Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Bluecast wrote: Is it still the theory that Sony funded the game but used KS to test the waters of interest?

It's still the theory of YouTubers who are way too #woke to believe what The Man tells them, yes.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Tue May 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Bluecast wrote: Is it still the theory that Sony funded the game but used KS to test the waters of interest?

Nah. It's been clarified a few times now that Sony is only handling marketing and publishing of the PS4 version of Shenmue III; allowing YSnet to use more of the money they raised through other means (KS, Shibuya Productions) on development.

I know people raised a stink about it, but it's a good system for making riskier games. Smaller devs get the benefit of a big platform holder like Sony fighting their corner, and Sony hugely limits the amount of financial risk they're exposed to, while still getting niche content to add value to their software library and drive market expansion.

mjq jazz bar wrote: The reality is that Sony is paying for marketing. No one knows anything else. Cedric Biscay's company is supposedly providing financial backing, but no one knows how much. I don't imagine his company has much money, but I don't know the state of his finances, his company's finances or if he has outside investors. Then again, isn't Monaco an incredibly expensive place?

Shibuya Productions have several million tied up in Shenmue III apparently. Cedric Biscay in 2015:

"The budget is about several million euros, funded widely by Shibuya Prod's own funds."

I believe that comment is from Monaco Hebdo.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

It's still the theory of YouTubers who are way too #woke to believe what The Man tells them, yes.

I don't know what that in bold means. I am just not as kept up as most people here about the development of Shenmue III. All I know is. I am getting a PS4 disc and just waiting for the game. So I was just trying to find out.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 30, 2017 4:33 pm

I wasn't having a go at you, I was referring to wherever you might have gotten that idea. Sadly you won't be the only one and many don't have a place like this to clear up such misconceptions.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 30, 2017 4:56 pm

There is misconception because people think Shenmue licence simply belongs to Sony or was bought by them, which is obviously wrong.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Suzuki Yu » Tue May 30, 2017 5:31 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: The reality is that Sony is paying for marketing. No one knows anything else. Cedric Biscay's company is supposedly providing financial backing, but no one knows how much. I don't imagine his company has much money, but I don't know the state of his finances, his company's finances or if he has outside investors. Then again, isn't Monaco an incredibly expensive place?

Sony's involvement is not only with Marketing but also providing technical support in addition to that there is a little help funding the development of the game itself (from the way they say it, sounds like few million maybe 2-3 million)
most of their support is for Marketing and technical support yes but they also participated a little toward game funding.

what we know until now is that Suzuki san is relying more on Kickstarter/paypal funding which is amounted so far about 6.75 million. (about 5 million of that will be used on actual development though)
Shibuya is the biggest investor here comes as a 2nd source of funding that makes me to believe the amount they invested in could be around 3-4 million. (which is also confirmed by Cedric that they invested several millions in the project)
Sony is the 2nd biggest investor (and i am here taking about game funding) i think they might helped with 2-3 million in production.
lastly it was also stated that YsNet secured additional funding maybe by itself or from other unknown parties.

from the above i could easily figure that at least the budget of the game as of now could be more than 10 million
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:(from the way they say it, sounds like few million maybe 2-3 million)

Could you elaborate on how you arrived at these estimates?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Suzuki Yu » Tue May 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Suzuki Yu wrote:(from the way they say it, sounds like few million maybe 2-3 million)

Could you elaborate on how you arrived at these estimates?

it's just an estimation of how little they might helped.
i tried to work my logic here it's not supposed to be bigger than what Shibuya offered and can't get as low as a million either.
at the end of the day Sony has the publishing and exclusivity rights on consoles front, that will take several millions to strike a deal this big that's including marketing, technical support & game development.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:

Sony's involvement is not only with Marketing but also providing technical support in addition to that there is a little help funding the development of the game itself (from the way they say it, sounds like few million maybe 2-3 million)
most of their support is for Marketing and technical support yes but they also participated a little toward game funding.

what we know until now is that Suzuki san is relying more on Kickstarter/paypal funding which is amounted so far about 6.75 million. (about 5 million of that will be used on actual development though)
Shibuya is the biggest investor here comes as a 2nd source of funding that makes me to believe the amount they invested in could be around 3-4 million. (which is also confirmed by Cedric that they invested several millions in the project)
Sony is the 2nd biggest investor (and i am here taking about game funding) i think they might helped with 2-3 million in production.
lastly it was also stated that YsNet secured additional funding maybe by itself or from other unknown parties.

from the above i could easily figure that at least the budget of the game as of now could be more than 10 million

According a Monegasque who did his own investigation on Shibuya Prod, Shenmue III might be developed by an external studio in East of Europe, the place where salaries are still low and quality can be high (e.g. Witcher 3). With every penny smartly spent by YSnet like modern outsourcing, dreaming about a high-quality Shenmue is maybe not especially unrealistic. I refuse to believe that Suzuki accepted to engage in a project of low standard anyway.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Suzuki Yu » Tue May 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Suzuki Yu wrote:

According a Monegasque who did his own investigation on Shibuya Prod, Shenmue III might be developed by an external studio in East of Europe, the place where salaries are still low and quality can be high (e.g. Witcher 3). With every penny smartly spent by YSnet like modern outsourcing, dreaming about a high-quality Shenmue is maybe not especially unrealistic. I refuse to believe that Suzuki accepted to engage in a project of low standard anyway.

it's likely they will use outsourcing for some of the work (like modeling for example) but i don't know if they are willing to deal with anyone who can't speak their native language.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mrandyk » Tue May 30, 2017 7:33 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:My only concern about a delay is whether or not they have enough money to delay the project. I'm assuming they have more money than we think, so hopefully my assumption is correct.

A delay from December 2017 may not truly be a delay to the development team. Many have believed a delay was inevitable all the way back to this game's announcement, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that YS Net never intended on releasing in 2017 either.

This game was crowdfunded. In order to maximize crowdfunding they had to put up the most optimistic target release date as possible, even if the date wasn't realistic. My theory is that YS has planned on a 2018 release all along and thus have budgeted as such.

I'll start getting concerned if this game isn't at E3 2018.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ConanTheKing » Tue May 30, 2017 7:58 pm

It's too early to panic but I knew the risks when I pledged. I am willing to take a chance though but Kickstarter games seem to have more failures than successes.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby Peter » Tue May 30, 2017 8:00 pm

I just submitted my vote in the poll. It was an easy choice :lol:

Peter has received a thanks from: BlueMue
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Tue May 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Yokosuka wrote:

WOW, that would be indeed great, they have some quality programmers there at a very low cost. But I doubt they'll outsource much of the job (if any).
Source ??
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 pm

shredingskin wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

WOW, that would be indeed great, they have some quality programmers there at a very low cost. But I doubt they'll outsource much of the job (if any).
Source ??

SharePlayers a French youtuber and fan of Shenmue who lives in Monaco. Unfortunately the guys in East of Europe refused to give him any detail.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III