Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby BlueMue » Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Okay, so here is Yamanose in a time-lapse since it was requested and because the shrine is indeed worth watching.

phpBB [video]

I had to pull off some tricks to get a good look at the shrine. I simply couldn't find a spot that gave a good angle without Ryo locking on to virtually every NPC. So I used the power of nullDC Cheater to freeze the camera in place and then moved Ryo out of the way.

There's definately something interesting going on with the shrine visitors. While trying to get this video done I noticed differences in who would appear during my bunch of attempts on different days. Like already mentioned by ShenGCH, Liu-san will visit the place early in the morning. He only appears there after you've met him in Suzume Park however.
You can also see Manabu Takimoto and he didn't always appear at the shrine. I don't know how it works but it could be that the game has some sort of weekly schedule for who appears on wich days. Could also be dependent on where you are in the story.

I was actually expecting more visitors and also thought it would be possible to see the kids change shift taking care of the kitten. Since there aren't that many NPCs walking by I made it run quite a bit faster than the previous one.

BlueMue has received 5 thanks from: celsowm, FlagshipFighter, Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, ShenGCH
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat May 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Mr357
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 am

This is not related to Shenmue, but a recent rumor from Rice Digital about creators of PaRappa the Rapper and Gitaroo Man working together on somethingturned turned out to be true.

Rumor article:
http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-rap-rabbit/

Confirmation article:
http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-ra ... confirmed/

The reason why I post this is because last February, Rice Digital has rumored a release of Shenmue HD for 2017.
http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/shenmue-hd ... ming-2017/

This doesn't mean much of course, but it gives some credit to the originator of the rumor (I guees).
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Mon May 15, 2017 5:06 am

Ironically, I was thinking about this article specifically last night. Now, you all will have read my "neutral" post on the Shenmue 3 forums where to discourage the building of my own hype (at the risk of being let down because of, ya know....Sega). But last night I was watching and old episode of The Jimquisition:

phpBB [video]

Now personal preferences towards Jim Sterling aside, and God knows the entire internet and it's dogs have opinions on him, but I can't help take note of some of the points he makes in this specific episode.
For those who don't want to watch it, it's an episode born out of the crazy frenzy that was a No Man's Sky fan right before it's release, when the game got delayed a couple of times. That leads into the bulk of the episode, and the problems with gaming hype culture in general. Now whilst I don't agree with Jim on a lot of points, I can't help but agree on something that we would rarely think about; the person who writes the article/begins a rumour.

He makes a very good point about the person, say in this case, the author of the Rice Digital Shenmue HD article, possibly putting his/her career on the line by spurting what could be potentially be pure lies. This person is a professional. They have a job. They have a boss, and from what I have read from more experienced Dojo members who know more about the reliability of the Rice Digital website, then it seems the author of the Shenmue HD article would have a lot to risk by simply sitting down and fabricating an article about what is a niche videogame with a third sequel on the way, which has barely had any major significant updates or exposure over the better part of 2 years.

Now I'm not saying that means we should all cheer in joy and look forward to Shenmue 3 possibly appearing at E3. Far from it in fact, I mean if it's Sega fully in control of this then they like to do their own standalone announcement, like they did with the recently released Bayonetta, the announced Vanquish ports and even the original Shenmue presentations in the past. But at the same time, I feel like I may have been harsh in my original stance on the author of the article itself. Instead of being staunch to every "rumor" article, this one does indeed to carry some weight given the reputation of the site, and the duty it's author owes to the professionalism of his published work. This is backed up even more by the given Parappa the Rappa "rumor" that seemingly now has came to fruition.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Himuro, Kiske
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Mon May 15, 2017 6:17 am

Interesting.

I personally appreciate (most of the time) "The Jimquisition".

In addition to your comment and headed in the same direction, I spotted this Twitter comment from Rice Digital:

It doesn't look like the behavior of someone who made up a rumor and then "hides in the bushes" (Spicer, if you read me shake a branch) but more like somebody waiting to "reap the benefits from the early call" (let's leave the ego matter for the time being).

I (try to) keep my feet on the ground but it makes me reasonably confident about the rumor.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Mon May 15, 2017 6:19 am

I quoted and credited your find over on NeoGaf in the original Rice Digital thread. Good work bud.

I am REALLY struggling to reign my hype in. Really struggling....
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 am

All right then... if things don't turn out as hoped, I WILL have to find a good hiding spot. :lol:

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon May 15, 2017 8:35 am

Agreed, great work @Kiske, you're last few findings on Shenmue HD have been great! We've got your back if shyte hits the fan! xD

This forum was built on hope, and damn be to us all if we're ever gonna give it up this easily!

