Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 am

Sony is involved with Shenmue 3 so Gio Corsi visited the studio to check the status of the game, thats about all that tweet means for Shenmue.

Shenmue 3 being actually ready for an e3 show is an entirely different story.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Wed May 17, 2017 7:43 am

Spaghetti wrote: RE: Gio and Yu last December.

Wasn't that *after* PSX, when Yu was in California for the San Francisco dinner?

*checks*

Yep, about a week later more or less. That seemed to be just a check-in with possibly a project update for Sony.

Thank you for the fact checking. Invaluable, as usual.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Sony is involved with Shenmue 3 so Gio Corsi visited the studio to check the status of the game, thats about all that tweet means for Shenmue.

Shenmue 3 being actually ready for an e3 show is an entirely different story.

Oh absolutely.

But that's exactly the point, and the timing can't be ignored. In fact I'd guess Gio's Japan trip is scheduled like this specifically to check up on teams working with Sony's Third Party Production wing and if they're potentially in a state for showing up at E3.

That doesn't automatically confirm Shenmue III appearing, sure. I don't think anybody would argue that.

But, the topic most likely came up between Yu and Gio in conversation. In fact, I'd probably fucking guarantee it. Sony would want to know when they can start promoting the game, and we know for a fact YSnet have had ambitions on showing the game off at a press show since last year.

Maybe Yu told Gio the game would be delayed and they were aiming for TGS or PSX for a re-reveal. Maybe Yu told Gio they'd be publishing a trailer themselves later in the Summer. Maybe Yu and Gio decided together that Shenmue III was ready to reappear at E3.

In a few weeks we'll get an idea of how that conversation went in any case.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Wed May 17, 2017 8:20 am

Yep. No Shenmue 3 information at E3, then an update at the end of June saying the game has been delayed.

As I've said, why tweet this out when surely this would be one of the top secrets heading into the E3 conference. It's like Shuehi tweeting out a picture of him and Fumito Ueda weeks before the 2015 conference. Or Andy House tweeting out a picture of him and Kojima before last year's conference. It doesn't fill me with confidence.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Wed May 17, 2017 8:33 am

Let's assume Shenmue 3 doesn't make an appearence at E3 (and backers don't get any "substantial" update by then), it will be more than necessary for YsNet to communicate very quickly after E3 about the game status.
Seriously, I see major shit storm over YsNet's heads and the Kickstarter thing if they don't fix the PR policy right after E3.

But again, that's assuming Shenmue 3 won't appear at E3. I'm still convinced something Shenmue related is going to happen, even if it's only a wishful thinking.

As I've said, why tweet this out when surely this would be one of the top secrets heading into the E3 conference. It's like Shuehi tweeting out a picture of him and Fumito Ueda weeks before the 2015 conference. Or Andy House tweeting out a picture of him and Kojima before last year's conference. It doesn't fill me with confidence.

I agree and disagree.

You saw the retweets and likes count. You are aware of the answers the tweet is getting.
Voluntarily or not, Gio's tweet is fueling hype for a "Shenmue" appearance. Unfortunately it could backfire and if Shenmue 3 isn't going to appear, 2 years after the glorious E3 2015 announcement... well, if I was Gio, I would refrain to post anything related to Shenmue and Suzuki-San so close to E3.
Last edited by Kiske on Wed May 17, 2017 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Telekill
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Telekill » Wed May 17, 2017 8:35 am

I still have a feeling we'll be seeing something Shenmue related at E3 this year. If an HD Collection is announced, I would be far more willing to accept a delay of Shenmue 3 so that I could simply replay the first two games before moving on to the third.

That said, I will be disappointed if NOTHING Shenmue related is shown at E3. We've been waiting for so long and have seen very little of the upcoming game. In response to Kiske above... I realize that Yu Suzuki is a perfectionist, but I agree that YsNet need to have at least something at E3 after a year and a half of development. It's been long enough to pull the curtain back at least a little.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 am

How would you guys feel if there's not a trailer at the presentations, but some sort of "press-only" trailer/demo ??

Or if there's nothing at E3 but a couple of days later the update drops a substantial trailer ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Kiske » Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 am

shredingskin wrote:
Or if there's nothing at E3 but a couple of days later the update drops a substantial trailer ?

As a fan I would be more than happy with that, but then I would wonder why skip E3?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 am

I would take that as a sign of sony not being "that much into Shenmue".

Do we know if Sony has many exclusives this year ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 am

Peter wrote:As I've said, why tweet this out when surely this would be one of the top secrets heading into the E3 conference. It's like Shuehi tweeting out a picture of him and Fumito Ueda weeks before the 2015 conference. Or Andy House tweeting out a picture of him and Kojima before last year's conference. It doesn't fill me with confidence.

It's basically tradition at this point for Yu and Gio to take a picture for Twitter each time they meet, I don't think showing or not showing at E3 would stop them indulging in that.

But also, the cat's out of the bag for Shenmue III. People know it exists, and it's not a total out of the blue thing if it turns up, where originally even a Twitter photo of a forklift might have given the game away (which it kinda did in 2015, or at least stoked speculation).

Gio probably knows by this point that even being in Japan draws calls for if he's going to see Yu, along with various other questions about Shenmue III or Shenmue HD. His recent photo is more teasing than the others by actually invoking games rather than strictly "always nice to see Yu Suzuki, etc" platitudes, and he'll obviously know what the context of the timing would mean. It's not a smoking gun, and not a confirmation in either direction, but it's something to think about.

Going out on a limb with my own conjecture, I'd say maybe intentionally so. Get a bit of chatter and speculation bubbling. Whether it pays off in the short term is another thing, but I'd say Gio probably knows his PR enough to know there's a time limit on how long you can string people along.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BigTuna » Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 am

Holy cow! This is big!
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:35 am

As I said, if Gio is only visiting Yu and check the progress of shenmue 3, then why does he have to show a shenmue 1? As someone in his position, he should know what this could mean to us and what would cause on Internet.

For most of the fans, all of this you all know what means and what fans could think, if after E3 nothing shenmue related is shown fans will get angry. It's always better not provoke this situations.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Valascaziel » Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 am

I really want to believe this is our year, vindicated for years of pining for a true HD Remaster and a trailer for III that silences the naysayers.

Yeah, it could all be nonsense. However, none of us believed much in a cryptic forklift picture either and look where we ended up.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Wed May 17, 2017 9:52 am

I'm gonna bow out of this for a while. I still don't feel positive about Shenmue having a presence at E3, and we also have an update due before E3 which for all we know, could blatantly say something like, "unfortunately don't expect anything during E3, but we will have a trailer later in the year", or words to that effect.

Either way, I am sure there are great things due for Shenmue. I just don't think the time is now.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 am

Hazuki00 wrote: As I said, if Gio is only visiting Yu and check the progress of shenmue 3, then why does he have to show a shenmue 1? As someone in his position, he should know what this could mean to us and what would cause on Internet.

For most of the fans, all of this you all know what means and what fans could think, if after E3 nothing shenmue related is shown fans will get angry. It's always better not provoke this situations.

This time it's a limited edition of Shenmue, back in December it was a model forklift... we didn't get Shenmue HD as a result. Holding a game case is not significant if considered alone.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III