Your HD remaster cravings?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Your HD remaster cravings?

Postby Monkei » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:58 am

HD remasters are a great way to experience beloved older games in a fresh new way on your current hardware. I'm curious, what are your most desired HD remasters that are still missing?

My list would go kinda like this:

1) Shenmue I&II
2) Jet Set Radio Future
3) Skies of Arcadia
4) Grandia II
5) Panzer Dragoon Saga (never played that one)
6) Killer7
7) Rayman 2: The Great Escape / Rayman Revolution
8) Metal Gear Solid
9) Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future
10) Earthworm Jim 2
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Your HD remaster cravings?

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:33 am

Shenmue 1 and 2
Jet set radio future
Burning rangers
Midtown Madness
Advent Rising
Full Spectrum Warrior
Death row
Rallisport Challenge 2
Def Jam Fight for New York
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Himuro » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:53 am

Holy moly too many!

Shenmue 1/2, Valkyrie Profile 1/2, SSX Tricky and 3, Killer 7! Those make the top!

In terms of full remakes, Suikoden I-V.

Himuro has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jibby » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Got a few, but my top 3 would probably be:
1. Shenmue 1 & 2
2. Hydro Thunder (That weird Windows Store spin off doesn't count!)
3. TES IV: Oblivion (Gutted they did Skyrim instead!)
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Hydro Thunder HD is on xbox 360 and xbox one
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Sonikku » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Shenmue and KOTOR. I don't often have the time for HD remakes however, I don't even have the time to keep up with all the first run games and anime these days.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Axm
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Very good question. This console generation has seen so many remakes, probably more than any other console generation before it, mainly because a lot of publishers didn't trust the PS4 to become such a huge success in the beginning of the generation. They thought console gaming was pretty much dead after the exceptionally long PS3 generation, so publishers didn't want to invest in new content and preferred having old stuff remade.

I personally didn't play video games for the entire PS3/Xbox 360 so the wave of remakes and remasters enabled me to play quite a few games I had initially missed out on. On the other hand there are only very few old games I want remade. With a few exceptions, I would have the option to get the game and the respective console on the cheap through Ebay.

Personally, I've kept the games and consoles I like to revisit from time. PS1 had some of my favorite games ever but I sold my PS1 and the games years ago. Fond memories but no need to ever play them again.

I've kept my Saturn, DC and PS2 for games like Nights, VF2, Shenmue 1 and 2, Ikaruga, KoF 2002, Skies of Arcadia , Jet Set Radio, the first 2 Yakuza games, Outrun 2 and Silent Hill 2 which I do revisit from time to time. So I personally wouldn't need a remake for any of those with the exceptions of Shenmue 1 & 2. But of course I can see the benefit and why people would want those.

Most remakes/remasters I would want would be of games that were either never released outside Japan or are ridiculously expensive if you try to buy a copy nowadays. The remasters/remakes I'd like to see are:

1) Shenmue 1 & 2 - having them on the same systems as S3 would increase S3's chances of succeeding and also at least on the PC version, the Shenmue community would find a way to hack that save stat and make them compatible with one another. You could at least carry over your moves and your money from Shenmue 2 to 3 then. At least on PC. :)

2) Shining Force 3 - Shining Force 3 Scenario 2 and Scenario 3 were never oficially released in English, I think and the Saturn version goes for like 200 bucks on Ebay. Always wanted to play that game.

3) Radiant Silver Gun - Another Saturn legend. Ridiculously expensive on Ebay. Out of question for me, financially.

4) Panzer Dragoon Saga - Again a Saturn classic which is way too expensive for me nowadays.

5) The Silver Case - PS1 classic. Never released outside Japan. So glad the remaster is happening. \:D/

I've been kind of wantng to play some great PS2 games like Digital Devil Saga, ICO and Onimusha since like forever, but never got around to do it. Then again, if I really wanted to play them I could probably just get them at a reasonable price and dig out my PS2. So no remakes needed there.
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Monkei
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby John Doom » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:16 pm

:???: When a game gets "remastered", I'm always a bit worried that it might either turn out as a poor porting or as a disrespectful remake [-X (changing is ok as long as its changes are optional). I think especially 5th gen videogames need remasters, because, most of the time, their graphics (and even controls) haven't aged well :\
:) So here's my list (in alphabetical order):
-Devilman (I'd probably do it myself if I had the right 3d models and animations :D );
-The Last Ninja series (System 3 is going to kickstart it soon :) ).
-Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen (fans are already taking care of it);
-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (though the dreamcast version is already good enough);
-Metal Gear Solid (the maps are actually fine, the problem is their faces look like masks :D );
-Resident Evil 2 (Capcom is working on a remake, but it's supposed to be respectful, so I may like it);
-Shenmue I & II (hopefully they'll also translate them in more languages, or else it won't help much SIII);
-Silent Hill;
-Tekken 2;
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Monkei » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:27 pm

John Doom wrote:-Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen;
-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Oh yes, good ones. I'd love those, too.

Jibby wrote:2. Hydro Thunder (That weird Windows Store spin off doesn't count!)

I'd like this one, too, but I'd much rather have a sequel or remake with the same gameplay and current gen graphics!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jibby » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Hydro Thunder HD is on xbox 360 and xbox one

That's not Hydro Thunder HD, that's Hydro Thunder Hurricane; the weird spin off I was referring to. It was very disappointing imo.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:09 pm

All the games I would like have already pretty much been said (shenmue series, JSRF, SOA). I would like a KOTOR that works on windows 7 too since no matter how many fixes I try it always freezes a few seconds after launch, weird how it works perfectly on my phone but not on my PC.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Axm
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby KidMarine » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: 3) Radiant Silver Gun - Another Saturn legend. Ridiculously expensive on Ebay. Out of question for me, financially.

Radiant Silvergun is on XBLA. Well worth the cash!
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:44 pm

1. Image

&

2. Image

3. Shenmue 1 and 2.

4. Image
(Just a simple Re-release/simple port more than anything, those pixels are perfect: include the option to switch between the MSX2, PC-88, PC Engine, SEGA CD and PSX/Saturn versions and betweenJapanese and English VA and we're good to go)

5. Image

6. Image

7. Image

8. Image (And this time release it in English, you fucks!)

9. Image

10. Image

Secret bonus (curiosity more than anything else):

Image - Finish the game this time, add Online Battles back in, implement a hybrid auto battle and Press Turn system, add some more demons into it and boom, HD it, mission accomplished. Shame it's tied to Xbox and well, fated to never come out. What a weird game. Who thought releasing a SMT game on Xbox was a good idea? Who?

Others like Yakuza 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Metal Gear 1 & 2, Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2 and Vagrant Story I'd like to see remade rather than just HD remastered.

Henry Spencer has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, Mr357, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby south carmain » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:53 pm

^I have a feeling that we might possibly get a MGS remake after MGS survive
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:19 pm

KidMarine wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: 3) Radiant Silver Gun - Another Saturn legend. Ridiculously expensive on Ebay. Out of question for me, financially.

Radiant Silvergun is on XBLA. Well worth the cash!

Really? I had no idea. It's great they introduced this masterpiece to a younger audience. However, I don't have an X Bone, let alone an Xbox 360. :cry: Shame they didn't bring it to the PS4, but yeah. You can't have everything in life, I guess. 8)

Henry Spencer wrote:
10. Image

Which game is your number 10, the Saturn game?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming