Your HD remaster cravings?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Your HD remaster cravings?

Postby OL » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Crimson Sea (Xbox) - Another of my favorites on Xbox, though typically a bit lesser-known than ones like Otogi, JSFR, or Panzer Dragoon Orta. The control scheme is a little dated by today's standards (tank controls, while holding a shoulder button lets you strafe), but the graphics always were quite nice for something that wasn't quite triple-A. The cutscenes, in particular, have a near-Final Fantasy level of gloss to them which would look beautiful upscaled and smoothed out. Perhaps a new sequel or a reboot would be more appropriate, but I certainly wouldn't scoff at a remaster. Absolutely loved this game. Need to finish its PS2 sequel one of these days.
ImageImageImageImage

Genji: Dawn of the Samurai (PS2) - Lawdy lawdy, this game looked amazing. But, much like practically any other PS2 game I might mention, it had the jaggies. All of the jaggies.
Still, it was an excellent game for samurai/Onimusha fans, and remains one of my favorites within that particular niche. And Jesus, those are some of the nicest-looking real-time environments on PS2.

ImageImageImageImage
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:58 am

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/22/st ... station-4/

phpBB [video]

We got one guys! Star Ocean 3 is coming to PS4! YESSSSS

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Niiiiiice. Star Ocean 3 is excellent. Probably the best in the series. Was going to mention that eventually.
It's been a long while since I've played it. Hope the remaster actually comes west.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 pm

That's cool 3 is getting a release on PS4, my PS2 copy never worked, unfortunately and when I tried getting into the series with 5...yeahhhh, that was not a good game. :/
Always wanted to try 3 though, so that's nice.

Thought of a couple more as well:

With the release of Kiwami and 0, I'd like to see more "legacy" Yakuza games come out and this game upscaled with the bells and whistles of the 0 engine would be fantastic. Just imagining those Heat moves in that setting playing a samurai Kazuya, hnnnnngh. Why in the almighty fuck did we get Dead Souls instead of this? Always looked waaay better than Dead Souls to me, even back then. Of all the spin offs we got that. Heck, I'd love the PSP games to get remastered too, would have preferred those over Dead Souls as well (which almost killed the series off in the West, great decision, SEGA).

I'd like to try the Romancing SaGa games and Minstrel Song looked like the best one to start out with since it's a PS2 remake of the original on the SNES. Each one is self contained but Minstrel Song looked like a good intro to the series for me, shame it never came out in Europe or else I'd play it. Fingers crossed now that so many SaGa games are getting amde this one ends up on the PS4.

Before No More Heroes. Before Killer7. Before The Silver Case. Before Grasshopper Manufacture. Before the "Suda51" persona. Goichi Suda used to work at a little company called "Human Entertainment" who were well known for making "cult" games in Japan. These included the Fire Pro Wrestling series (that Suda worked on) and Clock Tower. They are also renowned for one other series that English audiences never got the opportunity to experience called "Twilight Syndrome" which are "Clock Tower" clones created by Goichi Suda. These were Suda's directorial debuts after he worked on the Fire Pro series.

He followed up two Twilight Syndrome games with the first in the "Kill The Past" series, Moonlight Syndrome. Which is supposed to be a real mindfuck of a game with a plot that heads into the darkest recesses of the human psyche.

I'd love for these games to receive the same sort of treatment/love that The Silver Case received. Hoping that Spike Chunsoft do the right thing if Suda asks about it (since Spike Chunsoft basically are the other half of Human that split off after they closed down, Grasshopper Manufacture and EDF developer, Sandlot being the others).

Also, speaking of Human Entertainment, one of their final games they made before they shut down I'd also love to see receive the same treatment The Silver Case got:

A mystery adventure game that used systems that Shenmue would later also try (weather system, time system). Think it'd be one that Shenmue fans would appreciate. This game was so far ahead of the time it was made and may have been the real reason why Human closed down, don't think they ever really recovered after this game. Game looks fantastic to me in every way. Shame nobody has even fan translated it. Guess it might just stay obscured forever at this point, unfortunately. :sad:

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Himuro » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:15 pm

I bought Mizzurna Falls. Gonna play it one of these days. Learning Japanese has opened up an entirely new window to games I can play.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Image

I'd like to try the Romancing SaGa games and Minstrel Song looked like the best one to start out with since it's a PS2 remake of the original on the SNES. Each one is self contained but Minstrel Song looked like a good intro to the series for me, shame it never came out in Europe or else I'd play it. Fingers crossed now that so many SaGa games are getting amde this one ends up on the PS4.

