Switch or PSVR

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:34 am

Because I have a PS4 Pro now, I have no need for my first PS4 and thus will trade it in for credit at a store here in Japan.
What should I get?

Switch or PSVR...This is fair because they are around the same price. (I already have a PS Camera too btw)

I have a feeling most will say Switch and that would make total sense cause its obviously gonna get good games in the future. I would also obviously get zelda and mario kart.
PSVR.. we all know Sony's track record with peripheral support but do any of us really think VR is going to fail? It's obviously the future etc etc
And you all know I am in a romantic relationship with Sony. I actually have many existing games in my library that have PSVR support. So I would initially have all the games I would want to start enjoying it right away. And some other games I dont have yet and/or coming out later I would like to play in VR..
With the Switch I would want to spend another ~100+ for Zelda and Mario Kart. Also the Pro controller $50.

So Switch out the door like ~$550
PSVR ~$450

Bigger question is where I can actually find either of these in Japan. Full of perverts and nomads.
Also I did try the PSVR in the Sony store many times. It's pretty dope.
I never tried a Switch yet. I bet its super dope too. Owners chime in.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: Switch or PSVR

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:39 am

VR seems like the Wii only not as successful right now. Most the games are kinda the same that are just gimmicky. Hey I can do this in first person. Some good ones out there but very few. Switch is loaded with first party games this year. It's getting the same kinda Vita 3rd party support with cool niche Japanese games. If you like Vita and Nintendo first party games then yeah shoot for it. Zelda BoTW is pretty insanely good.
Last edited by Bluecast on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Axm
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Raithos » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:06 am

That's a tough one.

Having tried all three major VR sets, and enjoyed them all, I'm personally still waiting for that killer app. I loved every second of Elite Dangerous but even that's not enough to make me take the plunge. I tried RE7 on my brothers PSVR and while it was definitely cool, I prefer to play it normally. Its not something I would use everyday as it takes actual effort and most of the time I just want to kick back and play. I think VR is in a good spot tech wise, just waiting on actual games. On the Sony front I feel there should have been some major announcements from them by now.

As an early supporter of the move and Vita, I'm skeptical af of PSVR. I don't think VR as a whole will fail no, but that doesn't mean Sony won't let the PSVR fail. If people don't buy it, they will do like they've done in the past. But people won't buy it if they don't show support. A lot of people are still waiting on that. They shut down a studio that made a VR game for them already and that isn't a good sign. I forgot who since its 4 AM right now.

The Switch on the other hand is going 90 miles an hour right now. Launched with good games and there for several I'm waiting on coming out over the next few months. Great piece of hardware with a ton of flexibility. First party support in full swing with several third party dev/publishers signed on. They're breaking sales records left and right so I honestly don't see this having a chance in hell at ending up like the Wii U.

So as you guessed it, my vote is the Switch. But that's not because I don't like PSVR. Besides the reasons I mentioned above, the price. Now is a great time to buy the Switch as that price isn't going anywhere. Its new and selling like crack so that price is going to stay put.

The PSVR on the other hand, has already been $300 (refurb) and $350 brand new more than once here in the US. The stand alone not the bundle. I fully expect a price drop by the holidays, if not then early next year for sure. So it might be best to wait it out and see how that goes.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:47 am

Which platform has the most games you want to play?

Buy that one.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:Which platform has the most games you want to play?

Buy that one.

Mmm.. hypothetically both seems like it.
Raithos made a good point on it though. PSVR has some good experiences and games to play in an alternative way but the killer app thrusting itself into everyones homes just isn't there atm. (that and slow manufacturing from reports) So I guess waiting for that must have or a price drop is a safer bet.
In Japan its still $400 for just the unit minus camera. In some cases in smaller shops over priced to 500-800 due to hentai demand.
If I wait maybe I can get a used one slightly less ejaculated on for cheaper.

But so is the Switch really getting a true mainline Pokemon game? Or is it just the arcade Pokemon tournament fighting game that I play here in Japan sometimes? I was reading conflicting stories before..

Because if Switch IS getting a true mainline rpg Pokemon game then im sold.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:44 am

Axm wrote:But so is the Switch really getting a true mainline Pokemon game? Or is it just the arcade Pokemon tournament fighting game that I play here in Japan sometimes? I was reading conflicting stories before..

Because if Switch IS getting a true mainline rpg Pokemon game then im sold.

Yep! They confirmed it after showing off Pokken Deluxe or whatever its called. BotW, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and a mainline Pokemon RPG. I still can't believe Nintendo is firing on all cylinders right now.

phpBB [video]
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:13 am

Sold.
Should have probably watched that Nintendo Direct before but had a busy week.
Now its just a matter of finding one with black joy cons.
I'm glad the machine is region free too. However, ill probably just buy all my games digital. Not trying to keep track of more physical shit these days.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:57 am

It really just comes down to how much you like Nintendo games.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Kintor » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 am

It seems that Axm has already made his decision. Still, it's worth taking the time to clear up certain misconceptions about VR being promoted in this thread:

Bluecast wrote: VR seems like the Wii only not as successful right now. Most the games are kinda the same that are just gimmicky. Hey I can do this in first person. Some good ones out there but very few. Switch is loaded with first party games this year. It's getting the same kinda Vita 3rd party support with cool niche Japanese games. If you like Vita and Nintendo first party games then yeah shoot for it. Zelda BoTW is pretty insanely good.

