Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby Centrale » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Spaghetti wrote: SEGA rep kinda dodges the question on Shenmue HD in this interview: https://www.pcinvasion.com/sega-pc-port ... john-clark

PCI: Whenever Shenmue has come up as a potential future HD PC release, licensing issues have been cited. Is that accurate? What are the particular licensing issues there?

JC: Whenever you’re considering re-releasing games from the catalogue you assess everything from technology licences, music licences, voice over artist agreements, in game assets and so on. The more there are, there more time it takes to check.

Nothing new, but I thought I'd post it here all the same. Unfortunately this might inflame the same old arguments about licencing.

You mean the old argument where you insisted that the licensing issues referred solely to in-game product placement and had nothing to do with any tech/middleware? ;) In any case I don't think any spokesperson is ever going to get into more specific detail about which particular licenses were holding things up.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Himuro wrote:He didn't dodge the question though? He was asked about licensing and answered about licensing. The question wasn't asking if Shenmue HD was coming out, it was about licensing. Or maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something?

The journalist seems to be leading the SEGA rep into talking about Shenmue with a trojan horse about licencing, but he doesn't elaborate, or even relate the question back to Shenmue at all. It's a very boilerplate answer that could apply to any re-release, which is specifically how he frames his answer. It's a slightly fancier "no comment".

You can read that positively or negatively. My view is he's very well media trained. He could either know, or not know what's going on with Shenmue HD and still give the same answer to avoid making a headline SEGA may not want right now.

Centrale wrote:You mean the old argument where you insisted that the licensing issues referred solely to in-game product placement and had nothing to do with any tech/middleware? ;) In any case I don't think any spokesperson is ever going to get into more specific detail about which particular licenses were holding things up.

That's the one.

This was actually exactly the thing I was talking about, but fuck it, that old ground has been stomped to death anyway.

They're not going to give us a better answer than Jurgen Post and Dan Sheridan did last year, and especially not with the current rumours.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed May 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Thought I'd run it through Google Translate:

PCI: Whenever Shenmue has come up as a potential future HD PC release, licensing issues have been cited. Is that accurate? What are the particular licensing issues there?

JC: Next question.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby darksniper » Wed May 24, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm just ready to see the doggone game. It's been two years since the announcement and 15 years since I've beat Shenmue II. I just for once want to see what Shenmue III looks like. I hope E3 doesn't disappoint.

Everyone is concerned with Ryo and his model, but I'm eager to see if they get the other models right as well. Especially Ren.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby khmlight3 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:46 pm

I don't think we need to worry about the models the game is still in development.
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby celsowm » Wed May 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Centrale wrote:
They're not going to give us a better answer than Jurgen Post and Dan Sheridan did last year, and especially not with the current rumours.

Speaking about mr. Post:

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/05/24/seg ... step-down/
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed May 24, 2017 4:12 pm

darksniper wrote: I'm just ready to see the doggone game. It's been two years since the announcement and 15 years since I've beat Shenmue II. I just for once want to see what Shenmue III looks like. I hope E3 doesn't disappoint.

Everyone is concerned with Ryo and his model, but I'm eager to see if they get the other models right as well. Especially Ren.

Yuup

They'll likely get Ryo's face down since he's the main character, I'm more interested in the other returning characters like Ren, Lan Di, and Shenhua. Really hope they pull them off.

Also, I hope Ren's English voice actor returns... Wouldn't be the same without him
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby delvec19 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
darksniper wrote: I'm just ready to see the doggone game. It's been two years since the announcement and 15 years since I've beat Shenmue II. I just for once want to see what Shenmue III looks like. I hope E3 doesn't disappoint.

Yuup

They'll likely get Ryo's face down since he's the main character, I'm more interested in the other returning characters like Ren, Lan Di, and Shenhua. Really hope they pull them off.

Also, I hope Ren's English voice actor returns... Wouldn't be the same without him

Only played the PAL version for Dreamcast and obviously had the japanese voices. Ren's voice was awesome in that one as well!

Does anyone know if Shen 3 will have the option to choose English or Japanese voices?
delvec19

Postby japalp » Wed May 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Speaking of voice actors, has anyone heard from any of them about whether they have started recording? Maybe a trailer doesn't need dialogue, but it would be nice to know if they have started recording dialogue.
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby Telekill » Wed May 24, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm not all that worried about the character models. One of the oddest changes was the graphical upgrade from Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4. Drake, Elena and very much Sully looked very different from the third to the fourth. The difference was noticeable at first but I got used to it the more I played. I assume if there are difference in character models from Shenmue 2 to Shenmue 3 that the differences will become used too in a short amount of time.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 24, 2017 4:37 pm

celsowm wrote:Speaking about mr. Post:

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/05/24/seg ... step-down/

That's a shame. Well, sorta. I'll look on him favourably for the Shenmue comments, but beyond that I've got no idea what he was like.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby JohnBlack » Wed May 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Telekill wrote: I'm not all that worried about the character models. One of the oddest changes was the graphical upgrade from Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4. Drake, Elena and very much Sully looked very different from the third to the fourth. The difference was noticeable at first but I got used to it the more I played. I assume if there are difference in character models from Shenmue 2 to Shenmue 3 that the differences will become used too in a short amount of time.

Well Uncharted is kinda different story, they changed models every game for more detailed. And I think its not question of how Ryo looks in previews in general, but how unfinished he looks. If we got super cool realistic model of Ryo - thats great even if he looks different.
JohnBlack

Postby Telekill » Wed May 24, 2017 6:10 pm

JohnBlack wrote:
Telekill wrote: I'm not all that worried about the character models. One of the oddest changes was the graphical upgrade from Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4. Drake, Elena and very much Sully looked very different from the third to the fourth. The difference was noticeable at first but I got used to it the more I played. I assume if there are difference in character models from Shenmue 2 to Shenmue 3 that the differences will become used too in a short amount of time.

Well Uncharted is kinda different story, they changed models every game for more detailed. And I think its not question of how Ryo looks in previews in general, but how unfinished he looks. If we got super cool realistic model of Ryo - thats great even if he looks different.

I don't think we'll get an unfinished Ryo model. In fact, if i remember right, the first two Shenmue games were renowned for how good their character models looked at the time of their release. I have faith that Suzuki and his team will deliver.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby JohnBlack » Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 pm

I don't think we'll get an unfinished Ryo model. In fact, if i remember right, the first two Shenmue games were renowned for how good their character models looked at the time of their release. I have faith that Suzuki and his team will deliver.

SI and SII models actually still looks amazing, I agree with that :)
JohnBlack

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Thu May 25, 2017 6:17 am

The Lake of the Lantern Bugs teaser was released about 2 years ago and Ryo & Shenhua appeared to look on the right track...

I have faith Yu-san & the Shenmue III Team will take care of it...and they can always fix things through downloadable updates later, if need be.

This is For The Fans after all...

phpBB [video]
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III