Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:32 pm

MCV UK recently interviewed Sega Europe's executive vice president John Clarke at E3. The interview talks about it's new remasters collection, and the benefits of PC. In regards to the success of it's PC remasters, Clark was asked specifically about Shenmue. Heres what he had to say:

MVCUK wrote:
The success of those titles has meant that gamers have been quick to make lists of other titles they’d love to see on their PCs. The most common title at the top of those lists? Shenmue.

“It’s something we would love to make happen, something we are trying to make happen," Clark says. "I think we want it to happen as much as anybody out there. Yes, it’s a serious task and it’s not a task that we’re not working on, if that makes sense. It’s something we’re actively pursuing.”

We ask whether Sega has its own list of possible console-to-PC conversions? “Yes, which is almost identical, I would say, to the community’s list," Clark replies. "You know, when we launched Bayonetta, there was a list created straight away on Steam that was saying, ‘What games do you want to see Sega release next?’ Those titles have been titles on our list for a long time.”

Disappointing news? Or clever speak? What do you guys think? Not....not working on it??? So you ARE working on it???

Oh Sega....

Full article can be read HERE

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Sega - "actively pursuing" a Shenmue remaster.

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Despite the typical bullshit PR talk ("... not a task we're not working on"? Then they are working on it. Just say it!), this seems pretty damn encouraging. The not so good side about this is that it sounds like it's still a long way coming. Still, better late than ever, though I'd love it if it came out before Shenmue 3.

Also, it really seems that Sega really wants to do a proper remaster, worthy of Shenmue. Then again, what company wouldn't say that?
O Rei do Frango Assado
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Ziming » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 pm

Is "actively pursuing" better than "currently investigating" it?

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 pm

I don't get it.

"Not....not working on Shenmue. Does that make sense?"

Clearly not you buffoon.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Sega not giving a clear cut answer about Shenmue HD? Deja vu?
At this point, deep down I'm afraid Sega is waiting to see if Shenmue 3 will turn out to be a commercial success before deciding to firmly commit to the series once again. Of course hoping here I'm wrong, but it's not really like Sega hasn't disappointed fans before.
Last edited by sand4fish on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:52 pm

I got serious deja vu reading this.

The positive thing to take away from this is the affirmative that they're doing something, and that there's force within SEGA pushing the project.

Other than that, same old same old.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Currently investigating, actively perusing, it all means the same to me. Until they actually confirm that they're working on it or that it's coming out, I don't think I will get excited.

But to be fair, I hardly think they'd just confirm it when asked in an interview. It's an answer that doesn't rule out the possibility of it happening, but is also designed to give nothing away and unfortunately that leaves us with... well, nothing.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:16 pm

It's not a task we're not working on.

Hmm.

I read that as - It's not our utmost priority, but we, like the fans, would like it to happen one day.

A serious task would suggest that there's still a number of stumbling blocks.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 pm

"not not working on it" = not doing nothing, but not actually making it yet either...
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:19 pm

I guess we could all start not buying SEGA games anymore. :lol:

After Sonic Mania. Anddddd Yakuza Kiwami, I guess.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:02 pm

To me, like I said in the past for similar answers when asked about Shenmue, this is SEGA buying time.
I don't read it as "if" but "when" SEGA will do the big step and release Shenmue HD.

What I don't get though is the reason why they want/need to "buy" time.

- Wait for Shenmue 3 sales numbers (unlikely in my opinion)?
- Have a reasonably reliable release date for Shenmue 3 (likely)?
- Adress pending license issues?
- Wait for the right event to make an announcement with some partner (like PSX)?

I don't know, but to me, this is good news.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Honestly I don't even understand any of what they say, the way they talk is so incredibly infuriating and intangible. I don't even know what to think, or anything for that matter, everything went blank after reading that. What's my name again?
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Peter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

It's always been the same for me too, a question of not "if", but "when". The comments from Sega once again, make me happy since they address the game directly, but also frustrate me because of the clear double speak that's going on. Good and bad. Positive and negative. It's been the literal definition of sitting on the fence.

But putting that aside and going back to my beliefs of "if" and not "when", I know it's a test of patience. That's fine with me. I don't mind that. But what I am worried about the most is when they announce it, they make a balls of it in typical Sega fashion. I better not get into work one morning and whilst browsing the net, see that Sega randomly just announced it on a particular day. It deserves a stage, at the press conference. My own personal opinion is that Gamescom is out. Sony won't be at the event outside of a booth in the public area. No press conference, since EA is the only ones having a conference. That leaves TGS, which is doubtful in my opinion, and finally PSX. Of course PSX seems most likely now but how many years can you say that? It just goes on and on.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:44 pm

To be honest, I've always been expecting it to be announced without any fanfare, on a random day. Obviously, I too would much prefer if they announced it at a proper stage, during some press conference, but, alas, I just don't see it happening. Then again, Shenmue 3's Kickstarter was announced at Sony's conference in E3 and it easily became one of the greatest moments in E3 history, so Sega would be smart to announce remasters of the original games in such a fashion too. But this is Sega we're talking about...

Having said that, despite all my cynicism, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a very small hope that we get an announcement at Gamescom. Then again, whenever I play the Euromillions I also have a very small hope I'll win the first prize, but I know very well that I'm just deluding myself.

O Rei do Frango Assado has received a thanks from: Chaikilla
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:this is Sega we're talking about

Just for fun I thought I'd google that phrase.

Would you believe it's seldom used in a positive tone? :lol:

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado, we420
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to Shenmue III