Nice one, I've always been meaning to get back to that one of these days. Played a few hours a ways back and liked the vibe of it quite a lot, and yeah, that watercolor-esque style of the textures would look pretty sweet with an HD remaster. That game also still has one of my favorite intros ever, even if I haven't played the game itself fully. Friggin' artful. An upscaled version of that video alone would almost be worth the price of admission for me, provided they still have the original code lying around.

Looking it up a bit, I also just realized there's a remake in English of Romancing Saga 2 available for mobile. Supposedly a Vita version is being made too, but I don't think there's been any update on it in months, so I may just buy the mobile version pretty soon.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:12 am

I'd like remastered PS4 ports of Heavenly Sword and Folklore. Never played those on PS3 and would prefer to play them with trophies.

Monkei has received a thanks from: OL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 am

Pretty much everything I can think of has already been mentioned here and there but I have things to add.

Mafia II and L.A. Noire.
With so many ports of last gen games it would only seem natural to have these two big entries. They are fantastic games as they are but a refreshed version could benefit from increased resolution and framerate and maybe even some extra stuff to make the experience even more impressive. While you can more or less attain those improvements by playing the PC versions (wich I did) it's still something else to have them on a current console.

When I mention the sequel of course I also have to bring up the original Mafia.
The og PC version is getting old now, it's almost in line with Shenmue, at least Shenmue II. This it deserves a proper remake almost as much as the game we all love. It has also never been rereleased properly, just a lame downgrade for PS2 and Xbox 2 years later.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Mr357
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Who Really Cares? » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Monkei wrote:
John Doom wrote:-Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen;
-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Oh yes, good ones. I'd love those, too.

Jibby wrote:2. Hydro Thunder (That weird Windows Store spin off doesn't count!)

I'd like this one, too, but I'd much rather have a sequel or remake with the same gameplay and current gen graphics!

Well unless MS bring it back the next best thing is Riptide GPS which is by the original team
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Jibby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:20 am

Who Really Cares? wrote:
Monkei wrote:
John Doom wrote:-Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen;
-Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Oh yes, good ones. I'd love those, too.

Jibby wrote:2. Hydro Thunder (That weird Windows Store spin off doesn't count!)

I'd like this one, too, but I'd much rather have a sequel or remake with the same gameplay and current gen graphics!

Well unless MS bring it back the next best thing is Riptide GPS which is by the original team

There actually is a proper Hydro Thunder spin-off made by the original team with almost identical gameplay. It's called H2Overdrive, but sadly it's an arcade game and as far as I'm aware, there's no home port planned. I don't know if the machines are even still in the arcades, so playing it today is something of great difficulty.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby redline » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:18 am

i did buy a copy off ebay a few years back, but its one of those ps1 games which does not work on the ps3.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:22 pm

^^Can't help with the first game, but they do have Ape Escape 2 for PS4 on the Playstation store, which means it is upscaled to an extent. Not quite a full remaster, but it looks better than the PS2 version all the same.

phpBB [video]

I've never played an Ape Escape game (outside of a short demo many, many years ago) but I've been tempted by this.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby DOS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Resident Evil Outbreak/File #2

I've never played these so an HD port will suffice since I can't criticise. I'll even pick it up digitally if they won't release it boxed up. Also, it's probably the only game that would make me get a PS+ subscription.

DOS has received a thanks from: Axm
DOS
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 3 trailer

Postby Himuro » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 am

OL wrote: ^^Can't help with the first game, but they do have Ape Escape 2 for PS4 on the Playstation store, which means it is upscaled to an extent. Not quite a full remaster, but it looks better than the PS2 version all the same.

phpBB [video]

I've never played an Ape Escape game (outside of a short demo many, many years ago) but I've been tempted by this.

Ape Escape games were some of my favorite 3d platformers. Highly suggested, full of love and charm. 3 is probably the best one.

Himuro has received a thanks from: OL
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Vagrant Story (PS1)
Most likely the best looking 3D game of the system due to the fantastic art direction but it could use a HD treatment for modern systems. A shout out as well to the possibly best localization of a Japanese game to the West, arguably surpassing the original.

Breakdown (Xbox)
This game was the inspiration for Mirror's Edge. The first FPS to focus on hand-to-hand combat with chain attacks, cartwheel shooting a la The Matrix and backflips. Probably it's the first one as well to give you a competent AI companion. Shenmue fans should appreciate the level of immersion given to the game as your avatar goes through the animation of searching a body, picking up an health item and examining it before finally consuming it.

God Hand (PS2)
Here is likely where PlatinumGames cemented their great taste for action focused games, back then known as Clover Studios.

Nier (PS3, Xbox360)
If Automata proves to be a successful game, this would be a great title to be reworked on as the mechanics could use a bit of ironing and the visuals were not up to standards even back in 2010 when it was released.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Thief
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming