on here and in the KS comments that I've seen talk about refunds (which may not even actually be possible). That's understandable, though. We're the most emotionally invested, and therefore the most mad that it didn't make PSX, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, y'know?

Non-fans probably don't actually care that PSX has come and gone without Shenmue. None of the stuff that got us excited about PSX moved the needle on places like GAF, let alone the average joe who donated $29 for the digital version on the first day of the campaign and never looked at it again.

Make your voice heard to Cedric, Awesome Japan, YSnet that you're unhappy with not seeing enough of the game, but let's not pretend they aren't actually doing anything when we know they're working their asses off week-in week-out in that Ebisu office. From there it's a short leap to becoming that weirdo in the KS comments who thinks Yu has become an alcoholic and spends all the money on wine.

I'm not talking about refunds now. Read what I wrote earlier. If there is nothing of real meat for this game released before or during the kickstarter's two year anniversary, expect non-fans - particularly the game press - to throw this game under the bus Mighty No. 9 style. It's very predictable and given the teams penchant for showing nothing this entire year except 5 measly screenshots and video footage only to people who paid 10k dollars, things are not boding well for them having anything ready for reveal for E3. If they do not have a reveal of this game before June 2017, this game is fucked. I can feel it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby scarless landi » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:53 am

For real! Been a dedicated Shenmue Fan for years. Donated $500.00 towards the KS and you don't see me bitching. Like one user said "I would have given my left nut for a Shenmue 3 announcement."

Some of you guys are acting like children who didn't get what they wanted for Christmas.

scarless landi has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Monkei
scarless landi
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: PhoenixMirror
Steam: PhoenixMirror

Postby SMDzero » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:57 am

No, we're acting like children who got nothing but a lump of coal for Christmas.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: Monkei
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby scarless landi » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:59 am

SMDzero wrote: No, we're acting like children who got nothing but a lump of coal for Christmas.

More than what I would get for Christmas. I come from a poor family. I have to purchase stuff for myself.

scarless landi has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
scarless landi

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:59 am

scarless landi wrote: Image

For real! Been a dedicated Shenmue Fan for years. Donated $500.00 towards the KS and you don't see me bitching. Like one user said "I would have given my left nut for a Shenmue 3 announcement."

Some of you guys are acting like children who didn't get what they wanted for Christmas.

You people keep thinking this is only about PSX really need to learn how to read. It's more than that and the radio silence from Ys net is worrying going forward.

Whether you'd give your left nut for Shenmue III is irrelevant. We'd hold out hope anyways because we're diehards. But what you people keep missing is that this is not any normal type of game. It is a Kickstarter. With Kickstarter's you have to show progress of the game. We have not seen anything of the sort and this game is the highest backed game KS of all time. It was received lots of support and if you think the continued radio silence for this game is good for its position as a kickstarter, going nearly two years since its reveal, is a good thing then you should probably look into getting a brain transplant rather than giving up that testicle.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SMDzero » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:08 am

scarless landi wrote:
SMDzero wrote: No, we're acting like children who got nothing but a lump of coal for Christmas.

More than what I would get for Christmas. I come from a poor family. I have to purchase stuff for myself.

So you were expected to buy your own Christmas presents?

Did you actually have to wrap them yourself, put them under the tree, and then feign surprise and excitement when you opened your own gifts?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby scarless landi » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:12 am

SMDzero wrote:
scarless landi wrote:

Did you actually have to wrap them yourself, put them under the tree, and then feign surprise and excitement when you opened your own gifts?

Wow your ignorant. Yea, actually. I don't get anything from my family. I work my ass off to give to them. I never get anything for Christmas. When I mean anything I really mean "ANYTHING". Your officially a fucking ass hole for stating this..Just saying. I usually don't curse but holy crap your landed on my shit list.

Im logging off now. This forum has become TOXIC
scarless landi

Postby SMDzero » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:16 am

scarless landi wrote:
SMDzero wrote:
scarless landi wrote:

Wow your ignorant. Yea, actually. I don't get anything from my family. I work my ass off to give to them. I never get anything for Christmas. When I mean anything I really mean "ANYTHING". Your officially a fucking ass hole for stating this..Just saying. I usually don't curse but holy crap your landed on my shit list.

Hey man.. no need for language. My heart goes out to your family.

Someone like you who had previously struggled economically deserved a chance to get a Shenmue 3 trailer to (finally!) get a proper Christmas present.

Your whole life you got this for Christmas:

Then Cedric Biscay promises you this for Christmas:

But then you actually get:

It ain't fair!!!!!
Last edited by SMDzero on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III