Will we actually see the resurrection of Chiyou monster?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Do you think we will actually see the resurrection of the Chiyou monster? (Total votes: 24)

Yes - in Shenmue 3
No votes
Yes - in Shenmue 4/5
54%
No - never, it will be prevented by the heroes
13%
No - Chiyou is just a legend/myth meant to be understood only figuratively
25%
No - Yu Suzuki has 'retconned' Chiyou from story following (some) fan backlash to the game's supernatural elements
4%
Pass. I don't really mind.
4%

Will we actually see the resurrection of Chiyou monster?

Postby johnvivant » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:04 am

So do you think there will be an event in the game where the Chiyou monster is actually resurrected?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Will we actually see the resurrection of Chiyou monster?

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:20 am

I voted for "No - never, it will be prevented by the heroes"

Thinking about it, I'm not really sure if I watched in a very old video something related to this or it's only my imagination.

Gui Zhang told Ryo that If Lan Di would take both mirrors, it'll be the end of Ryo, so I think that won't happen...
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby 7heavens » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am

I voted yes. But i dont think that chiyou will be an independant entity. Instead i think that the 'demon-like' spirit of the chiyou will posess someone like tentei. And ryo will have to face tentei who is now posessed with the power of chiyou.

Tentei's martial arts will be at a supernatural level when this occurs. So it would be important for ryo to really have purified himself from his internal demons and vices and really mastered all that he has learnt from his teachers that he met along his journey in order for him to defeat chiyou/tentei. But he will not be able to do this alone, he will need assistance from friends such as shenhua, ren and others etc.
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Peter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:20 am

I hope so! The lore of Shenmue is what interests me the most. The questions that are left unanswered are what has kept me going for 15 years. The Dragon, the treasure, the significance of the mirrors, the relevance of the Chiyoumen, it's leaders and heavenly beasts.

If it all turns out to be metaphorical I will be very disappointed.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:08 pm

I love 7heavens take on it.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: 7heavens
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jesse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 am

I believe we will see the Chi You possibly at the end of Shenmue 3 if not then definitely in the sequels. I just don't see why include the tattoo on Lan Di's arm plus the logo on the helicopter in 2 as well as all the stories about it devouring the world etc. Without us ever getting to see him in a physical form. I can see Lan Di getting a hold of both mirrors somehow and thus that could be a cliffhanger ending.
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Toua77 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:35 am

I don't think it'll be a monster per-se, but a super saiyan/possessed version of Lan-Di controlled by the entity.
Toua77
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:41 am

Hazuki00 wrote: I voted for "No - never, it will be prevented by the heroes"

Thinking about it, I'm not really sure if I watched in a very old video something related to this or it's only my imagination.

Gui Zhang told Ryo that If Lan Di would take both mirrors, it'll be the end of Ryo, so I think that won't happen...

The CGI trailer for Shenmue online had this....

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Himuro » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Hoping its figurative. I don't think that kind of thing has a place in Shenmue.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Might be worth taking a look at the old Project Berkley trailer when thinking about this stuff. That trailer is pretty heavily inclined towards Chi-based Wuxia elements that might mean Chiyou is something very, very literal.

That stuff is woven through the series as an undercurrent that only really bubbled to the surface at the end of II. Ryo's dreams in the original game always indicated something beyond down-to-earth realism was going on anyway.

Of course, that doesn't exactly mean the realism of the series is going to go flying out the window. Shenhua is clearly the character that will have Chi-based power, and while considered the heroine of the series, Ryo is still the main character.

Plus, I have a feeling Ryo and Shenhua will be separated later in the story, seeing how she becomes absent from the VFRPG chapter artwork after a certain point.

If Ryo's whole arc for the series is honing his martial arts prodigy skills to the point of overcoming supernatural elements and overwhelming odds, well. That sounds pretty cool to me.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:34 pm

The only character with wuxia based magic power so far is Shenhua. I'm fine with that as she's not a martial artist. I'm also fine with the supernatural elements so far because they're mysterious. The dreams, Shenhua's chi powers. I like these things because despite their being tied in supernatural forces still feel like they belong in the realistic, grounded world of Shenmue. Almost like how in real life you can have a dream and then it actually happens just like how you dreamed it, down to the last detail. But real life doesn't have giant dragons poring forth from the Earth. There's the difference. I find Shenmue to be a series about Chinese mysticism in a realistic world. Having actual dragons and phoenixes come out of the Earth is stupid to me and betrays every single thing that makes Shenmue what it is for me.