Bluecast, I can tell that you've missed the point of VR completely. It's not about a first person view, as you might understand it from games based on older technology. The great appeal of VR is its unrivalled sense of immersion, not just seeing a digital world but actually being a part of that world. Even 2D platformers in VR are enhanced by this immersive quality, while being further strengthened by the sense of presence in games with an actual avatar for the player to use. Just using a VR headset, like PSVR, justifies its own existence.

This is how VR technology is building the foundation of a whole new industry, compared to the passing fad of the Wii. Because while Nintendo may have temporarily tapped into something by popularising a weak form of motion control the true is that VR is an entirely most sophisticated idea. The arrival of VR is made possible through better motion controls, motion sensors, HD smartphone screen and the raw power of cutting edge gaming hardware. The Wii had nowhere to go, you couldn't even realistically swing a sword; VR will only to continue to improve in every facet of its integrated technology.

To buy a PSVR headset is to be an early adopted in a new era of gaming. To understand that the rules about what makes a good game and how the player interacts with each digital world is being rewritten. What we have today are mostly arcade style experiences, combined with interesting tech demos. Yet before the year is out VR will have open-world RPGs and a slew of tactical shooters. The future will offer so much more, including the chance to play epic multiplayer VR games like a full-fledged VRMMORPG.

So then, if it's a question about the future, between the Switch and the PSVR it should be clear that the PSVR is going to win out. Nintendo is using outdated technology and can't find any third-party support, the Switch will have worse third-party support then the Vita. Conversely, Sony has the technology and the backing of the industry to make PSVR a force to be reckoned with in the years ahead. The PS4's 60 million strong userbase eclipses that of the Switch, making it an easy jump to PSVR with the constant release of new third-party VR games.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Axm
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:25 pm

^tl:dr but I already know it's Nintendo teh sux. I also have played VR since the mid 90s.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Well in my personal opinion I wouldn't get much use out of the VR. It would be fun at first but due to the meh quality of it and the little support it gets from anything that doesn't use it as a gimmick I would probably get as much use out of it as an average length game. Personally I would wait until some of the games announced for switch are released and buy it on sale as a bundle then.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:50 pm

I think we're closer to a ps5 than good VR support.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:59 pm

I've tried both the PSVR and the Vive, and I was disappointed with the PSVR's quality in comparison. And even further, while I thought VR was kind of cool, it's nothing I would see myself playing in my leisure time. It's too much effort to deal with, it gives me motion sickness after 30 minutes or so, and the games have more of a "theme park attraction" feeling to them. I'm sure support will probably evolve for it, but I wouldn't even think of getting one. Switch all the way. It'll have games that you're going to want to play.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Switch or PSVR

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 pm

So games I have atm that support the PSVR are..

Resident Evil 7
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Star Wars Battlefront
Drive Club
Geometry Wars 3
Final Fantasy XV
Fallout 4 (update incoming)
Skyrim (update incoming)

Plus cinematic mode for other games and when watching movies.

Games that I will want anyways that can or will also support PSVR:

Ace Combat 7
Gran Turismo Sport
Rez Infinite
Farpoint
Dirt Rally

So then the question is are these games worth playing in VR?
Certainly I can say the most worth it would probably be Ace Combat 7 and Gran Turismo to me..
But after that whats coming out? Sony didn't showcase PSVR to the degree I hoped for at E3.

I guess I should consider the fact that PSVR even though nearing the 2 year mark, is still in its infancy. Also perhaps by the time it does really take off, a version 2 of the hardware might be out.
Also its only available in white.. I have all my entertainment center stuff in black. That would just totally clash like as if...

Axm has received 3 thanks from: KiBa, Kintor, Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Axm wrote:Drive Club
Ace Combat 7
Gran Turismo Sport
Rez Infinite

Those will probably be some of the best. Reviews say Rez is awesome in VR. I bought the physical disc from iam8bit and keep meaning to try it out at my brothers. I think Ace Combat will be the shit in VR. I'm also excited for Project Cars 2.

By the end of the year I'll be deciding between a 4K TV or a VR headset. I don't watch TV but I love buying/watching blu rays. Its going to be a touch choice since I have a free 4K monitor coming from work soon I could watch them on but its only 34' I think.

The first platform that releases a true mech game like Armored Core or Mech Warrior will end up with my money. I kind of thought Sony would have locked FromSoft into doing something already.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to General Gaming