What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby ys » Mon May 22, 2017 12:22 pm

sand4fish wrote:Twin Peaks is back! Though I doubt it will find success in the mainstream as the new season is more in tone with the prequel movie (Fire walk with me) than any of the previous two seasons. I love it. This is David Lynch weird tension and horror all the way.

There's also the fact that the media landscape is more fragmented these days with more channels and media on demand. When the series started, almost everyone watched and at the same time. Then they talked about it at work/school so it became a phenomenon.

And yes, the opening episodes contain more elements from his movies as I expected. It was clear that they were setting up many different threads at a slower pace. But I fear that this may annoy viewers who are more used to episodes with a clearer conclusion at the end. It's a bit like Shenmue where things are built up at a slower pace to continue the story in other games. There's also bigger and smaller references to the previous seasons which might confuse newcomers.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 pm

Definitely watching the first 2 seasons of Twin Peaks is a must to understand this new one. Overall I find the new series a must watch for anyone who appreciates film. Which other TV series had a gap of over 25 years, and it still presents you with the same original actors in it and the best part, it all ties in perfectly in narrative as if everything was a deadly premonition?

Here is a quick 5 minute recap of the first 2 seasons:
phpBB [video]

sand4fish has received a thanks from: John Doom
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby John Doom » Mon May 22, 2017 1:54 pm

sand4fish wrote:Definitely watching the first 2 seasons of Twin Peaks is a must to understand this new one.

:???: I guess I'll have to watch that recap, then: I gave up on Twin Peaks after it shifted its attention to Nadine becoming a teeneger bodybuilder and Donna acting like a nymphomaniac :D
I loved the first season and the movie, though :)

sand4fish wrote:[...]it all ties in perfectly in narrative as if everything was a deadly premonition?

I see what you did here :D
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby shredingskin » Mon May 22, 2017 6:13 pm

I've downloaded eps 3 and 4, but I'm just looking so much at nier videos I can't get to them.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby myshtuff » Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Twin Peaks was great. Can't wait to watch episodes 3 and 4 in the next day or two. Was so fucking weird and couldn't be better.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby sand4fish » Tue May 23, 2017 12:28 pm

John Doom wrote::???: I guess I'll have to watch that recap, then: I gave up on Twin Peaks after it shifted its attention to Nadine becoming a teeneger bodybuilder and Donna acting like a nymphomaniac :D
I loved the first season and the movie, though :)

Most of the episodes half way season 2 were fillers and too over the top soap opera, and it was a bit of a drag for me to watch as well, but you really should watch the last 2 or 3 episodes at least. It will make the transition to the new season much smoother and coherent.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Twin Peaks Season 3: Episode 1 and 2 - 80% of it was more like a new Lynch movie, 20% Twin Peaks (those cameos were so good!)

Log Lady scenes were so sad. :(
Hawk continues being a bad ass.
The Red Room scenes were intense.
Madeline Zima is one banging hot lady. Mmmhmm. Shame what happened to her.
What's in the box? Hoooooly shit. What in the fuck was that...thing? Was like a Roswell meets Lovecraftian nightmare come to life. Sent chills down my spine.
The evolution of the arm into that giant tree sure is weird. Also, wow at the evil doppelgänger, felt straight from Eraserhead.
That creepy black oil guy in the prison. What in the...?
Phillip Jeffries (David Bowie) reference was a real "wow" moment. The fact that they are recounting such obscure parts of FWWM is so cool. I wonder if they will reference the other FBI Agents as well?
Matthew Lillard probably giving the best performance in his career, was really impressed. Lynch is so good that his direction seems to give actors inspiration to do things they wouldn't otherwise.
That decapitated head with the other man's body...work of BOB or some other evil from the Black Lodge? Either way, that was creepy as heck.
Evil Cooper is both hard to watch since we like Cooper so much already but to see his evil side since his doppelgänger or Bob (or both?) have taken over him making Coop do some really terrible stuff. He reminded me a bit of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet with how intimidating he is. He's one cold mother, right now.
That ending, so melancholic and tongue in cheek.

I liked the humour in it as well, Lynch has definitely still got it. Thankful that it wasn't just like Inland Empire, which was expermental as heck but rather felt like equal parts Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks Season 1, FWWM/Season 2 Finale, Eraserhead, Inland Empire, Blue Velvet and Lost Highway. One of the best opening episodes I've ever seen for a TV show.

No wonder it's being reviewed so highly.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Tue May 23, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm glad others are liking it. I just watched it today, and was thinking the whole time "I'm gonna get on the internet and see nothing but hate," even though I enjoyed it quite a bit. Nice to be wrong.

Henry Spencer wrote:Madeline Zima is one banging hot lady.

That was probably my main takeaway from the entire thing.
It's possible I'm easily distracted.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue May 23, 2017 7:13 pm

OL wrote: I'm glad others are liking it. I just watched it today, and was thinking the whole time "I'm gonna get on the internet and see nothing but hate," even though I enjoyed it quite a bit. Nice to be wrong.

Surprised it was the direct opposite too. The story is so fragmented and weird but surprisingly cohesive in parts at the same time to me. And it's got like 9.4/10 on IMDB and 94% review rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the internet seem to be generally loving it. Am I in bizarro world, I thought Lynch was supposed to be divisive and hard for people to get?

