Corey Marshall

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Corey Marshall

Postby ChiefNeo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 am

Has anyone listened to him do the Ryo voice recently? Can he still pull it off? Also, I've seen information both confirming and denying the option for Japanese voice overs. What's the status on that decision?
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Corey Marshall

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:38 am

I've heard his voice in interviews and it doesn't sound all that different, although didn't they do some slight upwards pitching of his voice in the game to make him sound younger originally?

I think the last word on a dual language option was that YSnet would like to include it if the budget allowed but right now they don't know.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby jasonorme666 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 am

I just hope he's a little less robotic this time around.. but not too much.
jasonorme666

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:18 pm

I think the main difference may be the audio quality this time around. I remember the audio from the original Shenmue being terribly compressed and muffled, to the point where I switched TVs multiple times thinking it was that.

Your Boy Leroy has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: God of War

Postby punkmanced » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Your Boy Leroy wrote: I think the main difference may be the audio quality this time around. I remember the audio from the original Shenmue being terribly compressed and muffled, to the point where I switched TVs multiple times thinking it was that.

You're right, but that was only in the English version; the Japanese audio was perfectly crisp, sound-wise.

(Side note- I really hope they pull off dual language tracks this time around.)

punkmanced has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby staplepuffs27 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:02 pm

punkmanced wrote:
Your Boy Leroy wrote: I think the main difference may be the audio quality this time around. I remember the audio from the original Shenmue being terribly compressed and muffled, to the point where I switched TVs multiple times thinking it was that.

You're right, but that was only in the English version; the Japanese audio was perfectly crisp, sound-wise.

On a side note, is the Japanese voice acting considered good compared to the dub?
staplepuffs27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: staplepuffs27
Currently playing: Sonic CD

Postby ChiefNeo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:56 pm

staplepuffs27 wrote:
punkmanced wrote:

On a side note, is the Japanese voice acting considered good compared to the dub?

I find it far superior

ChiefNeo has received a thanks from: iyapol
ChiefNeo

Postby iyapol » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Japanese and English subs all day if we get a choice.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Your Boy Leroy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Yeah, I do remember the Japanese audio for the PAL DC Shenmue II being much better quality-wise.

It may have been my age when I first played it, but I remember really connecting with the original Shenmue a lot more because of the dubbing. Probably just nostalgia talking.
Your Boy Leroy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: God of War

Postby delvec19 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:48 pm

I loved the Japanese voices during my SII PAL runs. Found it much more authentic, even though everyone in China was speaking Japanese lol.
delvec19

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:28 am

I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't get the option to play the game with Japanese voice acting.
With Yu Suzuki mentioning, in all his interviews, that this partnership with Deep Silver has allowed for a much greater financial stability and for a much more ambitious game than originally planned, I sure hope to God that they do the right thing and include Japanese voices in the game's Western version.

This is to say that, to be honest, I don't really care whether Corey Marshall can still do a Ryo voice or not, because I'm not planning on every hearing it.
And I really hope that the voice acting (and the writing) is much improved and up to today's standards.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Postby KidMarine » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:08 am

Yep, Japanese voice acting is essential if you ask me. Shenmue 1 un-dub and the Dreamcast version of II are the way to go, I'd really like to play III in Japanese too.

Really, even if the English voices were top-notch, I'd still rather play in Japanese. English voice acting in China sort of takes me out of the experience a bit. I know they're speaking Japanese and not Chinese, but that's a lot closer than English and Chinese, and a gajin like me can't really tell the difference.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:15 am

As ever, if you want it - make sure YSnet know by sending a polite message over Kickstarter.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:06 am

I always thought that Ryo and the others originally speak English. I mean, how else do you explain every chinese person speaking in Japanese? Exactly. The only explanation is that they all speak English!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Caralho das 5 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:45 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
This is to say that, to be honest, I don't really care whether Corey Marshall can still do a Ryo voice or not, because I'm not planning on every hearing it.

Same...
Caralho das 5
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: battlegrounds!

Next

Return to Shenmue III