Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #63: Campaign and Progress Update

Postby Sappharad » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 am

Hazuki00 wrote:I was watching this early vídeo of bailu village hut and I liked a lot the high level of detail attained. Then I was comparing this vídeo with the latest screenshots they gave us in this update.

I noticed the differences between the flat bricks of this image below without bump mapping and so with the bricks in the hut, much more detailed. What do you think?

I think it's just the distance away from the camera. In the same set of images we got the one with the grass where Ryo's jeans looked very detailed as well. From that far away the bricks probably do look flat no matter how detailed it is.

When the "December" trailer drops, hopefully it will clear this up. (And when that does happen, it should give us a better idea if it's still feasible for them to make a December 2017 release.)
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:52 am

I thought the same at the first time but the columns of the temple looks too flat and blocky to be something like this. I bet it's more like they didn´t apply some effects to the scenary, don't you think? Or maybe, in order to process less polygons at some distance the engine doesn't "paint" all polygons and apply some effects till you get nearer. I think Shenmue 1 and 2 did something like this too.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:15 pm

I think you guys are onto something.

UE4 has a pretty good LOD (level of detail) system, but generally with early software it doesn't make sense to have it set at a high threshold (greater detail from longer distances) because it'll just end up tanking the framerate because of the unoptimised code at that stage of development.

Peter said he saw the temple gate up close and thought it looked really detailed too, which adds to the argument that maybe this was a LOD issue.

If this is all true, then it was kind of a boneheaded move to put that screen out without bumping the LOD up, but it is what it is. The atmosphere of the temple gate screen is far more exciting than any pixel-pushing graphical wizardry.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:55 pm

I agree with you Spag. Besides, maybe they will always release pictures or videos purposely downgraded just as suzuki did when he was working in sega. That way the game cause more impact on gamers when they release it and don't show at what stage of the progress they are. Sure they are far more advanced than we can imagine..
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:02 pm

I wouldn't say they're purposefully downgrading shots for more impact later on, but it's clear they're not treating KS update screens as promotional materials. Which is fair enough, because the priority is on building the game rather than flashy screens and video. Given the time and budgetary restrictions, I'd say they're making the right long term choices.

But yeah, we know for a fact that the curtain has barely been pulled back on what has already been achieved. Not only from what Peter and LanDC said about what they saw in Japan, but also by Ryan Payton saying how he's continually impressed by the progress each time he stops by.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Wait, was there no KS update at all for January?
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:16 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Wait, was there no KS update at all for January?

No. Some people count the New Years message, but it never made it to the KS itself so IMO, it doesn't really count.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:10 am

Spaghetti wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote: Wait, was there no KS update at all for January?

No. Some people count the New Years message, but it never made it to the KS itself so IMO, it doesn't really count.

That said, updates #63 and #64 were both in December. :P
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Kiske wrote:That said, updates #63 and #64 were both in December. :P

Yeah, but even then #64 was just a Christmas card and a recap of #63.

Not that it matters right now, anyway. From tomorrow it'll only be another three weeks until the end of the month and we can do this rodeo all over again.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Hoping for the next update to be big but I'll be fine if it isn't. The delay gives me hope though.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 pm

I'm not sure how worthwhile it is having the "they're building up to something" mentality.

So far, periods of low-info (and in this case skipping a month entirely) haven't yielded big returns on update content. It's clear these quiet periods are because they're intensely focusing on production over promotion, which is what the updates really are in effect.

But I suppose on the flip side, eventually they have to show us the product of all this hard work. It'll probably just be when we least expect it.

February's update could be "Yu's favourite wines by year" even with the skipped month, and then suddenly March's update is "here's a full area reveal of Bailu, Choubu, and Baisha, see ya later".

As ever, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the next update is the one we've all been waiting for.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:11 am

In a bit more of a week is the Magic Monaco, we'll see If Cedric has something to show. I wouldn't count on it as Cedric didn't confirm anything so it could be a surprise if we see some pics or something.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gastarot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:29 am

I'm shocked MAGIC Monaco 2017 give to us Zero news about Shenmue 3. Very shocked. :-s
Last edited by Gastarot on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:19 am

What had they said before MAGIC that led you to so firmly believe there would be news that you are shocked that there wasn't?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:01 am

Gastarot wrote: I'm shocked MAGIC Monaco 2017 give to use Zero news about Shenmue 3. Very chocked. :-s

Gastarooot my heroooo. :heart: Too bad I lost my DC mag with your drawing of Vyse inside. (Yeah I'm the one who told you at Gamekult)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III