New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Ryo & Shenhua models from press release

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:19 am

to be honest i think this looked great, and so did this-

some of the other angles of those early models looked off. but if they looked like these shots it would've been awesome. why? because they look and feel like real people without being too photorealistic.
Shenmue was pretty cutting edge in terms of character models in 1999, it's just that the height of realism was looking like a pretty decent action figure-

today, even with a game that doesn't aspire to photorealism, the character models still look more like people while retaining their recognizablility. the upscale fits with the overall upscale in the stage environment graphics. soulcalibur V was a PS3 game.

I'm not totally against making Ryo resemble the original Dreamcast version more than that early Shenmue III model on top, as much as I like it.

but could they please at least fix the angle of his eyebrows? the new model looks more unnatural than the Dreamcast one, not less. And that's ridiculous.

The pics on top look like a credible authentic successor, and the new models look like an awkward fan project.

That being said, I don't hate them, and I'm sure they'll improve. I just hope they strongly consider the stylistic aspects of the character design, because although we'll be on board no matter what, the new character models, all 4 that we've seen, look like they would alienate anyone that didn't play the old games.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:33 am

All will be corrected in due time. Patience is a virtue.
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:36 am

maybe, but am i the only one that feels that- if you only consider the early S3 models from the angles in my post above (and not those early bad looking ones) the new ones are a step backward, and not just because they're incomplete?

like yes, this Ryo looks bad-

but this, this is already almost 100% perfect

people said the first Shenhua S3 model looked generic, but I thought it looked fine. both in terms of representing the original design, and in the sense that it conveys the character's personality in a naturalistic way.

i feel like there's been a definite stylistic departure. from both the early models and the original games.

if nothing else, I'm sad that we never got to see those early models in the proper maps, because Jesus Christ the maps look fantastic and true to spirit.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:00 am

ShenSun wrote: I hope they give Shenhua her original outfit and hat back. The current version doesn't look great. The hat is too big and the outfit is very generic and bland, with one shade of color.

Ryo continues to look better with each new image released, especially in the playstation blog images

Good comparison below

it looks good. i'd even say i like it. it just doesn't look like Shenmue. it's not true to either the concept art or the DC model.

it's not about the lack of facial animations for me either. he just doesn't have his calm demeanor anymore. and there's a difference between calm and flat- but he's definitely supposed to have an air of calmness that just isn't coming through at all with the new design.

it just doesn't fit the character concept. Ryo doesn't look this emotional. and i'm not referring to the flatness of the DC version either, which was an issue caused by technical limitations. I mean the character concept for Ryo is steadfast and determined, and the new one looks like he's about to cry compared to the original character concept.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:12 am

shenmue852 wrote: maybe, but am i the only one that feels that- if you only consider the early S3 models from the angles in my post above (and not those early bad looking ones) the new ones are a step backward, and not just because they're incomplete?

They are trying a new art design. I did not mind the more realistic approach, but it's their call.

TBH I would have been perfectly fine if this was the final model

The new one is more close to the DC shenmue than the CG/promo Ryo, and looks a little bit younger/chubbier (?).

I'm still fine, I get why they wanted to change the aesthetic, it's just that many had in our head other type of design.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby David Sheep » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Hello everyone, I am new in the forum.

I tried to improve the Ryo Hazuki model of Shenmue III

FIRST TRY

Original

Modified

Comparison

SECOND TRY

Original

Modified

Comparison

Hope you like it!

David Sheep has received a thanks from: Telekill
David Sheep
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Prefer the original, over any of the variations offered.

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby WildManofBorneo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Tetsunari Iwasaki was the lead 3D character designer for both Shenmue and Shenmue 2.

For those of you who are wanting this game to feature identical character models to the first two games, I'd suggest that you try contacting YSNet, Shibuya Productions, Deep Silver, etc and request that they hire him for this project.

WildManofBorneo has received a thanks from: David Sheep
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:39 am

I am pretty disappointed int he models, really. One of the main things that drew me into Shenmue was the graphics, and these models look terrible for a future game in this day and age. I would say the character models look like something out of a korean MMO, but there is black desert online, a korean MMO that was released 2 years ago, and its character models are far better than what I am seeing of Shenmue III. This shit looks like a mobile phone game.

It makes no sense for them to abandon the realistic look when we have technology that makes realism 5 billion times easier than it was in 1998 (or even before that when they were working on Shenmue for the saturn). They don't even have to develop a game engine anymore since so many are easily licensed these days! Cmon, Yu Suzuki. Step up, senpai.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:47 am

I'm not sure which part of "temporary" some of you just aren't understanding.

You're acting like these models are all final - they aren't, as Yu-san himself has already stated.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, Your Boy Leroy
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:50 am

Sonoshee wrote: I'm not sure which part of "temporary" some of you just aren't understanding.

You're acting like these models are all final - they aren't, as Yu-san himself has already stated.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby sutoji » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:13 am

Just amazing how much Sumo nailed his design, the passport model. It would be a little disappointing if at the end Shenmue 3's Ryo is unmatched with this because the new model still looks far off from this. I would still try to adapt to it with whatever they finish with however.

With that being said, enough moaning from me.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:23 am

David Sheep wrote: Hello everyone, I am new in the forum.

I tried to improve the Ryo Hazuki model of Shenmue III

Hope you like it!

Welcome, I like the second one. Ryo's face could be a little less wide.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Steenkoud » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:36 am

I prefer the old character models (1999) over the new ones. They are ruining it. ](*,)
Steenkoud
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:03 am

Steenkoud wrote: I prefer the old character models (1999) over the new ones. They are ruining it. ](*,)

Yeah, 'cos nearly-twenty-year-old models wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb amongst the UE4 models and environments, not to mention the completely different art style.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III