Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Update #67: Developer Room Update 3

Postby Peter » Wed May 31, 2017 6:33 am

Talk about Shenmue all you want. I am making the point regarding YSNET reading any community comments, wether or not they do so. So I don't understand the point of your post.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 31, 2017 6:38 am

That we can talk about it all we want and it won't change the actual development.

Asking why people discuss the footage... Being in a forum it's pretty selfexplanatory.

Like really how do you expect people to react: everyone saying "Yu knows" ?? We already know that YS knows how to make videogames, we just share our opinions.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Wed May 31, 2017 6:46 am

And in the quote if mine you included in the post above, I began the relativity of the comment from the point of view that if people are posting opinions in the hope that YSNET are reading them and taking on board, is beyond me. I then go on in the same post to explain why.

So again, I didn't criticize, or ask people to stop talking about anything.

Anything else?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Wed May 31, 2017 6:53 am

Read it again, it reads like "why people critique the video if YSnet won't take notice", basically the same shit I said, but negating why share opinons/banter a little.

And it becomes a circular conversation so I'm out.

Peter wrote:

Anything else?

A whisky would be nice.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 31, 2017 7:00 am

Peter wrote: YSNET don't read these boards so why people are getting into an uproar over the style of a prototype is beyond me. As if something is going to be drastically altered or changed.

I think you been here long enough to know the answer to that. ;-) And as you also know this will pass. People will calm down over it. I personally see nothing in the update getting worried about.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Peter » Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 am

shredingskin wrote: Read it again, it reads like "why people critique the video if YSnet won't take notice", basically the same shit I said, but negating why share opinons/banter a little.

And it becomes a circular conversation so I'm out.

Exactly true. And this isn't getting started you, or anyone posting on here at all... This is exactly what I was saying last night. There are far too many instances of people reading posts as threats. As saying things that it's possible they may not. "Yea, but that sounded like....", "Well that read sorta like...", when the person who has typed the post hasn't even intended that in the first place. It was Darksniper who said he hoped my post wasn't insinuating he wanted Shenmue 3 to fail, and I just raised my hands and said, "what??", out loud. I reread my post over and over and tried to see how he could even get insinuation from my post, and the outcome was that it was just not there.
People are not reading posts as they were intended, and instead of asking, they just jump in with a response that will more than likely lead to all sorts of arguments.

shredingskin wrote:
Peter wrote:

Anything else?

A whisky would be nice.

Fuck yes! Here, have some Glenfiddich. Takeshi-san from MJQ threw me one for free last time I was in.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Gastarot » Wed May 31, 2017 7:13 am

I really like this character design, i like caricature in shenmue !! i juste hope the render will be more "arcade style" and "warm" because Unreal Engine make 3D very cold sometimes.. Anyway i'm very happy by this Shenmue 3 preview :P
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Gen » Wed May 31, 2017 7:18 am

Amir wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Gen wrote: How do we know this character was designed by Miyawaki? Not saying it wasn't but the drawings don't look like his style at all.

Indeed, Amir (who had talks with some Shenmue III devs) said that several charadesigners are working on the project, I believe he meant 2d charadesigners. Althought that doesn't alter the initial argument.

Just to clarify, this is from the Monaco dinner in Feb 2016. We saw some concept hand-drawn sketches for new characters, and I noticed that the style was different from Miyawaki's. I asked Suzuki if it was by Miyawaki and he said that it was not, but would not say who the other artist(s) were. The concepts ranged from "quirky" (though not fantastical) to realistic, and I was encouraged by what I saw. I pointed out one bearded character I thought was particularly cool and Suzuki laughed and said "Maybe Shenmue IV" so that they would have the graphical power to properly render the beard :P

I don't remember seeing the guy in this concept video in those sketches, but this was more than a year ago.

Ok, interesting. I guess we can assume the drawings from the video are not Miyawaki's then.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 am

ShenmueLegacy wrote: <--- Shenmue III would do well in representing the art direction of this avatar.

