Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Peter wrote: I'm not joking, I honestly think there will be nothing shown. Just keeping my expectations low so I can't be disappointed. I'm sure I will be hyped on stream though.

What makes you think like that? As some other folks are saying, if they don't show anything at E3 there is no more opportunities to promote shenmue 3.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Tue May 16, 2017 1:57 pm

PSX to be honest. I really don't want to get other people hyped up only then to suffer a backlash from it. I seen what the game looked like last September, and a trailer could have been put out then, never mind at PSX. But it wasn't, so I am just going on the experience I have to hedge my bets and avoid disappointment.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Himuro » Tue May 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Peter, I must apologize once more for what happened after PSX. I and many others were really frustrated. It's not an excuse but at the time we were in our emotions. It was wrong and inexcusable.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Peter wrote: PSX to be honest. I really don't want to get other people hyped up only then to suffer a backlash from it. I seen what the game looked like last September, and a trailer could have been put out then, never mind at PSX. But it wasn't, so I am just going on the experience I have to hedge my bets and avoid disappointment.

Don't worry about that Peter, it is on anybody's hand to get hyped or not. I appreciate everything you do for shenmue and every info you give on here.
I don't want to get my hopes up too much too for E3 but I can't help it, logic says it's the time for them to reveal it. ;-)
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 16, 2017 2:58 pm

PSX was a unique situation, I think, and unlikely to repeat itself.

Anything you said was obviously in the best intentions and with information you'd been told directly from the development team, Peter. There's no harm there. I don't think any of us would have done any differently if we'd been told the same. Even apart from that, we had seen - or at least perceived - other hints that stoked the fire of expectation.

We're all wiser and stronger for it now though, and in the grand scheme of things we all got over it pretty quickly in the end.

That said... if they skip E3, it's going to be painful. It'll be a total mismanagement of communication if Cedric has been out there still saying December 2017 is the release window, when the situation at YSnet would not have reflected that. I can totally understand if the game isn't ready to show, but if it goes down like that they should have gotten ahead of the issue earlier on.

But on an optimistic note, I don't think they'd leave Cedric out to dry like that with bad information, and on that basis they are preparing for an imminent reveal. E3 is the obvious hope, but even if it doesn't make it I would really, really, really be surprised if there isn't a formal reveal by trailer, or demo, or an extensive update by the end of the Summer.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Himuro
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue May 16, 2017 3:13 pm

I never did get to watch the PSX Dojo stream from last December (I gathered up with a couple of friends and they wanted to see the easyallies stream), but the events that unfolded sound really unfortunate. I had a lot of reservations of the games reveal back then (as I'm sure many were) until Cedric Biscay's comments on the matter... which was a unfortunate set of events that followed here but I hope it is something the community has live and learned through. And going by what we know of it planned have changed, and it's difficult to communicate those changes. I'm sure whatever went through was the best decision (if it were half-baked trailer that seemed incomplete I feel like things would've been much different).

The thing is: Despite PSX 2016 not having a Shenmue reveal... it was a really great event! Granted, I wish Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite wasn't leaked so that it had more impact on stage but that was really awesome to see. In addition, I genuinely never thought Yakuza: Kiwami would get a western release (you never know with that franchise) and it getting sandwiched 6 months between Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6, that seemed totally insane to me and pretty much made 2017 the coolest year of all time xD. And heck, I'm not familiar with wingjammers, but I'm glad to see those fans have their game up in the limelight (and oh my I am so glad the event went smooth... unlike Sonic's Anniversary #TotinoStuffedNachos)
(memes are also okay especially outside of the big three xD).

It's going to be exciting see such a grand event unfold from every competitor. And if all else fails, nothing can take away from the spectacle that was E3 2015 (shenmue frickin 3 was in time magazine and on bbc news website!) and the effort everyone put into that campaign watching the numbers increase... then plateau... then increase. That was one heck of a month.

This time I'm planting my feet firmly at the dojo stream if I can help it (if my internet is funny I'd have to go to a relatives or friends house like last time and watch it with them :/) and it's going to be magnificent.

Live to play, play to live! Now, time to try out this phantom dust port...

P.S: I'm so glad you went through the efforts of making that twitch channel and streaming despite any of that.
P.P.S. Spags beat me to it and said it better :p
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Tue May 16, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Does anyone know how many people work in Shenmue 3?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Cheers for the compliment, Flagship.

Hazuki00 wrote: Does anyone know how many people work in Shenmue 3?

Not exact numbers, no. Even if we knew the exact staff count for YSnet, it'd still be inaccurate because of other development studios assisting (Neilo, for example) as well as contract/freelance staff. It's not a big team on the whole, that much we can assume.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Hazuki00
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue May 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Cheers for the compliment, Flagship.

