Persona ish games?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Persona ish games?

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 am

I first played SMT with IV and since played a few games in the series..well ok 3 SMT IV,SMT IV:A and SMT Devil Summoner on Saturn and will play more. I first played Persona with Persona 4 last year. I know that Persona is unique in it's genre.I am looking for games that can still scratch the need of something like it.

I know these games are not exactly like Persona but for me meet enough criteria.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE feels like Persona lite. Granted no school tests Calendar or social links but there is still quite a bit of Persona in it's DNA.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth. I have never played or watched Digimon anything until this game and man it's a very good game. I know this is much closer to SMT than Persona but surface level stuff is there. Similar graphics. Teens. Modern Japan and all of them have Shibuya lol. (also like to see different games representation of Shibuya) It still scratches that itch.

I know Trails of Cold Steel has minor comparisons. Like High School social links calendar and tests. Still that game didn't scratch it for me. Great game tho.

Not tried the Akiba series yet.

Caligula on PSVita looks cool but I have no room on my Vita Memory card and the game is digital only in English.

Not that interested in Persona Q. Doesn't look that good.

Anyone have thoughts on games that give them similar vibes even if not totally the same in gameplay?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Persona ish games?

Postby Yama » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:34 am

Here's a simple one... Persona. You listed 4 and 5 but failed to play arguably the best in the series, P2 Tsumi and Batsu. You're welcome, trust me.

P3 is also a gem, as is Soul Hackers.

Yama has received a thanks from: Raithos
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Re: Persona ish games?

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:38 am

Those earlier games esp 1-2 are pretty different than what we have now. P3 seems kinda depressing.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby John Doom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:45 am

:) I agree, you should try one of the two Persona 2 games. Only "Eternal Punishment" was localized in English on ps1, but they were both remade and fully localized on psp.
And if you're into the SMT series, try the first one. Seriously, when I played it, it actually felt like I was on a journey, exploring dangerous environments and finding out dark secrets, much MUCH more than SMT4. The only downside, is that SMT1 requires a lot of grinding compared to other modern RPG games, sometimes it will test your patience because of this :D

John Doom has received a thanks from: Bluecast
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 am

Grinding is my specialty.
Get your mind out of the gutter [-X
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby John Doom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:20 am

:D I knew I shouldn't have picked that word. It's hard (no pun intended :D ) for me to put my thoughts into words in English, because this is not my native language.

Bluecast wrote: P3 seems kinda depressing.

Now that you mention it, SMT1 is probably even more depressing that P3 :D

John Doom has received a thanks from: Bluecast
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:34 am

I often love to grind in a RPG. For hundreds of hours sometimes. I like the feeling of becoming really powerful in a game. By end game you feel pretty confidant nothings going to stand in your way not even the final boss.
phpBB [video]
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Raithos » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:40 am

Yama wrote: Here's a simple one... Persona. You listed 4 and 5 but failed to play arguably the best in the series, P2 Tsumi and Batsu. You're welcome, trust me.

P3 is also a gem, as is Soul Hackers.

I second this. After playing P4 (my first in the series) I went back and bought them all. Played Innocent Sin on PSP and the digital version (PS1) of Eternal Punishment. Hands down the best the series has to offer.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Yama
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm also of the opinion that P2 is really special, as is Soul Hackers. I'd even go as far as to call Soul Hackers my favourite 3DS game, honestly. Persona 2 (both Innocent Sin & Eternal Punishment) have probably my favourite RPG soundtrack next to Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story.

If you're looking for something aesthetically similar, there's always Digimon: Cyber Sleuth and if you enjoy Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocturne and Shin Megami Tensei IV, I'd say that the closest SMT game to Persona is Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse which is a follow up to SMTIV. It has a really fun vibe to it and a fun cast of characters.

EDIT: Also Devil Survivor 2 feels more like Persona whereas Devil Survivor 1 feels more like mainline SMT.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Yeah SMT IV:A is pretty fun as was Digimon. Alright I will give Persona 2 a shot.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Calshot » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:16 pm

I don't know about Persona 3 being that depressing. Depressing things happen, but it's balanced out with the light stuff. It was the one that brought that whole lighthearted high school social aspect to the games after all. If you liked Persona 4, I don't see why you wouldn't like Persona 3.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Yama » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Persona 2 (both Innocent Sin & Eternal Punishment) have probably my favourite RPG soundtrack next to Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story.

To add on to my original statement, I second this whole heartedly. Just as good would be the art direction. The character designs are some of the more unique I've seen to date, with a style all it's own void of any typical anime influence. This game seriously made a lasting impression on me.

Calshot wrote: I don't know about Persona 3 being that depressing. Depressing things happen, but it's balanced out with the light stuff. It was the one that brought that whole lighthearted high school social aspect to the games after all. If you liked Persona 4, I don't see why you wouldn't like Persona 3.

Agreed. I think the tone is equally as dark and light as P4. I much preferred the settings and design though.

Yama has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Return to General Gaming