I didn't place much credence to the rice rumour as the days progressed either, especially with the 'shenmue 3 delay' and I really do hope it doesn't follow suit in the say that Bayonetta/Vanquish has in that it's only available on PC/steam. Regarding that I'm sure we'll know more soon enough, but glad to see they were right on another rumour outside of the KOF14 one...

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Kiske
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Kiske » Mon May 15, 2017 9:26 am

Kind of hurts, but I have to post it nevertheless.

Toadthemushroom wrote: I wouldn't read much into the Rice Digital + Gitaroo Man rumours as meaning that Rice Digital would be a credible source for Shenmue HD rumours:

-Rice Digital are practically owned by PQube. The website was founded by PQube's head of marketing.
-PQube are involved with Project Rap Rabbit. Note that a lot of the social media presence and push for the game is being led by Rice Digital, this is unlikely to be coincidental. The Twitter account for Project Rap Rabbit went live in April, the second account that it follows is a project manager at PQube, who is handling communications duties for the game.

I'd look at the Rice Digital Project Rap Rabbit posts as marketing or PR, but not the confirmation of insider rumours for Shenmue HD.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=436

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Mon May 15, 2017 10:08 am

How long Shenmue I would be if you had the timeskip function ? like 8 hours ?

Quite a catch 22, because there are a lot of events that get triggered by just bullshitting around that would get lost to a whole new generation of gamers. But I don't think most people will appreciate a game that makes you wait almost 15 minutes for it to advance (specially because they make you wait really early in the game if you don't time it right).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon May 15, 2017 10:15 am

I'm currently about 22 hours into my first playthrough of Red Dead Redemption, and half of that time has been spent occasionally tapping X and nudging the analog stick as my horse gallops across a barren, dusty map. Hanging out in Dobuita for 15 minutes will feel like a feast for the senses by comparison.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon May 15, 2017 10:38 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I'm currently about 22 hours into my first playthrough of Red Dead Redemption, and half of that time has been spent occasionally tapping X and nudging the analog stick as my horse gallops across a barren, dusty map. Hanging out in Dobuita for 15 minutes will feel like a feast for the senses by comparison.

I'm surprised you didn't spend half of your game time drunk in the saloon (like any self-respecting cowboy)! :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon May 15, 2017 1:22 pm

They don't serve milk (not even in a dirty glass) so I didn't see the point.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Mon May 15, 2017 3:05 pm

In videogames there's always a lot of running around or padding, but in most games you have a goal you are going for, it's active (like crossing a fucking empty field GOING somewhere), Shenmue is one of those games that go "to proceed wait till next day", and it hits you right in the face.

Specially in the first days that you can miss the hour for going to the barbershop, then wait for bars to open (and even miss heart beats, so maybe another extra day of waiting), then wait till night next day to see charly, then wait for the tatoo parlor to open next day, then wait for the next day for charly/the letter... It's a lot of waiting for someone that may not already be invested in the game (and that doesn't count the time backtracking to your home to pass the time faster).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ShenGCH » Mon May 15, 2017 5:37 pm

shredingskin wrote: How long Shenmue I would be if you had the timeskip function ? like 8 hours ?

Quite a catch 22, because there are a lot of events that get triggered by just bullshitting around that would get lost to a whole new generation of gamers. But I don't think most people will appreciate a game that makes you wait almost 15 minutes for it to advance (specially because they make you wait really early in the game if you don't time it right).

A time-skip function would shave a fair amount of time off the final completion time, but nothing too drastic. Off the top of my head, the following events would made considerably shorter by utilising a time-skip:

- Waiting for the bars to open
- Waiting for Nagai Industries to open
- Waiting for 7pm to arrive and then walking towards You Arcade
- Waiting for the tattoo parlour to open
- Waiting for 7pm to arrive and then infiltrating the Old Warehouse District
- Waiting for the Hong King ticket to 'be prepared' by the woman in Asia Travel Company
- Waiting for Goro to turn up outside Warehouse No. 1
- Waiting for the event in which you save the homeless guy from the bikers
- Skipping lunch breaks at the harbour
- Waiting for 8pm to arrive and then encountering Charlie and his gang outside the Harbour Lounge
- Skipping the time between talking to Tom and learning the Tornado Kick, followed by lunch

Have I missed any?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue