ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2018

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:18 am

I agree that there's nothing in this rumor that many fans weren't already saying without exclusive insider info.

As ever in gaming and especially Shenmue, only time will tell. And if remasters do come out this year on at least Steam, I doubt I'll be rushing to herald this report as the bold piece of journalism that broke the news.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:22 am

My super secret inside sources tell me a game will come out eventually.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: celsowm, FlagshipFighter, Himuro, Jibby
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:30 am

Spaghetti wrote: My super secret inside sources tell me a game will come out eventually.

I wonder if they'll announce a game at E3.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby iyapol » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:13 am

Spaghetti wrote: My super secret inside sources tell me a game will come out eventually.

Spaghetti's super secret saucey source?

iyapol has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:35 am

iyapol wrote:Spaghetti's super secret saucey source?

He's always getting in trouble for leaking his sauces.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby SheepheadCG » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:17 am

If they were to announce, I'd strongly guess that it would be at E3 for maximum exposure. Sega are in this for the money, and to maximise their profit, E3 is their best way to do that.

However, GDC 2017 does start today, and Sega are present so that is always a possibility. Announcing at GDC would make it one of the bigger/if not the biggest thing at the show, whereas S1 and S2 remakes could get "lost" it E3 due to all the other crazy announcements.

I doubt that we will see anything from GDC, but maybe I could be wrong ;)!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:30 am

SheepheadCG wrote:
However, GDC 2017 does start today, and Sega are present so that is always a possibility. Announcing at GDC would make it one of the bigger/if not the biggest thing at the show, whereas S1 and S2 remakes could get "lost" it E3 due to all the other crazy announcements.

I doubt that we will see anything from GDC, but maybe I could be wrong ;)!

I had no idea GDC starts today and I was thinking about it a day ago. Does anybody know in here if Sony is having a press conference to talk about games?
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby SMDzero » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:08 am

It would be a shame if YsNet wasted development resources making the Shenmue 1 and 2 cinema shorts if the games were going have HD remasters anyway.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 am

SEGA is the same company that just went through the trouble of porting VF5 for the PS4, only to make it a Yakuza 6 mini game when I know at least 20 people that would easily pay $40 for it as a single game on the PS store.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby celsowm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:21 am

https://www.destructoid.com/rumor-shenm ... um=twitter

While Shenmue is iconic in its own right, Shenmue II impacted me in a big way. It came at a perfect time in my life, and has kept me waiting for a follow-up ever since. I hope this remaster project goes off without a hitch, and that all of the minigames, arcade machines and all, are intact!

celsowm has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, KidMarine
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 am

SMDzero wrote: It would be a shame if YsNet wasted development resources making the Shenmue 1 and 2 cinema shorts if the games were going have HD remasters anyway.

I believe the allocated budget to produce them was $500,000, right?

In that case, I would personally agree with you. I mean, it would be cool to see all the key shenmue 1/2 scenes recreated in a beautiful cgi cutscenes but if they had permission to use footage from the original games or the rumoured upcoming remasters I definitely wouldn't think that to be a bad thing. The yakuza games have done this quite often with the ingame cutscenes sometimes showing footage from one and 2. Sure it lacks a little consistency but if those resources were suddenly shifted to 500k's worth of the stretch goals after the ones we've accomplished that may do a lot to further improve the game.

(I wouldn't want to speak for everyone on this though, if I were them, I'd go the voting route, but considering how the kickstarter rewards went maaaaaybe it's better they just made a cold, hard decision)

Alsp on the note of the remasters, I do hope sega goes all out to make a great product and produce a whole load of marketing material too like new art, cgi trailers, devs documentary etc leading up to release.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby SMDzero » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:05 am

FlagshipFighter wrote:
SMDzero wrote: It would be a shame if YsNet wasted development resources making the Shenmue 1 and 2 cinema shorts if the games were going have HD remasters anyway.

I believe the allocated budget to produce them was $500,000, right?

In that case, I would personally agree with you. I mean, it would be cool to see all the key shenmue 1/2 scenes recreated in a beautiful cgi cutscenes but if they had permission to use footage from the original games or the rumoured upcoming remasters I definitely wouldn't think that to be a bad thing. The yakuza games have done this quite often with the ingame cutscenes sometimes showing footage from one and 2. Sure it lacks a little consistency but if those resources were suddenly shifted to 500k's worth of the stretch goals after the ones we've accomplished that may do a lot to further improve the game.

(I wouldn't want to speak for everyone on this though, if I were them, I'd go the voting route, but considering how the kickstarter rewards went maaaaaybe it's better they just made a cold, hard decision)

Alsp on the note of the remasters, I do hope sega goes all out to make a great product and produce a whole load of marketing material too like new art, cgi trailers, devs documentary etc leading up to release.

Yeah apparently they're sinking 7% of the entire budget on the cinema shorts.

Not money well spent in my opinion if they are releasing Shenmue 1 and 2 HD anyway.

Yeah they could have flashbacks with older graphics like they do in the MGS series.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:23 pm

If Sega has plans involving the first two games, I think they would've let Yu Suzuki know well in advance. I think he's still pretty tight with the company, so to speak.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby SMDzero » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:29 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: If Sega has plans involving the first two games, I think they would've let Yu Suzuki know well in advance. I think he's still pretty tight with the company, so to speak.

I also hope Yu Suzuki DOESN'T remake the whole of disc 4 now that we're probably getting Shenmue 2 HD.

Save the money for putting an arcade in Choubu or something.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:41 pm

SMDzero wrote:
I also hope Yu Suzuki DOESN'T remake the whole of disc 4 now that we're probably getting Shenmue 2 HD.

Why would you want this? Did you really think we would never get Shenmue II HD?

Anyways, I really hope Shenmue HD pack has a collectors edition. The only collectors edition of a game I would ever buy. Besides Shenmue III of course. \:D/
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III