Hey this is my wallpaper edit based on the marvelous Ricardo's art. Glad I rightly chose the insolent way at the time. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Yokosuka on Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Wed May 31, 2017 9:48 am

Gen wrote:
Amir wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Gen wrote: How do we know this character was designed by Miyawaki? Not saying it wasn't but the drawings don't look like his style at all.

Indeed, Amir (who had talks with some Shenmue III devs) said that several charadesigners are working on the project, I believe he meant 2d charadesigners. Althought that doesn't alter the initial argument.

Just to clarify, this is from the Monaco dinner in Feb 2016. We saw some concept hand-drawn sketches for new characters, and I noticed that the style was different from Miyawaki's. I asked Suzuki if it was by Miyawaki and he said that it was not, but would not say who the other artist(s) were. The concepts ranged from "quirky" (though not fantastical) to realistic, and I was encouraged by what I saw. I pointed out one bearded character I thought was particularly cool and Suzuki laughed and said "Maybe Shenmue IV" so that they would have the graphical power to properly render the beard :P

I don't remember seeing the guy in this concept video in those sketches, but this was more than a year ago.

Ok, interesting. I guess we can assume the drawings from the video are not Miyawaki's then.

Anyway, isn't the style decided by Miyawaki himself? According the accuracy of the 3D model, the style of drawing we saw in the update video must be the base for the YSnet artists and all the other characters they have to materialize.
Since Shenmue II, I believe Miyawaki spent main of his time to work in animation, an industry where you must be able to give up your own personal style and adapt yourself to the impersonal style of anime projects with very strict model sheets. So this art could be technically drawn by anybody.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Gen » Wed May 31, 2017 11:18 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Gen wrote:
Amir wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

Anyway, isn't the style decided by Miyawaki himself? According the accuracy of the 3D model, the style of drawing we saw in the update video must be the base for the YSnet artists and all the other characters they have to materialize.
Since Shenmue II, I believe Miyawaki spent main of his time to work in animation, an industry where you must be able to give up your own personal style and adapt yourself to the impersonal style of anime projects with very strict model sheets. So this art could be technically drawn by anybody.

That's a possibility, or there's a range of styles as Amir seems to indicate.
Gen

Postby ShenSun » Wed May 31, 2017 12:37 pm

phpBB [video]

Absolutely horrified and disgraced by the treatment James from 'That Videogames Show' has received from the community.

This guy has done so much for the community,from interviews, podcasts, lets plays, updates etc and now his show is apparently no longer being promoted on 500k due to him having a different opinion. (He doesn't like the new model either or current practices, but thinks everyone should wait until a full reveal is shown)

He's now left the Shenmue500K community due to this nonsense.

Why on earth is it so hard for people to accept another perspective or take criticism?? Are we not fully grown men/women? Or are we school children throwing temper tantrums at everything that doesn't conform to our own view or the group view?

I sincerely hope for the future of this community that there's more to this story. If you can't take criticism from your own fanbase, then good luck to when Shenmue is back in the mainstream.

Apologies for the mini rant, but i like James and think he's one hell of a guy. He done a lot for us.

ShenSun has received 2 thanks from: darksniper, SickOctopus
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlackHeaven » Wed May 31, 2017 12:47 pm

Wow
BlackHeaven
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 31, 2017 12:53 pm

People are way overreacting to this, Unnecessary drama over a video game. We can have differing opinions and even dislike what some have to say but do we really need to push a panic button act childish over it? No. Mountains out of ant hills. Guys. There is only a few thousand Shenmue fans. Shenmue fans are vocal but a relatively small community. We all played a part and helped get this game to happen. So why are people at each others throats over it? Differing opinions or not shouldn't we all be on this together?
Last edited by Bluecast on Wed May 31, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed May 31, 2017 1:16 pm

Okay ShenSun, you've had your rant, good for you.

Now did it occur to you at any point to get 500K's side of the story?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III