Not exact numbers, no. Even if we knew the exact staff count for YSnet, it'd still be inaccurate because of other development studios assisting (Neilo, for example) as well as contract/freelance staff. It's not a big team on the whole, that much we can assume.

I always keep forgetting about Neilo's involvement/responsibilities (never seem to find anything on them). To my knowledge though, both YS.net and Neilo are involved with actually coding, developing the game and assets right? Are they a satellite studio for YS.net?

When the kickstarter was announced I always assumed YS.net was very much like Sakaguchi's Mistwalker studios, where they focus on the story, world/lore, art/themes etc and then another studio (like 'Feel+' for Lost Odyssey) actually develops the game and assets, but that's obviously not the case as we began to see development videos. Wish there was more info out there regarding how things operate or perhaps that is more than we need to know at this time xD. (We haven't actually seen Neilo at any instance right?)

If anyone know anything, any information would be helpful because I genuinely don't know.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:I always keep forgetting about Neilo's involvement/responsibilities (never seem to find anything on them). To my knowledge though, both YS.net and Neilo are involved with actually coding, developing the game and assets right? Are they a satellite studio for YS.net?

When the kickstarter was announced I always assumed YS.net was very much like Sakaguchi's Mistwalker studios, where they focus on the story, world/lore, art/themes etc and then another studio (like 'Feel+' for Lost Odyssey) actually develops the game and assets, but that's obviously not the case as we began to see development videos. Wish there was more info out there regarding how things operate or perhaps that is more than we need to know at this time xD. (We haven't actually seen Neilo at any instance right?)

If anyone know anything, any information would be helpful because I genuinely don't know.

I don't think anybody specifically knows what Neilo are doing exactly (they're listed as development support, which could mean lots of things), but the YSnet team are considered the "brain" and where the creative and possibly technical leads all work from along with a team of other staff. I guess you might consider it similar to Mistwalker, but it seems the game designers are at least situated in the YSnet office and not elsewhere.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue May 16, 2017 4:11 pm

I'd say you have all of Okayasu-sans company helping (in a hush hush capacity due to it being his own studio and that would muddy the waters in terms of finances etc), but don't forget there are also 2 YSNET studios working on Shenmue 3. You have the Ebisu studio which I don't know the layout and figures for. I was surprised that's where the package that RyoHD got his package from to be honest. Then there's the Gotanda studio. That's the one we have seen in the Kickstarter videos. There's about 16-24 developers in there, but I would say not at the one time. Especially if they are doing a 24 hour turnaround. That's not including management.

And thank you for the kind words guys. It's always very appreciated. But you know me, and it's really no trouble and also not a lot of work. Anyone could have done it.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Hazuki00, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Cheers for the compliment, Flagship.

I'm impressed, you're like a walking shenmue encyclopedia!

I wonder if they contract all those people they were searching for in that october pamphlet we saw.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Peter wrote: I'd say you have all of Okayasu-sans company helping (in a hush hush capacity due to it being his own studio and that would muddy the waters in terms of finances etc), but don't forget there are also 2 YSNET studios working on Shenmue 3. You have the Ebisu studio which I don't know the layout and figures for. I was surprised that's where the package that RyoHD got his package from to be honest. Then there's the Gotanda studio. That's the one we have seen in the Kickstarter videos. There's about 16-24 developers in there I'd say. That's not including management.

And thank you for the kind words guys. It's always very appreciated. But you know me, and it's really no trouble and also not a lot of work. Anyone could have done it.

It doesn't sound a very small team for me, and if they were able to contract some more, it could be an important number.

Your welcome Peter! I think shenmue community it's one of the best, It seems that the teachings of the 4 wudes have taken effect in all of us :)

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Peter wrote: I'd say you have all of Okayasu-sans company helping (in a hush hush capacity due to it being his own studio and that would muddy the waters in terms of finances etc), but don't forget there are also 2 YSNET studios working on Shenmue 3. You have the Ebisu studio which I don't know the layout and figures for. I was surprised that's where the package that RyoHD got his package from to be honest. Then there's the Gotanda studio. That's the one we have seen in the Kickstarter videos. There's about 16-24 developers in there, but I would say not at the one time. Especially if they are doing a 24 hour turnaround. That's not including management.

Mm. Okayasu's studio being involved too would make sense. I mean, if he's joining the development full time, what the hell are his employees going to do besides go along with him?

As for two YSnet studios... that's totally new information. Very intriguing. I guess we can estimate 50-55 developers at YSnet offices, possibly working in shifts around the clock? That would be pretty crazy... but possibly a good explanation in the continued confidence in the December release date.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue May 16, 2017 4:47 pm

Haahaa not your normal attentive self Spags. Yu made the info about the 2 studios public during the Monaco Conference with David last year ;-)

Thank God too, since I don't want to get into trouble.

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III