To me, Shenmue is about overcoming grief and the cycle of revenge. Stuff like the mysticism is gravy. At its heart, Shenmue is about a boy who couldn't let the murder of his father go. Shenmue just being a story about Ryo becoming a martial arts master who can overcome supernatural forces isn't Shenmue to me. At that point, you might as be playing some other game IMO. How many games involve the characters going on a journey to beat some super powerful supernatural force? So why are some people so keen on that occurring in Shenmue?

Who Really Cares? wrote:

phpBB [video]

This is truly terrible to me and I'm glad Yu has went out of his way to say this WON'T HAPPEN.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Music » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:05 am

Himuro wrote: The only character with wuxia based magic power so far is Shenhua. I'm fine with that as she's not a martial artist. I'm also fine with the supernatural elements so far because they're mysterious. The dreams, Shenhua's chi powers. I like these things because despite their being tied in supernatural forces still feel like they belong in the realistic, grounded world of Shenmue. Almost like how in real life you can have a dream and then it actually happens just like how you dreamed it, down to the last detail. But real life doesn't have giant dragons poring forth from the Earth. There's the difference. I find Shenmue to be a series about Chinese mysticism in a realistic world. Having actual dragons and phoenixes come out of the Earth is stupid to me and betrays every single thing that makes Shenmue what it is for me.

To me, Shenmue is about overcoming grief and the cycle of revenge. Stuff like the mysticism is gravy. At its heart, Shenmue is about a boy who couldn't let the murder of his father go. Shenmue just being a story about Ryo becoming a martial arts master who can overcome supernatural forces isn't Shenmue to me. At that point, you might as be playing some other game IMO. How many games involve the characters going on a journey to beat some super powerful supernatural force? So why are some people so keen on that occurring in Shenmue?

Who Really Cares? wrote:

phpBB [video]

This is truly terrible to me and I'm glad Yu has went out of his way to say this WON'T HAPPEN.

I disagree. I'd love it to be as amazing as possible. Dragons and all these other creatures that may appear in Shenmue sound awesome to me. I also want magical stuff to be present as well. I don't why you don't want these things to happen, but they would really add to the experience. Oh well, to each their own I suppose.
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Shenmue_Music wrote:
Himuro wrote: The only character with wuxia based magic power so far is Shenhua. I'm fine with that as she's not a martial artist. I'm also fine with the supernatural elements so far because they're mysterious. The dreams, Shenhua's chi powers. I like these things because despite their being tied in supernatural forces still feel like they belong in the realistic, grounded world of Shenmue. Almost like how in real life you can have a dream and then it actually happens just like how you dreamed it, down to the last detail. But real life doesn't have giant dragons poring forth from the Earth. There's the difference. I find Shenmue to be a series about Chinese mysticism in a realistic world. Having actual dragons and phoenixes come out of the Earth is stupid to me and betrays every single thing that makes Shenmue what it is for me.

Who Really Cares? wrote:

phpBB [video]

I disagree. I'd love it to be as amazing as possible. Dragons and all these other creatures that may appear in Shenmue sound awesome to me. I also want magical stuff to be present as well. I don't why you don't want these things to happen, but they would really add to the experience. Oh well, to each their own I suppose.

Dragons and stuff would make Shenmue just another video game with magic in it. Almost every video game has magic in it. Magic being mysterious and subdued lends to mystery and discussion and interpretation, which is far more interesting. Like the Guilin section of II and Shenhua, those things are fun to think about and talk about. I like that we don't get a concrete answer and that it's left to interpretation. Having a bit of magic under the veil of realism is fascinating and unique to games, which generally revel in the supernatural and mysticism. Having an actual dragon just wouldn't be Shenmue to me.

As said above I have seen the Shenmue Online video with the dragon and the phoenix, and think it's fucking stupid. I think Shenmue works best as a grounded martial arts story about overcoming grief and hate. The supernatural shit is just gravy and should never taken precedence over Ryo's growth as a person.

I'm not sure why those who want dragons and stuff don't just play Final Fantasy or something if they want full on magic.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby johnvivant » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:39 pm

how would you feel if the supernatural events (resurrections, hadoukens, possessions by supernatural entities) only took place in the last few hours of the final game, with everything before it remaining pretty grounded?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Disappointed. Lan Di used martial arts to kill Iwao, Ryo should use martial arts (no kamehameha) to beat (not kill) Lan Di.

All of what you mentioned sounds awful to me and IMO belongs in another series entirely.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Return to Shenmue III