Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby Gen » Fri May 26, 2017 6:36 am

fittersau wrote:
Gen wrote:
fittersau wrote:
darksniper wrote: I hope they change that ugly font and go back to the original Shenmue font. Don't understand why YS was so insecure about something that's not broken.

Could be copyright reasons...

Also Shenhua in my profile picture was on the official Shenmue 3 website which I hope they'll use her instead.

That's the same E3 model only from a different angle.

I beg to differ. It's a different model. Look at the side hair bangs.

Side hair bangs looks exactly like the e3 trailer model, and everything else. Same eyes , same nose, same lips. Here is the same model and from different angels: http://imgur.com/R2RftPd you can clearly see it's the same model as the one used in the e3 trailer.

Gen has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Fri May 26, 2017 8:02 am

Yeah. Given how variable the Ryo model has looked at different angles and in different lighting conditions, I could totally believe that the renders that appeared during Yu's China trip in 2015 are just the same model.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Gen
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mystere » Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 am

fittersau wrote:Also Shenhua in my profile picture was on the official Shenmue 3 website which I hope they'll use her instead.

That Shenhua looks like a white girl at a Cosplay convention. Certainly nothing like she appeared in SII.

Like the Ryo model, I'm hoping they get Shenhua's appearance to remain true to the previous games (there were some changes between 1 & 2... but mostly minor).

Mystere has received a thanks from: Gen
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gen » Fri May 26, 2017 11:19 am

Mystere wrote:
fittersau wrote:Also Shenhua in my profile picture was on the official Shenmue 3 website which I hope they'll use her instead.

That Shenhua looks like a white girl at a Cosplay convention. Certainly nothing like she appeared in SII.

Like the Ryo model, I'm hoping they get Shenhua's appearance to remain true to the previous games (there were some changes between 1 & 2... but mostly minor).

I agree, though I think there was quite a major improvement from the in-game model in S1 (used in the dreams/visions-cutscenes) to the S2 model. The old model looked a bit too much like an anime character IMO. But the S2 model was perfect, looked more like a chinese girl and closer to the original CGI-artwork.

If there was a major change in the design, it would be interesting if they went with a more realistic design for the main characters, since they were slightly stylized in S1 & S2.

But I hope they keep the appearance from S2 and from what Yu said in the MAGIC-interview about the faces (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjeCsdcSIUs&t=31m6s) I think that’s what they’ll do. With modern graphics they could potentially look very similar to the CGI-artwork in real-time. But we’re just gonna have to wait and see.

Takshi Ito, who worked on the Shenhua models in S1 & S2 is also on board for S3, so that's promising.
Gen

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 26, 2017 1:35 pm

Don't think it will be shown at all. At best a passing mention. I just don't think this game is coming out this year at all. Probably will get delayed until mid 2018.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby BigTuna » Fri May 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Bluecast wrote: Don't think it will be shown at all. At best a passing mention. I just don't think this game is coming out this year at all. Probably will get delayed until mid 2018.

There's no possible way it's coming this year. Shenmue is way too intricate. It's impossible to produce a game like that in only 2 years. But it's fine. I'll wait another 2 or 3 years if I have to. I don't care. I think (hope) we all feel that way. We can be patient. If there's one thing Shenmue has taught us. It's to be patient. I just hope SEGA is kind enough to give us Shenmue HD in the mean time. It'd be stupid if Seaman was a reality but Shenmue wasn't. That's so ridiculous and sad to think about. But I, unfortunately, wouldn't put it passed Sega. I'm hoping for the best at this point. I feel we all should do that.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Until now Cedric and Suzuki have said that they are on schedule so I don't have any reason to think the contrary.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: khmlight3
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Centrale » Fri May 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Shenmue III does have the advantage of having had a lot of pre-production work done prior to its current development period. I'm not sure if it's possible to quantify how much time that counts for in the overall process of bringing forth the completed game, but my impression is that it's a significant amount.

Centrale has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, khmlight3, Telekill
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Sat May 27, 2017 12:47 am

It's not going to be a huge game either so I wouldn't be surprised if it only took them 2 and a half years considering that Suzuki probably had everything planned beforehand and knew exactly what to do.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Sat May 27, 2017 1:44 am

Talking about whether or not they could make a December launch is like our go-to topic right now when we're chomping at the bit for new information. :lol:

May update, please come soon (if at all).

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 am

The last days of each month always pass very slowly and it will be hard till E3. I don't know if they will show anything there but at least we have monthly updates, that relieves me a little.

And this summer they are supposed to send us surveys and ask for directions. For me, this would confirm the december release.

4 days till the update!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat May 27, 2017 9:50 am

Keeping my expectations somewhat low, but open to the possibility they're exceeded a thousand fold. This is Yu Suzuki we're talking about. I don't expect him to disappoint.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Telekill » Sat May 27, 2017 9:59 am

Centrale wrote: Shenmue III does have the advantage of having had a lot of pre-production work done prior to its current development period. I'm not sure if it's possible to quantify how much time that counts for in the overall process of bringing forth the completed game, but my impression is that it's a significant amount.

That's a great point and one that I didn't really think about. Suzuki has stated many times that Shenmue has always been in his thoughts since the series was cut off without an ending. There had to be plenty of the game made for the Kickstarter reveal as well. Obviously not a huge amount, but a decent amount.

The hype is real:

16 days

until Sony's E3 2017 press conference
:rotflmao:

Telekill has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 am

Yu definitely came into Shenmue III with a strong on-paper plan and a wealth of old development documents and art to work with; if that's how we're defining development before the Kickstarter launched. Coding and assets though? Nah.

It's an advantage at least. Not a huge one, as there's always going to be a period of revision to make the vision suit the reality. Knowing what you want and how to make it is half the battle in game development, though.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Sat May 27, 2017 10:59 am

Hazuki00 wrote: Until now Cedric and Suzuki have said that they are on schedule so I don't have any reason to think the contrary.

The lack of content shown is certainly a reason to believe this game isn't coming out in 6-7 months. Not definitive proof, but nothing is until the developer confirms a delay. And until they confirm the game is delayed they will give zero indication that they are not on schedule.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III