Guess people are slowly realising they need more David Lynch in their lives and appreciate more complex narratives nowadays? Look at all of the films/TV shows (and my god all of those video games) inspired by the works of David Lynch. Guy is a national treasure by now, surely. He isn't getting any younger, I mean, he directed 18 episodes at the age of 69/70? Admirable in itself.

That was probably my main takeaway from the entire thing.
It's possible I'm easily distracted.

Lynch has always, always had a great eye for hot/beautiful ladies. Just look at all of the girls on the original Twin Peaks (Audrey and Shelly especially), Naomi Watts, Laura Harring, Laura Dern, Isabella Rossellini the list goes on and on. Very bangable, one and all.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Thu May 25, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm aware that I'm just talking to myself on this, but the seasons for Arrow and the Flash just ended, and it's... just so weird.
I mean, this entire season on the Flash, everything turned terrible really, really suddenly, and I've pretty much hated it the whole way. Every character (except for one or two) has gone through changes that made me flat-out dislike them, and the story has been riddled with holes and truly idiotic "twists" at pretty much every step. Such a strange sidestep from the first two seasons, which I genuinely enjoyed; they were cheesy, yes, but entertaining nonetheless, and seemingly self-aware enough that the cheesiness was totally excused. This season, by contrast, seemed to take itself way too seriously, and sucked just about all the fun out of everything. And the season finale was no exception. I stuck with the show for the whole season despite thinking it was utter trash because it used to be good, and there's still potential... but goddamn. They even had a musical crossover episode with Supergirl, and that's just... no.
Just no.
Such a disappointment seeing it go so bad so quickly. I may come back and watch a few episodes once it starts again next year, but that'll be its last chance. It's been near-Supergirl levels of bad, and that's hard to come back from.
On the complete opposite side of thing, Arrow was fucking phenomenal this season. Sure, it had its flaws, like it always does (occasional unnecessary chessiness, a tendency to repeat itself a little too often, terrible dialogue now and then), but those flaws were always made up for by great action, a generally really solid plot, and possibly more comic dork fanservice than they've ever indulged in before. Seriously, they introduced mega-obscure DC characters this season like Wild Dog, Vigilante, Ragman, and turned an existing character into Mr Terrific, while also bringing in Talia al Ghul, the original Black Canary, and seemingly giving Deathstroke a much more comic-accurate turn in the finale (which, hopefully, could lead to more appearances in further seasons). And yeah, that finale was pretty damn great.

I'm just absolutely confused how two concurrently-running show led by the exact same creative teams could end up so incredibly disparate in terms of quality. The Flash was total shit, Arrow was fun and excellent. So strange.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 25, 2017 5:51 pm

^ Really like the series but 3rd season yeah..meh season. 2 is still the best. Think they could have done a more traditional Flashpoint. Just replace Thomas Wayne Bats with Robert Queen Arrow or whatever. Good news is next season won't be a speedster.

Anyway watching Twin Peaks to catch up so I can start on season 3.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:45 pm

Netflix's Castlevania

People might hate Konami for reducing its long standing franchises to gambling machines and moving away from videogames, but after watching 4 episodes of Castlevania now I expect them to forgive the company a little bit. It's amazingly good, except for the first episode which I found it to be a bit underdeveloped and generic. But subsequent ones were better by ten-fold with surprisingly solid writing and direction. It's surprising to see how well realized is the main cast, specially Trevor with his anti-hero attitude. The art direction suits well with the adult horror theme and the hand drawn animation is stunning, specially during the action sequences. Speaking of action, I was pleasantly surprised at how tactical the battle of human "army" against demon's were depicted and how well choreographed are the fight scenes. It's currently my favorite thing on Netflix after Stranger Things.

The intro alone intrigued me as it reminds me of Penny Dreadful:

phpBB [video]

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:45 pm

For some reason, I can't stop watching Miami Vice. I was possessed one night last week, and just automatically walked over to my computer, sat down, logged in to Hulu, and started from episode 1. I don't know why yet.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:38 pm

:-k

Might start watching that myself..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:46 pm

sand4fish wrote: Netflix's Castlevania

People might hate Konami for reducing its long standing franchises to gambling machines and moving away from videogames, but after watching 4 episodes of Castlevania now I expect them to forgive the company a little bit. It's amazingly good, except for the first episode which I found it to be a bit underdeveloped and generic. But subsequent ones were better by ten-fold with surprisingly solid writing and direction. It's surprising to see how well realized is the main cast, specially Trevor with his anti-hero attitude. The art direction suits well with the adult horror theme and the hand drawn animation is stunning, specially during the action sequences. Speaking of action, I was pleasantly surprised at how tactical the battle of human "army" against demon's were depicted and how well choreographed are the fight scenes. It's currently my favorite thing on Netflix after Stranger Things.

I'm about two episodes in and it's good but goddamn, its WAY WAY overwritten. Warren Ellis needs to stop masturbating all over himself and just get the fuck on with telling the story instead of droning on and on and on and on and on about a bunch of exposition bullshit.

Good example is the damn bar scene in Ep 2. It could've gone on way shorter than it actually was. Unfortunately, he's a comic writer and getting back into reading modern comics, the writers tend to do that a damn lot. Overexplaining shit and droning on and on about what the main hero had for lunch. And that's the same with old school shit too like Dave Sim (reading Cerebus at the moment), few writers actually get to the point and tell a solid story like Jeff Smith or Christopher Hastings.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic